XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel cooler before/after

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Fuel cooler before/after

I was wondering if anyone knew off hand how effective the fuel cooler is on the XJS? As in actual before and after temps? Or specs on just how much heat the stock AC system can remove under normal circumstances.

I had an inspiration for repurposing the AC system.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Well, not really super great. I mean, it is in the return side of the AC. ResultIng in the freon already being warm due to absorbing the heat from the air in the evaporator/HVAC box behind the dash. So it isn't as effective. I guess, without checking for temperatures, that it isn't going to cool down massivly. As a guesstimate, maybe about 5-10°C. Just enough to be a tad cooler. If it was in the feed piping (from filter/condensor to expansion valve) it would be more effective. People run their V12s without it and have no differences. So it has a very minimal impact in the entire setup.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not agree with you. When it is very warm and a lot of riding around the fuel pump starts to buzz due to overheating. When you turn on the air conditioner after 5-10 minutes it works quietly.

The following 2 users liked this post by xjsv12:
Fla Steve (09-23-2018), Greg in France (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The effectiveness (and importance) of the fuel cooler might well vary according to how much gas is in the tank?

If you have a full 25 gallon fuel load on board and the car has been baking all day in the Las Vegas sun, in August, the cooled fuel returning to the tank might not make much difference. At least not very quickly.

On the other hand, if you have but 5 gallons in the tank.......

Cheers
DD

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
The effectiveness (and importance) of the fuel cooler might well vary according to how much gas is in the tank?

If you have a full 25 gallon fuel load on board and the car has been baking all day in the Las Vegas sun, in August, the cooled fuel returning to the tank might not make much difference. At least not very quickly.

On the other hand, if you have but 5 gallons in the tank.......

Cheers
DD
Exactly that. And also by the return flow rate, which is not really THAT high, when chilled, will not really do much. The circulation of fuel of a fuel tank will take a long time, though at the same time, evaporation in the tank will actually cool the fuel better... But then you can't pump fumes that well...

Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Well, not really super great. I mean, it is in the return side of the AC. ResultIng in the freon already being warm due to absorbing the heat from the air in the evaporator/HVAC box behind the dash. So it isn't as effective. I guess, without checking for temperatures, that it isn't going to cool down massivly. As a guesstimate, maybe about 5-10°C. Just enough to be a tad cooler. If it was in the feed piping (from filter/condensor to expansion valve) it would be more effective. People run their V12s without it and have no differences. So it has a very minimal impact in the entire setup.
I am to an extent with XJSV12 on this one Daim. Obviously the high pressure side would not be much use cooling the fuel, would it? And on my car the return line is really cold and glistening with condensate and very cold to the touch. So I do think it does have an effect. How worthwhile is another question, but XJSV12's findings seem to indicate it does, even if it only reduces pump stress. But I suspect the car can run without it quite happily; after all, how many V12 XJSs are running around with the aircon not working?
Jaguar removed the cooler on later models anyway, so they obviously thought it was not needed, but as it also reduced assembly and parts costs maybe that was a cost rather than an engineering decision?

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (09-23-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

You may happily be so, GiF If these units were really required, they would be fitted to any car. I mean, only the V12 had one... The hotter running V8 doesn't have one. Nor does the current 5.0l Supercharged V8.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Fuel cooler was not fitted to the 6.0L cars.

My AC works but I run around without it on a lot, no issues.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I pitched the GM a/c unit and went with a Sanden compressor and 134A about 4 years ago. I also ditched the fuel cooler at the same time. Have not noticed any negative effects, so I would suspect that its effectiveness was negligible. Then again, I'm not racing, so to someone who wants the utmost in performance maybe it does make a difference.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting responses, I know some 'supercars' use an AC type system to cool incoming air, often built into turbo intercoolers, it functions as a closed system providing cold air supply.

I'm not sure if routing the full A/C capacity to the filter boxes would be of much use even if you had them and the manifolds insulated. That and the plumbing to fit an effective system in the filter box would be too much effort.

Last edited by VancouverXJ6; 09-23-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

