XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My Cat's road to Wellness

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I have been checking out many u tube videos on transmission rebuilding. In combination with the Ron Session's book I am finally beginning to feel like I understand how the transmission is constructed and works. It is like a series of nesting canisters. The wet clutches are similar to the clutches in my old Hondas and Harleys. I got under my car today and pulled the vacuum modulator. I checked it with my MyTy Vac and it appeared to be in fine shape. I pulled the modulator valve out and it did not come out easy. I cleaned it off with solvent even though it didn't look dirty and gently worked it back and forth in the bore using solvent and atf until it moved smoothly. I wanted to pull the governor and check the function of the internal valve shaft. It looks like I will have to remove the trans mount to gain access but it doesn't look like there will be enough room to remove it without dropping the trans a bit. I had read in Kirby's book that there was an access panel in the trans tunnel but looking from underneath I can see that there isn't one in my car. My son checked the web and it seems that the access panel is only in coupes. I managed to remove the rt. side exhaust pipe which really gives me a lot more room. Tomorrow I will drop the pan to check the pressure valve in the front pump and the filter screen to the governor. If this doesn't cure the problem than I will pull the tranny. I contacted a import car wrecker in SoCal that offers "good" used trannies with a 90 day warranty. Their price is 750.00 with no core required. Of course if you need to collect on the warranty then you've got to pull it out yourself "again". I will check with some other wreckers up here, I spoke to one in Santa Rosa and I will check the Jag wrecker in Stockton.

Or I might just take it to the guy in Fremont. He said that he really prefers to work on the trans already out of the car. I've seen his shop, it's pretty small. Or I might just tear it down myself. It would be nice to learn a new skill in my old age. If I am successful just think of all the older Jags out there selling for peanuts with sick trannies that I could pick up. What I would really like to do is find a forum member that would sell me a used tranny for a hundred bucks or so. Than I could try to rebuild that one and swap them out. Any takers? I've got a good truck and I'm willing to travel.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

For me, the trip is much more fun sometimes as the destination. I did a automatic trans one time, and it worked great! For about 30 minutes......?? Anyway, I found a small shop that agreed to disassemble it, and find out what I did wrong. Seems the only thing I did wrong was to fail to engage the torque converter all the way. With that said, I would do it again, on that transmission. The turbo 400 GM (If that is what we are talking about) isn't a horribly complicated transmission. Like everything else, it mostly time and patience. I bet a master rebuild kit is maybe 100.00, and put a new torque converter in it, and you'll be good to go. Of course, you could also do what I did once on a Chevrolet truck with the same transmission. I changed the fluid, and added a can of a product called "Trans-X" and it worked as long as I had the truck, maybe another 50K miles without a hint of another problem.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

My Cat's road to wellness takes a slight detour. I decided to put my XJS into temporary storage in my sideyard. I haven't done much to it for a while and I needed the parking space for a new addition to my fleet, a '96 Ford Explorer. There's a lot of boring reasons for that addition but i won't go into them now. I've been trying to sell my '96 Mustang

but haven't had much luck. Geez, I've now got six darn cars! The Mustang has to go! Just a few pics of my cat going into hiding. The lion sleeps tonight.
Here it goes. It was a bit of work cleaning out that side yard

Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Well it seems that I've neglected my poor XJS, since it's been almost five months since I've made any updates. I have been busy with my other cars, the XJ6 and my '96 Mustang. The Mustang popped a ball joint, (just as painful as that sounds), the XJ6 needed some work, and I've started blogging in earnest. This blogging business is a whole hobby in itself, and takes up quite a lot of my time.

Anyway the XJS ended up in the garage just before these last storms hit. I was going to take it out to finish the work on the Mustang but the transmission finally gave out completely. My wife said that the car gods had spoken. Since I have the replacement trans in the garage already, it seems like a good idea to proceed. Besides I didn't feel like trying to push the car up the driveway by myself.

As in a lot of projects, the hardest part is just getting started, last weekend I figured out how I was going to lift the car for the job. I've got a lot of tools already, but I think that it is now important to make the job as easy on my self as possible. So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a few things.

Last Summer I had bought a new three ton low profile floor jack, and one of those small two ton trolley jacks. Both from HF. Combine with my somewhat recalcitrant old floorjack, a slightly beat hydraulic scissor jack, and a dependable old bottle jack I've got that part covered.

I had a couple of pairs of good jackstands, I bought an 8 ft. 2x10" board at Home Depot and had them cut it up into eight squares. I can use these to put under the jacks and stands, and I bought a pair of those metal ramps. I also bought a new transmission jack, and one of those engine support bars while I was shopping at HF.(What did we do before HF?)

