XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel

Hi.
I have xjs 1987 with dayton wire wheels.
I'm looking for lug nuts and washers.
This is a photo fo my wheel.

I think i need 1/2-20 thread. but i'm not sure.
I can't find any websites that sells what i need.
Please tell me the website or part number.
Thank you.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mmac867
Hi.
I have xjs 1987 with dayton wire wheels.

I think i need 1/2-20 thread. but i'm not sure.
I can't find any websites that sells what i need.
Please tell me the website or part number.
Thank you.
Check with Paul's Jag- they have everything you can think of for an XJS.

http://www.paulsjaguar.com

The website is terrible, but its an old-school place. Just give them a call.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Best of luck on your search; I wish I could help. But I have a question for you: How do those spinners attach to the wheels? TIA

Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Default thank you.

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Check with Paul's Jag- they have everything you can think of for an XJS.

http://www.paulsjaguar.com

The website is terrible, but its an old-school place. Just give them a call.

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by Eyeteech
Best of luck on your search; I wish I could help. But I have a question for you: How do those spinners attach to the wheels? TIA

can you explain more about spinners?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM

On these wheels, the spinners are basically the "hubcaps." On true "knock-off" wire wheels, that little jaguar pictured in the middle of that chrome circular thing with the three "wings" on it in your picture, would actually screw on and hold the wire wheel on the hub. They're usually called "knock-offs" or "spinners." Anyway, yours do not hold your wheels on, traditional lug nuts do (as you know since you need them). So, my question is, how is that "hubcap" with the picture of the Jaguar on it attached to the wheel? Sure hope this makes sense.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 PM

On these wheels, the spinners are basically the "hubcaps." On true "knock-off" wire wheels, that little jaguar pictured in the middle of that chrome circular thing with the three "wings" on it in your picture, would actually screw on and hold the wire wheel on the hub. They're usually called "knock-offs" or "spinners." Anyway, yours do not hold your wheels on, traditional lug nuts do (as you know since you need them). So, my question is, how is that "hubcap" with the picture of the Jaguar on it attached to the wheel? Sure hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your explanation.
hubcap is in the picture.
and it is attched to the wheel.
the wheel needs five lug nuts as you can see in the picture.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 AM

How does the hubcap stay attached to the wheel?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

I have the same wheels on my car, and I believe they simply thread on. I haven't had to remove the wheels yet though, so I can't say for certain. As you mentioned earlier, they're purely cosmetic. Dayton offered another design that didn't mimic a knock off, so I think you could choose either when you ordered your wheels.

Attached Thumbnails lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel-dayton-wheel.jpg   lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel-img_3215.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:27 AM
Default I need nuts.

I agree with 01Silverstone. They need nuts to hold the wheels not hubcaps.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Default thank you.

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
I have the same wheels on my car, and I believe they simply thread on. I haven't had to remove the wheels yet though, so I can't say for certain. As you mentioned earlier, they're purely cosmetic. Dayton offered another design that didn't mimic a knock off, so I think you could choose either when you ordered your wheels.

your car is awesome.
Thank you for your answer. I agree with your opinion.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Silver, beautiful Cabriolet. What part of it is magnolia?

I have the same wheels on mine, and I've never had them off either, but it feels like there's a cable or some kind of mechanism that allows me to pull them about 1/4 inch out and when I let go, it pulls them back in, holding the spinner securely to the wheel. They do not screw on and off. I suspect the wheels have to be off the car and they have to be attached somehow from the rear. Your thoughts?

Also, I need to find two of these three-eared spinners with the Jaguar sticker if you know of anyone who has some for sale. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Dayton is still in business. You might want to contact them as well. Also, I have spinners that attach with a backing plate and a single bolt. They have the Jaguar logo, but are for a smaller wire wheel. I found out that there are at least two different sizes of Dayton bolt on wheels. I have both on my car. The larger ones are on the back. Both work

Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Silver, beautiful Cabriolet. What part of it is magnolia?

I have the same wheels on mine, and I've never had them off either, but it feels like there's a cable or some kind of mechanism that allows me to pull them about 1/4 inch out and when I let go, it pulls them back in, holding the spinner securely to the wheel. They do not screw on and off. I suspect the wheels have to be off the car and they have to be attached somehow from the rear. Your thoughts?

Also, I need to find two of these three-eared spinners with the Jaguar sticker if you know of anyone who has some for sale. Thanks.

Thanks! Magnolia is the interior color. There were just over 200 black/magnolia Cabriolets made I believe.

And that's intriguing me now.. I might fool around with them this weekend. One of my front calipers is leaking and will need to be rebuilt, so I'll probably have a wheel off in the near future. I'll report back when I do!

Try Welsh Enterprises for the spinners- they seem to carry lots of various Jaguar Dayton wheels and accessories.

Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar Jaguar Wheels Parts - Dayton Wire Wheels

Attached Thumbnails lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel-interior-3.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
xjsman89 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I just wanted to post for anyone else coming across this thread looking for lug nuts for their 70 spoke Daytons:

When I bought my parents' old XJS back from the man they sold it to, I found my self short 5 lug nuts. I called Dayton first off and they told me that they don't make them anymore. They could custom make as many as I wanted, but it would be $20 per lug nut. I thought that was ludicrous, so I looked around.

First I ordered a set of shank (mag) lugs from McGard, number 62000. These DID NOT work. They're all the right dimensions except for the head. The Dayton wheels use an 11/16" head due to the spokes being so close together that a 13/16 won't fit, which is the head size for every single other 1/2-20 lug nut on the market.

I did, however, score a homerun with the McGard wheel locks, part number 22140. The initial problem here was the diameter of the wheel lock key itself. The lug nut fit, but the key was too wide. I turned down the outer diameter of the key in the lathe real quick and bam! I'm only short one lug nut now, and they're locked on to boot. Even leaving the 13/16 head size on the key, it sticks out enough that you can still get the wheel lock nuts on nice and tight. Only cost me $15 for all four with the key from Summit.

For the final missing lug nut, I called around to a great number of places looking for NOS or an aftermarket solution. Gorilla Automotive, SNG, Truespoke, McGard, Paul's Jaguar (is on vacation for the month of August) Massey's Accessory Shop, etc. Massey's had at least heard of the problem, but didn't have a solution for it. I ended up buying a lug nut from Welsh Enterprises, Inc. (Thanks for the link above, Silverstone! That's how I found them.) and they had purchased a bunch of lugs from Dayton like I was planning on doing as a last resort, so they're an actual genuine Dayton part, not aftermarket. They were still at the $20 price but without the 4-5 week lead time that Dayton quoted me.

So in all, I would recommend the wheel locks to anyone who would like a cheaper solution and has access to a lathe or a machine shop that can turn down the OD of the key for you. The OD on the key only served to help center the locking pattern on the lug and with that gone you have to be a little more precise when putting the key to the lug, but that's a small price to pay. I debated buying a second set of locks and putting two lock nuts on one wheel for the 5th missing lug, but that would have looked a little odd in my opinion. It's not the most fun thing ever paying $20 for a single lug, but better than $100 I suppose!

I hope this helps someone, and if anyone finds a cheaper source for 1/2-20 1" shank lugs with a .684" diameter and an 11/16 head, please share!

Last edited by xjsman89; 08-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those wheels a lot .Nice car.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

I Could be wrong about this but Dayton used to make a 60 spoke wire wheel, that the three ear spinner would fit. Then I understand they discontinued the 60 spoke & went to a 70 spoke, but the three ear spinner no longer fit the 70 . It came with a big hex chrome center. The 3 ear center is held on by a 1/4" stud in the back of the 60 spoke wheel. They were very easy to steal if I remember right. I used big stainless fender washers & nylon locking nuts, so in order to remove the spinner the whole wheel had to be removed.
Lawrence

Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Default lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel

All I know is that I've got 70 spoke Dayton wheels (Dayton cast into the back) and a 3 ear knock off simulator. It's held on by two long machine screws, not sure of the thread off the top of my head but I did have to replace a couple that sheared off at the head due to rust/age/etc. They use a large spacer washer on the back of the wheel and thread through the spacer washer into threads on the knock off itself, so you would need the wheel off before you could take them.

Here's a picture, with the wheel lock installed. (The wheels are pretty dirty still, I was more focused on getting the car running first!)

Name:  20150811_072242_zpsxdtb7wdx.jpg
Views: 4255
Size:  464.7 KB

Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by [URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/XJSman89/media/XJ-S/20150811_072242_zpsxdtb7wdx.jpg.html
[/URL]

The lug nuts shown in the picture look very much like the stock Jaguar nuts that are used on the lattice aluminum wheels.

Have you looked at the standard Jaguar nuts?

Mark

Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Safari
The lug nuts shown in the picture look very much like the stock Jaguar nuts that are used on the lattice aluminum wheels.

Have you looked at the standard Jaguar nuts?

Mark
I didn't even consider them, and here's why:

Name:  20150802_181128_zpsxntpippc.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  330.8 KB

You need a shank style (or mag style, I believe it might be called) lug nut as the stud sits pretty much flush with the face of the wheel, and you use these lug nuts with a 1" shank to attach the wheel with the hub. There's a washer that goes between the hex head and the wheel as well, you can see it on the shank right on top of the head in the picture above. That's how it seats the lug on the wheel properly, there's a recess in the wheel to accept it.

I still have the lattice wheels (and lugs) for the car and they're very different. I believe that the head on the lattice wheel lugs is 13/16 as well, and these are a smaller non-standard 11/16 head in order be able to fit the lug socket in between the spokes. They do look similar from the outside, however!

Last edited by xjsman89; 08-11-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: lug nuts for 1987 xjs-dayton wire wheel