Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Fuel pump replacement? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/fuel-pump-replacement-134700/)

Zolomoro 01-13-2015 08:38 AM

Fuel pump replacement?

My 96 XJS would not start back in September. I had no time to work on it until last week. Cracked the nut on the rear end of the fuel supply rail. No fuel when I cranked the engine. Can not hear pump running. Checked and replaced relays. Checked fuses. Still no fuel pump.

Along with this, maybe related to problem -diagnostic instrument will not connect to/read car's computer.

Have had mice under hood. May be problem with wiring.

Is there any way that I can jumper directly from the battery to the fuel pump? I would hate to tear out the back of the car only to find that the pump is not the problem!

sidescrollin 01-13-2015 05:31 PM

Grab a multimeter and see if there is voltage at the pump. On the older cars the pump only comes on for a few seconds, so you may need to get someone to turn it on for you while you check for voltage.

If there is no voltage, you can forget about worrying about the pump, the problem would lay elsewhere

Greg in France 01-14-2015 02:00 AM

I think, repeat think, that the facelifts have an in-tank pump that is not accessible without the tank being removed. Check this first, as if you have, hot wiring the pump directly is probably impossible. No idea where the pump loom is on the facelift.

Greg

baxtor 01-14-2015 04:24 AM

Have you checked your inertia switch? Pump will not run if that has tripped. Passenger side lower A pillar I think.

Zolomoro 01-14-2015 08:01 AM

Fuel Pump Replacement?

Yes, the inertial switch was checked.
There is voltage at the relay. The relay works. The pump is inaccessiblebecause the tank inunder and aft of the back seat. I'm told that it requires removal of all the upholstery from the back to gain access to the tank. The the tank has to be removed to change the pump. This is the procedure thaty I am trying to gain some knowledge of. Have any in the forum gone through this exercise before?

Paul_59 01-14-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zolomoro (Post 1138923)
Yes, the inertial switch was checked.
There is voltage at the relay. The relay works. The pump is inaccessiblebecause the tank inunder and aft of the back seat. I'm told that it requires removal of all the upholstery from the back to gain access to the tank. The the tank has to be removed to change the pump. This is the procedure thaty I am trying to gain some knowledge of. Have any in the forum gone through this exercise before?

On my 1993 6.0 v12 xjs the power feed to the fuel pumps is accessible from the boot (trunk) by removing trim behind spare wheel

sidescrollin 01-14-2015 03:33 PM

yeah, still follow the wiring as a back as you readily can and check for power if possible.

I was thinking the facelifted cars have a submersible pump that was part of the sending unit, but I may be thinking of a different car.