Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Lattice wheel modification (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/lattice-wheel-modification-81313/)

philhef 09-23-2012 08:27 PM

Lattice wheel modification

Only had my 88 XJS coupe for about two months now and LOVE it. EXCEPT,,,
Those fugly starfish wheels. I quite like the factory BBS style lattice wheels, especially in the chrome, but I don't want to put that much into new wheels right now.
I did pick up a used painted set on Ebay, knowing that I would have to refinish them, no problem with that, they were cheap! Here's the question:
Has anyone ever had them painted gloss black with silver rims? I've looked everywhere but I can't find a photo of a signal red XJS with black lattice wheels. THe other question is if the old school 15" chrome beauty rings with the tabs will fit. I'd like to have the gloss black with chrome outer rims. I remember those rings having spring tabs with sharp teeth that pushed onto the wheel.
Any thoughts?

M90power 09-23-2012 08:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
took these myself. first XJS i ever saw. Red 1990 XJS rouge with red lattice.

Attachment 160379

Attachment 160380

Attachment 160381

Attachment 160382

heres one i found a CL.

Attachment 160383

Doug 09-23-2012 08:53 PM

Over the years I've seen the Lattice wheels in every possible scheme. Chrome, low shine polished, high shine polished, black centers, body colored centers.....

IMHO they look best in the original, simple silver finish. Next to that is the centers in the original silver with the outer rim section lightly polished. Anything else looks unJaguar-like.

Do what you like, of course. It's just that I've always felt that any appearance changes on a Jag are best done with utmost discretion to avoid looking either glitzy or amateurish

Just my two cents. :-)

Cheers
DD

philhef 09-24-2012 07:34 AM

I've seen the red wheels and that's exactly what I'm trying to stay away from. I actually almost bought that same set on eBay just to refinish (very cheap and sold for opening bid) but the seller wouldn't ship, pick up only. I think they look like a garage weekend project but I do appreciate how difficult they must have been to paint!
I debated painting mine black with chrome accents and After seeing the jaguar in Play Misty for Me with Clint Eastwood driving that amazing XK150 I noticed it actually had black wire spoke wheels with chrome jaguar spinners I figured the black with chrome was actually OK. And new jaguars are available with two tone wheels also. Also, I think the black lattice with chrome or silver rims is classic 80's!
I try to keep my upgrades as factory as possible but still make it to my liking.

That being said, if my lattice wheels are in good enough condition to exchange, my first choice is all chrome!!

M90power 09-24-2012 09:05 AM

im looking at some bronze lattice from a 96 and older GP. i think those look great and theyre about an inch taller than my cragars.

Greg Edge 09-25-2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by M90power (Post 586722)
im looking at some bronze lattice from a 96 and older GP. i think those look great and theyre about an inch taller than my cragars.

Cragers, a GM engine and living in West Virginia? There is a red neck joke just waiting to be told. :)

M90power 09-25-2012 07:48 PM

yeah. the joke is, whats weighs less than a modern car and whines like an XKR? my XJS.

and its technically a holden engine.