Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Keeping the Windscreen Clean (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/keeping-windscreen-clean-160124/)

orangeblossom 03-27-2016 08:04 AM

Keeping the Windscreen Clean

Hi Guys

Nothing 'Bugs me' more that a dirty/smeary/ Windscreen, It has to look perfect before I go out and over the Years I've tried all sorts of stuff.

Including my all time Favourite, Methylated Spirits which really takes the grease off followed by a Spray with some Furniture Polish (in the UK 'Pledge')

I've also used 'Mer' Car Polish, which is so Amazing that you can't even see the glass!

A quick wipe with a leather, just doesn't do it for me.

So I would be interested to know what you guys use.

ptjs1 03-27-2016 09:43 AM

OB,

rain-X is still my favourite preventative treatment. I remember being fascinated the first time that I used it how I could drive in light rain without using the wipers!

As a cleaner, I use one of the waterless wash products. And of course, a good wipe down of the wiper blades with a paper towel soaked in vinegar. Cheap and very effective!

Paul

Brake buster 03-27-2016 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 1430196)
OB,

rain-X is still my favourite preventative treatment. I remember being fascinated the first time that I used it how I could drive in light rain without using the wipers!

As a cleaner, I use one of the waterless wash products. And of course, a good wipe down of the wiper blades with a paper towel soaked in vinegar. Cheap and very effective!

Paul

Rain-X for me to ,

BB

JagCad 03-27-2016 02:06 PM

Rain x for me as well. I went to the store this morning. Spirit
aka adult beverage supply low. Jeep sure needs a bath. No rain- X on it's glass.

Add to tasks!!

The Jaguar has been so treated. It works just great.

Will we get another rain spell, I sure hope so. We need it badly.
Might just expose the Jaguar....

Carl

orangeblossom 03-27-2016 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 1430196)
OB,

Paul

Hi Paul

I love the idea of Rain-X although I've never tried it, not yet but I will.

If anyone saw me resorting to switching on the Wipers, they might get the impression that I have to work for a living (Lol)

orangeblossom 03-27-2016 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brake buster (Post 1430278)
Rain-X for me to ,

BB

Cheers BB

Lots of votes for Rain-X, I must get some.

orangeblossom 03-27-2016 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1430330)
Rain x for me as well. I went to the store this morning. Spirit
aka adult beverage supply low. Jeep sure needs a bath. No rain- X on it's glass.

Add to tasks!!

The Jaguar has been so treated. It works just great.

Will we get another rain spell, I sure hope so. We need it badly.
Might just expose the Jaguar....

Carl

I know what you mean Carl,

Sun Shine and Showers all day long in the UK

Typical Easter Weather, so no surprises there.

I could have done with some Rain-X on the Merc.

sidescrollin 03-27-2016 07:33 PM

I'll use invisible glass if I can, but usually I just windex and keep rain-x on it. If it is dirty I'll use the old newspaper trick to get it good and clean. When detail I clay the windows as well.

My washer has never worked and I've never looked into why, but I can tolerate pretty dirty windows usually.

Grant Francis 03-27-2016 08:09 PM

Autoglym Fast Glass, and/or Autoglym Glass Polish.

Used for them for as long as I can remember.

JimC64 03-27-2016 08:57 PM

Have you checked out Larry Kosilla?
Its probably jusssst a little farther than you want to go, but wow!!!

Paul_59 03-27-2016 09:08 PM

Agreed, Rain X applied after thorough clean including claying.

Similarly I was amazed to see rain run off windscreen without wipers switched on.

Busa 03-28-2016 01:44 AM

I use Autoglym's Fastglass and have done for many years.
I use paper kitchen roll and the whole car takes 5 minutes to clean the glass or 10 minutes if I want it perfect.

orangeblossom 03-28-2016 03:10 AM

Hi Jim

That was a really interesting Video, those Zips were making me nervous but I've just watched some more of his Videos and you are absolutely right, that Guy is Amazing! What he doesn't know about detailing you don't need to know!

JimC64 03-28-2016 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1430753)
Hi Jim

That was a really interesting Video, although I was really grinding my Teeth when I watched it as I found it really hard to take my eyes of what looked like 'metal zips' on that guy's Jacket Pocket.

And as for leaving a Screw driver laying on the Bonnet/Hood, in what appeared to be Windy Conditions, words fail me!

Jeeesh OB, You saw the same things as me then....lol

I absolutely love this guy, Larry Kosilla is his name, a very, very professional detailer.
He details high end cars, you name them, he's done them and at crazy prices and also has his own line of successful detailing products as well as his own show "Drive Clean" I think it 's called.

The process for a really clean windscreen just blew me away, even using 3 or 4 different microfibers, but yes.....
Like you my eyes were drawn to the metal zips on his jacket pocket....I don't think they actually ever caught the paintwork but were close many times for sure.
The products lying on the bonnet were for the video I guess but even so, that long razor driver was scary in such windy conditions, but hey what do I know?
No one pays me £5k to detail their cars....lol

Brake buster 03-28-2016 07:22 AM

i would not want anyone using the bonnet( hood ) of my car as a work bench , i would send him away without payment if i saw him doing that to my car , even if it wasn't a Bently

BB

JagCad 03-28-2016 11:06 AM

Sides:

Yeah, way back when, I removed the washer pump from my 83.
I did a bench test and found it to run just fine. Replaced and rewired.
Dud. flunked that exercise. Oh, well, I'll just squirt on Windex and hand clean. Not much of a rainy season around here anyway. Might just try again.

My Jeep's washers are very "powerfull". So, as it gets foul weather duty, all is well there. I was out of wiper fluid a time or so ago. I added a tad of car wash soap and some plain water. No freeze damage issue at the time. It worked just fine.

Caveat; Too much wax from wash compounds can cause a glare on the glass!!!

Carl

Paul_59 03-28-2016 12:29 PM

In addition to previous posts, remember that whatever screenwash additive you use, the ability of screen wash jets to clean screen is improved by having warm or hot water.
If your XJS has heated washer jets, check that they're working correctly.

orangeblossom 03-28-2016 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin (Post 1430511)
I'll use invisible glass if I can, but usually I just windex and keep rain-x on it. If it is dirty I'll use the old newspaper trick to get it good and clean. When detail I clay the windows as well.

My washer has never worked and I've never looked into why, but I can tolerate pretty dirty windows usually.

Hi Sidescrollin

Many Thanks for replying but I need the Windscreen/Windshield absolutely perfect as I want to Make some Road Trip Videos and Film through the glass.

orangeblossom 03-28-2016 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64 (Post 1430818)
Jeeesh OB, You saw the same things as me then....lol

I absolutely love this guy, Larry Kosilla is his name, a very, very professional detailer.
He details high end cars, you name them, he's done them and at crazy prices and also has his own line of successful detailing products as well as his own show "Drive Clean" I think it 's called.

The process for a really clean windscreen just blew me away, even using 3 or 4 different microfibers, but yes.....
Like you my eyes were drawn to the metal zips on his jacket pocket....I don't think they actually ever caught the paintwork but were close many times for sure.
The products lying on the bonnet were for the video I guess but even so, that long razor driver was scary in such windy conditions, but hey what do I know?
No one pays me £5k to detail their cars....lol

Jim did you just say FIVE GRAND!

If so I'm in the wrong game!

orangeblossom 03-28-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brake buster (Post 1430831)
i would not want anyone using the bonnet( hood ) of my car as a work bench , i would send him away without payment if i saw him doing that to my car , even if it wasn't a Bently

BB

While I would agree with you, I've just watched some more of his Video and I'm really in Awe of what this guy can do.