Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Classics ) > XJS ( X27 )
Reload this Page >

If you had $100K would you put it in a XJS?

XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

If you had $100K would you put it in a XJS?

 
  #1  
Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 496
Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts
Default If you had $100K would you put it in a XJS?

I thought about this and I can honestly say no I would not. I like my XJS convertibles for what they are and a big part of that is how much car I was able to get for the price of a worn out TR6. If I truly had $100K sitting around from winning a lottery or something I know I would be looking at a lot of cars ( slightly used of course because even though I would be rich I still do not like the massive depreciation most new cars experience in the first 3-5 years ) and no way would I put $100K into a XJS. I can see getting a Aston Martin V12 coupe for around $50K and then a C7 Z06 convertible seven speed with the other $50K.

So come on would you really put $100K into a XJS if you had it- would you really do that?
 
  #2  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:58 AM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide Stralia
Posts: 19,417
Received 5,741 Likes on 4,120 Posts
Default

NO.

At Aussie prices I would 5, and store them and sit back.

Sleepers they be, and I have 20 years I think, maybe more.

Another guy downunder is collecting XJ40, and I think last count was 11, and $1500 top price for any of them, and he is also on the "sleeper" path, maybe he is better informed,a s I dont see it??
 
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (04-18-2019), ptjs1 (04-19-2019)
  #3  
Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,664
Received 957 Likes on 762 Posts
Default

I agree with Grant. I'd put $100k into XJSs, but not in one car!

Paul
 
The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
89 Jacobra (04-19-2019), Grant Francis (04-18-2019), Greg in France (04-18-2019)
  #4  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 AM
AJ16er's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location:
Posts: 682
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Grant Francis View Post
NO.

At Aussie prices I would 5, and store them and sit back.

Sleepers they be, and I have 20 years I think, maybe more.

Another guy downunder is collecting XJ40, and I think last count was 11, and $1500 top price for any of them, and he is also on the "sleeper" path, maybe he is better informed,a s I dont see it??
Is he a member here? I'd love to see his collection pics.
 
  #5  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide Stralia
Posts: 19,417
Received 5,741 Likes on 4,120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
Is he a member here? I'd love to see his collection pics.
No he is not.

I have not seen them, just heard from him years ago, when we were discussing V12 engines, as you do.

He drove every one of them to his outback property, and stored them, and when bored, "fiddles" with them.

I will ask for snaps next time we touch base, he has NO cell phone signal mostly, and the Internet is sparce at best. usually rings when in Bathurst doing whatever it is he does.
 

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-18-2019 at 08:53 AM.
  #6  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 AM
JigJag's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256
Received 499 Likes on 325 Posts
Default

I’d put it in the glovebox.

Then Drive West. Like Easy Rider, but without the pickup truck full of shotgun.
 
The following 3 users liked this post by JigJag:
Grant Francis (04-18-2019), Greg in France (04-18-2019), ronbros (04-19-2019)
  #7  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Steve M's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 3,823
Received 1,225 Likes on 927 Posts
Default

Maybe if it was a Lister le Mans but otherwise no.

Plus you don't need $100,000 for a V12 Aston:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Asto...s/123415155162

You even get an umbrella!
 
  #8  
Old 04-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 8,958
Received 4,471 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Default

I put it into the petrol tank of my XJS! It would just about see me out !
 
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
89 Jacobra (04-19-2019), Grant Francis (04-18-2019), Some Day, Some Day (04-19-2019)
  #9  
Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 PM
macdoesit's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: choctaw,ok USA
Posts: 1,251
Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

100,000 is far,far from being rich, so no, I would use it for retirement.
 
  #10  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Some Day, Some Day's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,658
Received 839 Likes on 552 Posts
Default

Yes, I would definitely put it in my XJS.
And I would drive my XJS to my bank, take it out of my XJS, and put it in my bank account.
(After getting it converted to yen, perhaps....)
 
  #11  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM
89 Jacobra's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,900
Received 266 Likes on 196 Posts
Default

Well the intent from what I read was. If you had it. FREE MONEY, in other words you had plenty more. Then would you see fit to spend a 100 grand on fixing', sprucing , beautifying your XJS would you??? Yes I would. I mean I'm building my XJS/ Jacobra now, and don't have anywhere near a 100 grand to spend. So my answer is enthusiastically YES!