The reason it is there is evaporative emissions, the car isn't emissions compliant without the cooler. Jaguar measured fuel temps of 60C without the cooler, thus why it is there. Modern cars don't have it because they do not use a circulating system, there is no return line. The fuel pump is PWM controlled to run based on the engines demand, so the fuel stays in the tank instead of being circulated over a hot engine and picking up a lot of heat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Greg in France (09-24-2018), ronbros (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Jaguar removed the cooler on later models anyway, so they obviously thought it was not needed, but as it also reduced assembly and parts costs maybe that was a cost rather than an engineering decision?
Yes because that the fuel pump in the tank. And I noticed on the XJ40 V12 in the hot weather and a long trip, I have not hear the pump but on the X300 V12 is an hour later the pump is buzzing, especially if there is little fuel.
I believe that many people do not pay attention to this.
XJS V12 convertible from 89 to 92 A/C works automatically, independently the climate control is switched on or not. I read an article about it somewhere.
The fuel cooler was installed on all XJ6 and XJ12 l, 'll, lll series equipped A/C including carburettor and XJS V12 up to 1992.
I think it would not be superfluous for other more modern cars.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jagboi64
the reason it is there is evaporative emissions, the car isn't emissions compliant without the cooler. Jaguar measured fuel temps of 60c without the cooler, thus why it is there. Modern cars don't have it because they do not use a circulating system, there is no return line. The fuel pump is pwm controlled to run based on the engines demand, so the fuel stays in the tank instead of being circulated over a hot engine and picking up a lot of heat.
beat me to it. This is why not needed. You dont send ambient temp fuel to a engine compartment then run it back to a tank where the fuel will eventually go from ambient temps of the air to ambient engine campartment air temps. Also iirc the hp increase of a 10* drop of intake temps gives a 1%hp increase. Why your car runs so much better on cool days vs hot days. Manufacturers will leave stuff off is not really need enmass and to saves a couple pennies. Why we get new cars with little gas and other fluids that have to be topped up on a PDI. Pennies and dollars times 10 of 1000s of cars add up to a lot.

Last edited by Brutal; 09-24-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that there are people who know the optimum intake air temperature. They know and remain silent.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The reason it is there is evaporative emissions, the car isn't emissions compliant without the cooler. Jaguar measured fuel temps of 60C without the cooler, thus why it is there. Modern cars don't have it because they do not use a circulating system, there is no return line. The fuel pump is PWM controlled to run based on the engines demand, so the fuel stays in the tank instead of being circulated over a hot engine and picking up a lot of heat.
So why does my gubbins-free 1989 have it?

It has no emissions control stuff from factory. No cats, no lambda sonds, no charcoal canister, ... But I still have the fuel cooler

And there are quite a few modern day cars with a fuel return system. My 2007 Volvo C30 had a full standard system. My current to be shifted 2018 Fiat 500 1.2l (Fire series) has a return. But they lack fuel coolers and both engines run a lot horten than the XJ-S' V12...

​​​​​

Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
So why does my gubbins-free 1989 have it?
​​​​​
No idea, but it certainly doesn't do any harm. In some ways it's actually a very good thing from the AC system's point of view, as it ensures there is absolutely no liquid going back to the compressor. Slugging a compressor with liquid is a very bad thing! 1960's Chryslers had a similar sort of piping arrangement for that reason of protecting the compressor.

The Euro spec V12's did have a much more complicated ignition timing system than the North American cars to compensate for the lack of catalytic converters, maybe the fuel cooler was the thing that would have tipped emissions over the knife balance? I have no idea.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Just a personal anecdote. 160 mile trip cruising back roads 40-50 mph in 95F temps, no A/C. Fuel vapor recovery system clogged. I first noted a very strong raw fuel odor at stops. Then noticed a visible cloud of light distortion surrounding the fill spout whenever stopped. Pulled over for fuel and had 25-30 psi in the fuel tank. I didn’t gauge it, but opening was a furious discharge that lasted 5-6 seconds. No simple ‘woosh’. Tank was hot to the touch. Not quite as hot as the intake manifold.

Vapor system being clogged was the fault for the pressure build-up, but had it not been clogged I’d just have not known just how hot the fuel gets and just how much is being lost to evaporation on a hot run.

If the fuel circulates through that bay and isn’t cooled it is being heated. Hot fuel is not what anyone wants.

I’ll either her add a fuel cooler out in the nose, or change to a bay mounted sump/pump combo. Circulating only the sump fuel, return to sump, and refilling sump with original pump. All that complexity make a simple finned aluminum fuel cooler sound like the obvious choice for me.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread, but I came across this device when removing the intake manifolds today and was initially confused about how it worked, but assumed it was a fuel cooler and here I am. While I was tracing the line I noticed it bends around, and fairly close to, the rear muffler before entering the fuel tank. I would have to think that any cooling done by the fuel cooler is undone by the exhaust. My line is not shielded, and neither is the exhaust at this location. I don’t have a need to remove it, but I’m frustrated with the fuel lines compression fit to this unit. They are old and also don’t want to come off. I’m a fan of -an fittings and quick releases. I suppose I’ll just convert it all while I’m tearing it down.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by radianation
Old thread, but I came across this device when removing the intake manifolds today and was initially confused about how it worked, but assumed it was a fuel cooler and here I am. While I was tracing the line I noticed it bends around, and fairly close to, the rear muffler before entering the fuel tank. I would have to think that any cooling done by the fuel cooler is undone by the exhaust. My line is not shielded, and neither is the exhaust at this location. I don’t have a need to remove it, but I’m frustrated with the fuel lines compression fit to this unit. They are old and also don’t want to come off. I’m a fan of -an fittings and quick releases. I suppose I’ll just convert it all while I’m tearing it down.
Post pictures! I want to do proper new fuel lines all around but it's pricey. Fuel pump & Filter quick disconnects and shutoff knobs would be great, along with after market pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge...I'm about to be forced to replace fuel regulators for the 3rd time, OEM replacements seem to be terrible.

The following users liked this post:
radianation (03-21-2020)