Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Go...no go so good... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/go-no-go-so-good-72374/)

JameyXJ6 04-28-2012 07:36 PM

Go...no go so good...

I've been driving the Jag every day and this morning I finally decided to unload the trunk. Because I haven't exactly trusted the car I've been carrying around more tools than found in an episode of Jersey Shore. Well the car has run quite well with nothing more than a few minor problems that were easily fixed.

I left for work this evening and as I turned onto the main road I realized it wasn't shifting into 3rd. Hmmm...double checked to make sure the shifter was in drive, and it was. My wife happened to be driving the other way and called me on the cell to tell me there was a huge puddle of oil at the stop sign! :icon_bricks:

Turned around immediately and barely rolled into the driveway under it's own power. Didn't have time to climb underneath, but I'm 99.9% sure I blew a transmission line.

M90power 04-28-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6 (Post 505393)
I've been driving the Jag every day and this morning I finally decided to unload the trunk. Because I haven't exactly trusted the car I've been carrying around more tools than found in an episode of Jersey Shore. Well the car has run quite well with nothing more than a few minor problems that were easily fixed.

I left for work this evening and as I turned onto the main road I realized it wasn't shifting into 3rd. Hmmm...double checked to make sure the shifter was in drive, and it was. My wife happened to be driving the other way and called me on the cell to tell me there was a huge puddle of oil at the stop sign! :icon_bricks:

Turned around immediately and barely rolled into the driveway under it's own power. Didn't have time to climb underneath, but I'm 99.9% sure I blew a transmission line.

happened to me the other day.

Grant Francis 04-29-2012 04:22 AM

100% sure that is the gremlin.

Just for fun, when you fix the hose, have a good look at the metal pipes running down the RH side of the engine on their way to the trans. They pass through 2 metal brackets with a double saddle clip thingy holding the pipes firm. WELL, when the car was NEW, those pipes had a rubber type sleeve on them to stop chafing, I bet its long gone, and the metal pipe rubbing on metal bracket rubs a hole in the soft pipe, oil exits very quickly.

One of those brackets is near the starter motor area, on the sump bolt line, the 2nd is just near the engine mount bracket (pain to get at).

Darel 04-29-2012 09:13 AM

When I pulled my radiator the rubber trans lines were so hard they fell right apart into a million pieces when I tried to remove them. Couldn't believe they lasted as long as they did. It could be a 30-minute $10 fix.