Jack
 
The following 2 users liked this post by 89 Jacobra:
Flint Ironstag (04-19-2019), ronbros (04-19-2019)
  #12  
Old 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 496
Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra View Post
Well the intent from what I read was. If you had it. FREE MONEY, in other words you had plenty more. Then would you see fit to spend a 100 grand on fixing', sprucing , beautifying your XJS would you??? Yes I would. I mean I'm building my XJS/ Jacobra now, and don't have anywhere near a 100 grand to spend. So my answer is enthusiastically YES!

Jack
Yes, the idea is you just won the lottery or you favorite uncle just passed away and left you millions. The $100K is what you have now just for your fun car budget. You already had a XJS so the question is would you dump the $100K into the XJS to restore it or make it just what you wanted . I would not and the reason why is I really like my XJS convertibles just the way they are.

When you start talking about $100K you really open up a world of possibilities when it comes to used cars and even though I do like my XJS' for what I paid for them I can say without hesitation there are many other wonderful cars I would like to own if I had that kind of spare change sitting around. Here are a couple of examples of what I might consider for my $100K. Of course I would keep one of the XJS for the times when I want to take a relaxing drive in the country LOL :

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest
 

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 04-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.
  #13  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 PM
89 Jacobra's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,900
Received 266 Likes on 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS' View Post
Yes, the idea is you just won the lottery or you favorite uncle just passed away and left you millions. The $100K is what you have now just for your fun car budget. You already had a XJS so the question is would you dump the $100K into the XJS to restore it or make it just what you wanted . I would not and the reason why is I really like my XJS convertibles just the way they are.

When you start talking about $100K you really open up a world of possibilities when it comes to used cars and even though I do like my XJS' for what I paid for them I can say without hesitation there are many other wonderful cars I would like to own if I had that kind of spare change sitting around. Here are a couple of examples of what I might consider for my $100K. Of course I would keep one of the XJS for the times when I want to take a relaxing drive in the country LOL :

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest
Well I have to say in response to the 2 choices you made for alternate vehicles, No and No. I'm not James Bond, and the Aston's never quite did it for me. The Vette? Well with a last name like "Shelby". Nope, I don't like Chevy's, not even the "Plastic Ones". LOL!
Lord, Just let me finish my Jag / Jacobra, and all will be well with the world!

Jack
 

Last edited by 89 Jacobra; 04-19-2019 at 04:40 PM.
  #14  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 496
Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra View Post
Well I have to say in response to the 2 choices you made for alternate vehicles, No and No. I'm not James Bond, and the Aston's never quite did it for me. The Vette? Well with a last name like "Shelby". Nope, I don't like Chevy's, not even the "Plastic Ones". LOL!
Lord, Just let me finish my Jag / Jacobra, and all will be well with the world!

Jack
The DB9 IMHO is one of the most beautiful cars - just stunning. Now when it comes to Corvettes damn I love the sound of the C7 Z06 and 650 HP in a convertible. That combination should keep me awake as I age out-LOL!

Use to be a Mustang fan but so many running around I just got to the point that I could care less about any of them. Well, I should say I would not turn away a GT350 or maybe a Shelby but would take the Z06 first. I would also add the Jaguar F type coupe is a very nice looking car and you do not see many of them running around so that would be high on my list and likely would beat out the DB9.
 

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 04-19-2019 at 06:04 PM.
  #15  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:49 PM
warrjon's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vic Australia
Posts: 4,527
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Default

By the time my engine is finished and installed I will have north of $50k invested in my XJS. I will never sell it so the value is of no consequence.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
o1xjr
Off Topic
14
04-05-2019 01:11 AM
tailfin joe
XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 )
54
07-14-2017 08:34 PM
Frog
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
63
01-13-2012 06:56 PM
CarSmartNot
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
54
02-21-2011 12:42 PM
jagxkrtoofast
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
15
09-13-2010 11:40 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you had $100K would you put it in a XJS?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: