Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   The Lord of Darkness hits again (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/lord-darkness-hits-again-187239/)

daverb 08-10-2017 04:02 AM

The Lord of Darkness hits again

As most of you know I have spent the last 3 years cleaning and going over the electrics under the hood/bonnet. Finnally had a chance to get the XJS out earlier this year and running great. Well last week we had some very nice cool days and decided to do some wiping down under the the hood and then take it out for a bit of a fun drive, just by chance I left hood up so I can chck the fluid, went to start it up so I can check the tranny fluid and notice a small leak from a fuel hose. No problem, just tighten the clamp a bit (just glad had the hood up and spotted it). Anyhow, went to satr it to make sure of no leaking and it was a no go, no start.

So, found no spark. Nothing Nada, Zip. No spark from plugs, and nothing at the coil, changed out the coil with a spare and still nothing. (have updated to the single coil. so now to get back down and star checking the ignition system and locate the fault, just took some time from it I guess out of some frustration and getting a bit disgusted.

I will beat you Lord Of Darkness. :icon_poop:

Daim 08-10-2017 04:04 AM

Could this be a dreaded shielded wire issue? Sounds like it!

Grant Francis 08-10-2017 05:52 AM

OOPS.

Cleaning under the bonnet has upset the gremlins. They may settle when you leave them alone.

Ign ON, is there 12v at the coil +ve??.

If there is, good, maybe. Now crank the beast, and note if that 12v drops out, or very low. If it does, the Ign Switch electrical section is having a hissy. Getting very common now.

Lets know and then we can move on to plan B C D .......Z

daverb 08-10-2017 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1737912)

That has been replaced when I did all the other work

daverb 08-10-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 1737960)
OOPS.

Cleaning under the bonnet has upset the gremlins. They may settle when you leave them alone.

Ign ON, is there 12v at the coil +ve??.

If there is, good, maybe. Now crank the beast, and note if that 12v drops out, or very low. If it does, the Ign Switch electrical section is having a hissy. Getting very common now.

Lets know and then we can move on to plan B C D .......Z

That will be my next step when I go down to my garage tonight (unless we get the rain storms). ass far as the wiping down I did not spray into the compartment, sprayed a clothe and only wiped off the dust from atop of the rad support and around the fender areas ( maybe the rest got jealous). was reading up on things and am sure its in the ignition system , just have to take it one step at a time :icon_handball:

ronbros 08-10-2017 03:08 PM

OK that Lucas .

JigJag 08-10-2017 07:07 PM

Quickie check is supply 12v to coil +. Try her now.

daverb 08-13-2017 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1737912)

:icon_omg: Well once again Daim you were right, I went down last night and while checking connections,
the 2 prong connector that hooks up to the connector for the dizzy had a couple of sma;; breaks that were not noticed before. So time to make one up, I found a couple of places on EBay that has some 2 wire shielded, just need to see what gauge I need

BC XJS 08-13-2017 12:39 PM

The Lord of Darkness is always lurking