Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   It Happens (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/happens-217120/)

Gunner77 04-30-2019 10:35 AM

It Happens

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9201a05845.jpg

Well she finally suffered from the Harmonic Balancer delaminating problem. So up she goes, and will get started this week on getting it off! My question is besides using the motor what is the easiest way to actually remove the bolt on the Harmonic balancer?

Thanks
Jeremy

1991 XJ-S V12

orangeblossom 04-30-2019 12:08 PM

Hi Jeremy

Although I can't answer your question, I am fascinated as well as a tad mega envious of your lifter, please could you tell me what make it is and also how you find it for working on your XJS as I think I need one in my life

Gunner77 04-30-2019 12:15 PM

HI Orangeblossom,

The lift is made by Quick Jacks, www.quickjacks.com. They are incredible for working on any vehicle, as we all know the hardest thing is getting the car up in the air to do anything (Oil Change, Brakes, suspension etc....), well these things are amazing! They are hydraulically operated and very safe to use (never had them collapse or a car drop). Can be setup and operated to lift a vehicle by one person. They are portable (I use them to life my Dodge Ram W250 Diesel) in my driveway as the truck will not fit in the garage. They provide enough clearance for one to get completely under the car to do any repair or maintenance one would need to do. Since having them I am not sure how I ever survived without them to be honest with you.

-Jeremy-

orangeblossom 04-30-2019 12:34 PM

Many Thanks Jeremy

I will check it out

Fantastic looking Car BTW

Thanks Again

Alex

Gunner77 04-30-2019 12:40 PM

Alex,

Cheers mate! She is a beauty as is all of the XJ-S's. Something classic about these cars is what draws people to them!

-Jeremy-

XJ6Paul 04-30-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gunner77 (Post 2063026)
HI Orangeblossom,

The lift is made by Quick Jacks, www.quickjacks.com. They are incredible for working on any vehicle, as we all know the hardest thing is getting the car up in the air to do anything (Oil Change, Brakes, suspension etc....), well these things are amazing! They are hydraulically operated and very safe to use (never had them collapse or a car drop). Can be setup and operated to lift a vehicle by one person. They are portable (I use them to life my Dodge Ram W250 Diesel) in my driveway as the truck will not fit in the garage. They provide enough clearance for one to get completely under the car to do any repair or maintenance one would need to do. Since having them I am not sure how I ever survived without them to be honest with you.

-Jeremy-

Good luck with the harmonic balancer. I think I have the same issue to address on my XJ12 so look forward to updates.

I think the correct link for your lift/jack is quickjack.com. I've looked at them before but have not purchased yet. Quickjacks.com with an 's' at the end is a different product.

Gunner77 04-30-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by XJ6Paul (Post 2063045)
Good luck with the harmonic balancer. I think I have the same issue to address on my XJ12 so look forward to updates.

I think the correct link for your jack is quickjack.com. I've looked them before but have not purchased yet. Quickjacks.com with an 's' at the end is a different product.

Dang!!!! one letter can make all the difference in the internet world! I'll keep everyone posted as I progress.

-Jeremy-

Time-Pilot 04-30-2019 03:59 PM

I've removed a bunch of them, the last time on an AJ16 XJR, but I always do it the same way. Remove the transmission inspection cover, or starter whichever you have best access to and I jam a long prybar against the teeth and the garage floor. I then bust the front nut loose with my normal 4ft breaker bar.

Some Day, Some Day 04-30-2019 10:40 PM

I've seen those for sale in my local Costco, and always wonder how resistant they are to lateral forces. I'd feel happier if they were braced at the top by connecting bars.
Mind you, they're not cheap. But I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest jack when trusting my life to it....

Gunner77 05-01-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day (Post 2063429)
I've seen those for sale in my local Costco, and always wonder how resistant they are to lateral forces. I'd feel happier if they were braced at the top by connecting bars.
Mind you, they're not cheap. But I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest jack when trusting my life to it....

I have never had a problem with any lateral forces and I am comfortable being underneath the car while it is on the lift. The biggest thing to remember with this lift system is to ensure that the jacks are even with each other. Also there are safety latches that are a physical barrier if the hydraulic pressure fails.

-Jeremy-

Some Day, Some Day 05-01-2019 06:59 AM

I've seen a few videos by the makers demonstrating their stability, and I guess jack stands don't have a much larger footprint either.

71 MKIV 05-04-2019 02:09 PM

not to derail the thread, but the QJ has its drawbacks.
Remember to leave room behind your car as it will shift back about 18 inches. don't ask me how I know this.....

and it looks to me that the XJS will still fall on its nose if you pick it up this way to take the rear sub frame out.

Gunner77 05-06-2019 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 71 MKIV (Post 2065341)
not to derail the thread, but the QJ has its drawbacks.
Remember to leave room behind your car as it will shift back about 18 inches. don't ask me how I know this.....

and it looks to me that the XJS will still fall on its nose if you pick it up this way to take the rear sub frame out.

Well considering I can read (and do it quite well) I know that you have to leave room behind because the manual says you need to! and obviously if I needed to do anything major like pulling the rear sub frame then yes I have the intelligence to either use a proper lift (which I have) or rebalance the car on the QJ.