Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Growler position on bonnet (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/growler-position-bonnet-112371/)

scottmg 02-23-2014 03:06 AM

Growler position on bonnet

Hi all. I have a growler that I want to put on the bonnet of my 81 pre HE, as I realy like the way it breaks up the huge bonnet expanse.
Obviously I don't want to drill holes in the wrong position.
Can I please ask the help of someone with an HE to measure the position of the badge as accurately as possible so I can get it in the right position? If I get more than 1 kind person responding, I'll average out the measurements.
Thank you. Scotty.
81 pre HE.
Adelaide South Oz.

Brake buster 02-23-2014 05:01 AM

Hi

are you saying there is nothing on the bonnet , as this is a first if it is, or have you already got a ' leaper '

if you have the leaper, then the mounting holes are the same, simply remove and replace with the growler,

other than that , you will be drilling virgin holes in the bonnet ,

or

i suspect that a PO may have filled said holes before a repaint ??

if so you should be able to see them from underneath , between the nose and the brace spar

BB

Greg in France 02-23-2014 08:59 AM

BB

Did the pre HE have a growler at all?

Greg

Brake buster 02-23-2014 10:04 AM

you may be right with that point ?

a quick google of pictures show with and without, so i suppose its correct

BB

scottmg 02-24-2014 01:45 AM

Growler on bonnet

Hi guys.
I believe that Pre HEs were never fitted with growlers. Any pics you see with them fitted would have been retrofitted or a replacement later bonnet fitted. So on my car there are no holes in the bonnet, never had a badge or leaper fitted, which is why I said in my original post that I didn't want to drill holes in the wrong place.
So if some kind forum member could offer some measurements, it sould be appreciated.
Thank you.
Scotty.

Greg in France 02-24-2014 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by scottmg (Post 918048)
Hi guys.
I believe that Pre HEs were never fitted with growlers. Any pics you see with them fitted would have been retrofitted or a replacement later bonnet fitted. So on my car there are no holes in the bonnet, never had a badge or leaper fitted, which is why I said in my original post that I didn't want to drill holes in the wrong place.
So if some kind forum member could offer some measurements, it sould be appreciated.
Thank you.
Scotty.

Scott
The centre, repeat centre, of the growler is exactly 8.5 (8 1/2) inches from the front of the bonnet. Just measured it.

Greg

ronbros 02-24-2014 04:59 PM

i seen an XJS with a growler mounted on the trunk,(boot). lol.

scottmg 02-26-2014 04:19 AM

Growler position on bonnet

Greg in France. Thank you for going to the trouble of measuring the badge position for me. Holes will be drilled & Growler mounted on the weekend.
Scotty.

Greg in France 02-26-2014 05:12 AM

Great stuff. FWIW, I think it is worth putting a bit of seam sealer under the rubber outer round the holes. These are a notorious rust point as water can get under the seal quite easily. If it squeezes out slightly when you fix the growler down, it is easily wiped away.

Greg

baxtor 02-26-2014 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by scottmg (Post 918048)
Hi guys.
Thank you.
Scotty.

I have a '76 and as far as I know it is as built, complete with growler

rgp 02-26-2014 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor (Post 919426)
I have a '76 and as far as I know it is as built, complete with growler

just watched to new avengers and gambits P reg xjs which was supplied to the show by B.L. had nothing on the bonnet,

scottmg 03-01-2014 01:30 AM

Growler on bonnet

Further to the debate over pre HE XJ-S growlers, I did some research and can confirm that the Growler badge was not introduced until the HE launch in 1981. So any pre HE cars with growlers have been retrofitted.
The genuine Jaguar Heritage cd rom with all parts manuals do not list bonnet badges until the HE.
The book Jaguar XJS Restoration & Maintenance by Jim Patten, re XJ-S HE 1981 on page 96 states..."The most significant addition...came in the form of the now familiar die cast bonnet growler. Up to now the sleek bonnet had been devoid of chrome strips and other decorative features."
Plus, I checked episodes of "Return of the Saint" and Simon Templar's XJ-S did not have a growler either. So I guess if Simon didn't have one then that proves it! LOL.
Have a good weekend guys.