Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Jose Canseco's former XJS for sale (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/jose-cansecos-former-xjs-sale-104826/)

Zar 10-19-2013 06:58 PM

Jose Canseco's former XJS for sale

Saw this for sale very close to were I live. Thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this. Man this car screams 80's!

1989 Jaguar XJS

Mkii250 10-19-2013 07:54 PM

How the heck did he fit in that?

LuvmyXJS' 10-19-2013 08:06 PM

This was for sale aprox. 1 year ago I think on E-bay. Good luck getting anywhere near $ 54K.

sidescrollin 10-20-2013 08:40 AM

ehhh...i guess its neat, but it is kind of dumb imo. All they did was add a body kit and a stereo. Its the stock car, which with all that money could be VASTLY improved with a 5 or 6 speed. For all that money you could get a lot more XJS.

Also the 80s square body lines do not at all fit the endlessly curved XJS. Lister did a good job, but this looks like a high end ricer.

Scoupe89 10-20-2013 02:50 PM

Great car looks like they started with a stock '89 similar to my first '89.
It was a fun car. Glad to see these cars are still popular.

86jag 10-20-2013 06:05 PM

That was a conversion done by Koenig. Here is some more info on the cars: 1982 Jaguar XJS Koenig Specials 5.3/300 HP, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

BlueSurf 10-20-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 86jag (Post 837394)
That was a conversion done by Koenig. Here is some more info on the cars: 1982 Jaguar XJS Koenig Specials 5.3/300 HP, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

Looks like a great car to have....

here is the sale of that car:

1982 Jaguar XJS Koenig Specials 5.3/300 HP, Automatic
Chassis#: SAJNV5849CCC106110 $13,500

Mecum - Anaheim, CA - Auction Results

Nighteyez 10-20-2013 11:45 PM

I like the color, and the wheels, and the window tint does not look bad, but the rear wheel wells, look out of place IMHO.

Jim

sidescrollin 10-21-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nighteyez (Post 837576)
I like the color, and the wheels, and the window tint does not look bad, but the rear wheel wells, look out of place IMHO.

Jim

i think the color wheels look right, as the whole car screams 80's, but the chrome is totally out of place after adding all those lines! should have painted the chrome black.

Also knowing it has basically stock engine and tranny with the widebody seems a little lame

AllanG 10-21-2013 07:25 AM

Not sure how easy it would be to find 285/50 15 tires for the rear!!

Cheers,

Allan

LuvmyXJS' 10-21-2013 08:26 AM

I really like the Koenig conversion. If I were going to get one I would want the 700HP variant. If you look on line at the Koenig XJS cars there was another wheel package that was available for this car that does not scream 80's. Looks like a polished aluminum finish but is in my opinion a much better look for the car ( the gold honey comb wheel again just screams 1980s ). I also like the car in a solid red or blue or even BRG. The burnt orange color of this one just does not do it for me as IMO it makes the car look a bit cartoon ish. I also really like the small hood scoop that I have seen on many of the Koenig's. Done right these cars just look like they mean business but at anywhere near the $54K price point you should be able to get the cleanest 700HP variant which will back up the way it looks.

LuvmyXJS' 10-21-2013 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the wheel package I was talking about on a Koenig :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1382367333I also like the color on this one.

86jag 10-24-2013 05:59 PM

FYI: you just posted a Lister XJS. Are you sure the Koneig would have the same wheels as Lister had for their conversion?

You can get the 285 width tires on 15" rims, they is a series of BFGoodrich tires designed for muscle cars with 15" and 14" rims that go up to 305 widths.

LuvmyXJS' 10-24-2013 09:34 PM

You are correct this is a Lister I showed. Not sure if you can get the same wheel package on the Koenig but I do prefer this wheel package. The Koenig gold honeycomb wheel just dates the car to my eye.

I like certain aspects of the Koenig body kit and also parts of the Lister. Not sure I care for the Koenig qtr. panel treatment compared to the Lister. But I would be a happy XJS owner if I had the chance to own either and you can always change the wheels or change the gold paint to silver or black-just something other then gold.

My favorite XJS that I have seen in photos is the Bradenburger Lister Jaguar XJS. It is lowered to just the right stance and is a all black coupe with smoked tail lamps. Very nice looking package and just says " BAD KITY ".

JagZilla 10-25-2013 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS' (Post 837706)
( the gold honey comb wheel again just screams 1980s ).
I also like the car in a solid red or blue or even BRG. The burnt orange color of this one just does not do it for me as IMO it makes the car look a bit cartoon ish.

I like the looks of the Conseco car, with two exceptions:
1. The gold Leaper. Yeah, I'm one of those non-Leaper XJS guys, and I think that a gold plated Leaper is just this side of hideous.
2. The rear wheels don't fill the width of the wide-body fenders. There is at least 3"-4" of fender outside of each rear wheel, which makes it look like a poorly executed suburban garage project, instead of a high-dollar Koenig conversion.

LuvmyXJS, you may want to either calibrate, or replace your monitor. The car looks to be a very vivid candy apple red on my 27" iMac, my Dell desktop PC, and my laptops.

Personally, I like the gold BBS lattice wheels, and would like to find a 17" or 18" set for my Pearl BRG '84. Most of our XJSs are from the 80s, so it's perfectly acceptable to have period-correct aftermarket wheels on them. As it stands now, I have a set of '95 or '96 XJR slotted 17" wheels waiting in the wings, which I will either polish, or have plated in black chrome. I may even paint the inner edges of the slots red, to match the center cap Growler and to add contrast to the fresh Pearl BRG paint when the car is repainted.
Attachment 59814

JagZilla 10-25-2013 02:21 PM

The wheels on that Lister were made by Ronal. They still make a couple watered down one-piece versions of them today (the older versions as on the Lister were 3-piece). You can find them here: Ronal - Ronal Wheels

LuvmyXJS' 10-25-2013 07:43 PM

Hi Scott ( Jagzilla ),

I went back and looked over the photos of the Koenig Conseco car that were posted at the beginning of this post. I guess I will need to check my laptop screen color calibrations because it really appears to have a dark orange pearl look to me. I am not a big fan of red metallic any way so either way I would prefer either solid red or solid black finish.

Nothing wrong with the color of the car but the gold wheels and Hood ornament really screams 1980's. Not really sure the hood ornament really fits the overall look of the car anyway but again just my opinion.

If it were my car it would be black with the gold in the wheels painted black also. I would add a low hood scoop and get rid of the hood ornament. IMO, just because the car was built in the 80's does not mean it has to look like it. It is a conversion XJS car so why not make it the way YOU want it.

Based on what we know about the original owner I would run it with nitros and I would look at a custom lic. plate that said something like " JUICEDXJS "-LOL!!!!!!!

RCG 10-25-2013 08:38 PM

I think the honorable thing to do would be to remove all Jaguar badges.

Mkii250 10-25-2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RCG (Post 841058)
I think the honorable thing to do would be to remove all Jaguar badges.

BAHAHAHA agreed.

JagZilla 10-26-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS' (Post 841020)
If it were my car it would be black with the gold in the wheels painted black also.

That would look good too.

A lot of those Koenig (and other) conversions were stripped of all chrome, and painted a monotone color, usually white. Now THAT screams 80s.