XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel gauge and light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel gauge and light

Couple of questions, probably unrelated to each other.
1. Does the fuel sending unit control both the gauge and light? My gauge has not been working, but the light came on yesterday, and wont go out. Yup, put gas in it.
2. Still hard to start cold, but does finally. Then just dies after several minutes, that's it, right now, dead. No rhyme or reason. Idling about 750 when it goes. Fuel relay is currently bypassed, may have ECU issue.
Whatever light you can shed---
Thanks
Phil

Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

The sender controls both, but the terminals on the sender are separate, one for the gauge, one for the light, one earth.

Try to diagnose the condition a bit more. Are you sure there is fuel at the rail when it dies? Have you tested for spark when it dies? Have you changed the fuel filter and looked inside the sump tank under the battery for blockages? Does it restart after standing for a bit - if so a fuel problem is a distinct possibility;

greg

Greg

Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Greg,
I have had the sending unit out of the car and tried to ohm it, but really couldn't figure out how. It seems to work, but was a real mess after sitting for 8 years. The float did not appear to be damaged, but I have read something about changing it anyway. Gauge has not been working, but the light did not go out after gassing. May be in line for a new one.

I have pulled and cleaned the sump, and inspected main tank, no debris. I have a fuel pressure tester, and plan on getting a brass T to install in line with an injector and test pressures while running. I should have added I have been chasing idle. I will get it smoothed out, then it just changes speed on its own, both up and down. New coils, plugs and wires. Fuel pump is really loud while running.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by freejag
Greg,
I have had the sending unit out of the car and tried to ohm it, but really couldn't figure out how. It seems to work, but was a real mess after sitting for 8 years. The float did not appear to be damaged, but I have read something about changing it anyway. Gauge has not been working, but the light did not go out after gassing. May be in line for a new one.

I have pulled and cleaned the sump, and inspected main tank, no debris. I have a fuel pressure tester, and plan on getting a brass T to install in line with an injector and test pressures while running. I should have added I have been chasing idle. I will get it smoothed out, then it just changes speed on its own, both up and down. New coils, plugs and wires. Fuel pump is really loud while running.
Thanks
If the fuel pump is really noisy, rather than a fairly highish continuous hum, it could be going home. But it might be a bad feed line from the tank to the sump tank or the sump tank to the pump. Disconnect each of these flexibles in turn and see if the gravity flow is really good. If you are not convinced, shove a bike brake cable outer up the flexible to dislodge any crud. It might even be crud blocking the main tank outlet. If that does release a better flow, chnage the flexible. Have you changed the fuel filter behind the spare wheel, if not, best to do it.

The fuel gauge sender sounds as if it is shot. You can test the gauge by briefly earthing the sender wire while someone watches the gauge (ignition on)., and the light going out by pulling the light connector off the sender. As grant mentioned on another recent post, undoing the fuel feed line the the A bank pressure regulator (US passenger side of the engine) and seeing what the flow is like, is a good basic test. It should roar out.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks Greg,
I pulled the black wire and the light went out. So then I was trying to figure out which of the other two to touch to ground to not hurt anything, so I pulled one of the others and the light went out. So I grounded the other, with wife's help, and the gauge did work. Sending unit looked like crap when I first cleaned the tanks, so no surprise there.

Got a new fuel filter, will change tomorrow. Kinda ashamed to admit this, but I changed the fuel filter after getting the car, BEFORE I pulled and cleaned the crap out of the sump. Hopefully some of my idle chase has to do with a clogged filter. If not, I will replace the pump also.
Phil