XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

It lives but don’t move

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default It lives but don’t move

As some of you know, I am heritage a 93 jaguar XJS6 cylinder five-speed. I replaced the fuel pump finally and got it running. It appears to be stuck in gear but won’t move. I believe it is stuck in gear because we try to put it in reverse it simply grinds The gears. I tried looking up how to bleed the hydraulic clutch because the pedal just simply goes to the floor there is no resistance. On another note there is an on off toggle switch on the column which appears to be factory I have no idea what the heck it is. I will attach a picture to show you.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Sounds like either the master or slave cylinder has an internal leak. Certainly try flushing and bleeding with new fluid and see if you can get a solid pedal.

I believe someone posted recently about a Land Rover slave cylinder being usable, as the late original cylinders from Jaguar are NLA. Although that might have been on the X300 forum. Depending upon your VIN, the earlier mater and slave are available.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 PM

I am trying to figure out how to bleed the slave cylinder but can not find the bleed nipple. The book I have has direction and a picture but it is small and hard to see.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

couple questions: How long has the car been sitting? Was the fluid reservoir empty?

On cars that have sat a long time, The pressure plate may stick to the clutch disk and it will not move when the clutch peddle is pushed.

Also, if the reservoir was empty, you can add fluid and pump the peddle repeatedly and you should see some movement on the slave cylinder pushrod, even if you dont bleed it.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM

The car sat for 9ish years.

The Reservoir was empty, it appears to have a leak around the base of the small reservoir.

If the pressure plate is stuck how do I instick it?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Andy

Have you looked for a bleed screw on the side of the Slave Cylinder on the gearbox?

Well done on the Fuel Pump, looks like your getting there.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Andy

Have you looked for a bleed screw on the side of the Slave Cylinder on the gearbox?

Well done on the Fuel Pump, looks like your getting there.
I have but I don’t see one, or at least what I’m used too. Is the bleed screw like the ones on the old chevys and fords, looks like a grease sert?

Old 05-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Andy

I'm the wrong side of the Pond for USA Cars but there must be something somewhere to bleed the Clutch Master Cylinder

Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Andy

I'm the wrong side of the Pond for USA Cars but there must be something somewhere to bleed the Clutch Master Cylinder
this is the picture and instructions in my book. It’s not very helpful. Do you have a picture of the bleeder?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andypayne86
The car sat for 9ish years.

The Reservoir was empty, it appears to have a leak around the base of the small reservoir.

If the pressure plate is stuck how do I instick it?
The images and instructions from what you posted are clear. I wouldn't worry about attaching a bleed hose to the bleed nipple, you can wipe it afterwards. Just fill up the reservoir. With the bleed nipple closed on the slave:
  1. pump it numerous times until you sense some pressure in the peddle.
  2. Hold the peddle down
  3. open the nipple then close it after the flow / air stops coming out.
  4. Take your foot off the peddle and add fluid.
  5. Repeat the same process until you have pressure in the peddle.
  6. Now wipe the mess from the brake fluid, Hopefully you have rags on the ground already

Old 05-28-2018, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Andy

Agree with Unimoged

Those instructions do look clear, except to add that the Bleeding Tube 'looks' to be a Custom item that Screws into the Slave Cylinder, rather than a piece of Tube that just pushes on

Although I could be wrong on that, as its hard to tell from that Photo, which may mean a 'workaround' as Unimoged has suggested

But you've already done the hard bit when you put in that new fuel pump, so if you get a mate to help you, then one way or another I'm sure that you can find a way to do it

Old 05-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Well.... tried to start the change today and it won’t start. I checked the fuel filter and even pulled the pump again to make sure it was getting fuel. It is. But I appear to have lost fire since yesterday. It tried to start a couple times then died and had not fired sense.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Andypayne86
Well.... tried to start the change today and it won’t start. I checked the fuel filter and even pulled the pump again to make sure it was getting fuel. It is. But I appear to have lost fire since yesterday. It tried to start a couple times then died and had not fired sense.
well. I am getting fire but the new fuel pump isn’t pumping. I thought it was but once I had a helping hand and could check everything over easily, I found the pump not pumping. The sound I herd was something else that pumps up when the key is turned

Old 05-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Andy

That noise you heard could have been the Brake Pump

Have you checked the Fuse for the Fuel Pump, which is behind a piece of Trim down by the rear light cluster

Should be on the Passenger Side but might be on the other side of a USA car

Could you borrow a Fuel Pump relay and swap that in to see if that is working, its the Silver one in the boot/trunk near the Firewall and right underneath the Fender/Wing

Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

In your first post you show a picture of a switch, which someone has previously added. I would suggest you investigate whether that is some sort of immobilisation that a previous owner fitted that may be disabling the fuel pump.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:17 AM

After further checking there is power to the pump. I took it back out and the plug inside the housing for the fuel pump was melted. It would appear the pump shorted out. I checked the relays and fuses. They are good.

I tried the switch to see if it was a shutoff but as far as I can tell it doesn’t do anything.

I should have the replacment pump by tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
In your first post you show a picture of a switch, which someone has previously added. I would suggest you investigate whether that is some sort of immobilisation that a previous owner fitted that may be disabling the fuel pump.
So, the switch is not factory? It looks to be factory or professionally installed. The hole is smooth and has a molding seam around the edge.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:17 PM

New fuel pump installed and is working, car has strong blue fire but won’t start

Old 05-31-2018, 03:38 PM

I pulled the injectors cleaned them in the car fired right up. I cannot get the clutch to pump up at all. I have tried it with the Off pumping, and I broke a lying loose to try and bleed it. I never did find anything that resembled a bleeder.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM

I have had no luck pumping up the clutch. I pulled the clutch master cylinder out today there’s no compression in it and it appears the reservoir on it is cracked and leaking. Where is a good place to buy a new master cylinder?

Quick Reply: It lives but don’t move