XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headgaskets, waterpumps and oil leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgaskets, waterpumps and oil leaks!

Hello!

Well I havent been on here for a while at all, and Im sorry if it has just seemed like I have been on here asking about problems and not actually contributing. Im terrible at remembering to visit forums, and I have been super busy on my own XJS, so hopefully now a huge amount of work has been done I can get back to visiting forums and getting back in touch with my family and friends haha!!

I disappeared originally when my engines oil leak got worse and worse. At first I hoped it was the rocker cover gasket, but sadly despite replacing that, the oil leak kept going.
Thats when I decided to take the plunge and do a headgasket job! Once I had removed the head I sent it for skim and full rebuild. I was not surprised as it appears that the person who owned the poor XJS before obviously didnt realise you are meant to put antifreeze in with the water, and I could see by the state of the headgasket that thats why it went, and there is corrosion on the head too due to no antifreeze (be warned people, dont scrimp and save now cos it wont pay off!!).
It all kinda took a while cos I dont have a garage, so I am working out on the drive and battling the elements, hence why it took so long!
Anyway, head came back and was replaced, and all seemed hunky dorey! I ran the engine and voila, it was perfect! But then looking out for more oil leaks I noticed something worse - a coolant leak!
It turned out to be the waterpump, so this was something else that was ordered and replaced. Then, as luck would have it, the oil leak re-appeared - this time from the oil return hose! So the o-ring was replace, and then guess what? The other hose failed as well! So another o-ring was replaced!!!

4 times the beasty broke and not once did it come off the axle stands haha!!! But eventually I managed to be able to get him off of the axle stands Sunday afternoon after a session undersealing.

anyway, some body work was completed, including new front lower wings (both sides) and lips, new panel welded into the rear passenger side wing and some de-chroming of the headlight bezels and upper grill. The new body kit has now been fitted and is awaiting a visit to the body shop Wednesday evening!

Think thats it, but please do take a look at my blog for more intricate details of what I have been up to: http://projectjaguar.wordpress.com

When I find my camera I hope to take some photos, but until after christmas I can only take "teaser" shots im afraid