Last night I pulled the exhaust pipes and heat shields. I will try to do a little work every night and hit it hard on the weekends. I'll share just a few pics.

I put the ramps under the rear wheels, it gave me 8 inches of lift.

It seems high enough in front. I'll see how it works with the new transmission jack.

I really need to figure out how to resize these photos.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well I finished up the transmission replacement on Wednesday and took the car out for a test spin around the neighborhood. Success! It was a tedious job but it can be done in your garage, even by an old guy like me. There are a few things that I learned:

First of all, quit your crying and realize that it will have to be done from under the car. You can't access the bell housing bolts from on top, and you're just wasting your time trying.

Second it's a good idea to label your wrenches and sockets so it's easier to pick out the right size. It is harder when you're on your back and cricking your neck looking through a pair of dirty reading glasses.

Using a support bar frees up more room underneath the car. It also allows you to easily drop the motor an inch or so. That makes it easier to access the bellhousing bolts, shift cable, and cooler lines. I found that the trans filler tube got in the way of accessing a bellhousing bolt and the cooler line fittings. Remove the filler tube first.

Yes it is a long way up there. You'll use a lot of extensions!

The ratchet ends up by the tailshaft housing!

I'm going to make several posts since I lost an hour's worth of work earlier.

The following users liked this post:
Padre (04-13-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Back to it!

The Harbor Freight tranny jack made removal and replacement very easy.

Since you've got the tranny out, why not fit a drainplug?

I had the replacement transmission standing by. I did fit a new front pump seal. When i pulled the pan i found that it was amazingly clean. That gave me a lot of confidence.

I taped these hard to reach bolts into place before I raised the tranny back in. Made it MUCH easier.

Now that the transmission is in and working fine, I need to get the car smog tested to complete the transfer process, get my new registration and license plates. I know a very good smog mechanic who takes a real interest in older cars, so I feel I'll get a fair shake from him. I have paid well over 500.00 dollars in past and current reg fees since I bought the car.

After the smog ordeal is over (wish me luck!) then replacing the front suspension bushings is next. Then I will try to patch up the convertible top while I do some research on top replacement. After that it's just the usual problems with the seat upholstery, power windows, A/C radio, etc.

Actually once the smog/registration is done I'll start driving it around town a bit. Next up is the suspension bushing rebuild on the XJ6. I need to get it into shape for my Summer trip to Oregon.

I may be an uppity Jaguar driver but I'm can still be a grease monkey when needed!

I'm definitely getting too old for this stuff! Luckily my latest adventure took place in the garage.

Last edited by Rivguy; 04-08-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: ommision
The following 5 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Dukejag (03-02-2020), Mac Allan (04-08-2017), malc4d (04-08-2017), Padre (04-13-2017), ronbros (04-08-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well today was a red letter day for my XJS. I brought it in for the smog test and it passed with flying colors! Whew, is that a weight off my shoulders. Without the successful test My transfer of ownership was stopped in Limbo. There are situations where cars cannot pass the test either because they have a very worn or out of tune motor or that "some one" probably the previous owner, removed or damaged some of the original emission equipment. That original equipment can be almost impossible to obtain. Now I can move forward with the rest of work on the car. I think the next job will be fixing the windows so I can get a little fresh air into the car while I'm driving.

On a non related note. I saw some Dayton wire wheels for an XJS listed on CL in the San Rafael area last week. As it turned out I was going to be up there, as my Wife had an art event in Santa Rosa. I made contact with the seller and took a look on Sunday. They were in good shape so I bought them. The only problem was that there were only three wheels available. But they were cheap! 150.00 for the bunch. I'm sure if I keep my eyes open another one will turn up. It seems that many things have turned up for me. Starting with the car itself, then the transmission, and now these wheels. I've learned to be patient.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Great work !!!

I am an old guy, perhaps, even older !!!!

I like to make a plan and lay out my tools to fit that plan. But, my selected tools to take in a pan down and under pales when compared to yours!!! Kudos, in spades....

I just completed an ignition major tune up on my daughter's VW Passat. All done at waist level. Down and up now beyond me sans major effort.

Tools nearby, on the bench, but in a big tin pan. Preassembled the HT leads and coil pack. Gapped and anti seized the new NGK spark plugs. Nevertheless, in defference to my finicky shoulders, I did the work in stages.

It fired right up and sounded better than before. Into the "done" column.

Next up is a fuel pump module replacement in my venerable older Jeep Grand Cherokee. Son has agreed to do that "toughie" down and under. My prep is that the Jeep is up on similar ramps and expected need 1/2" drive rachet, extension and sockets in the same big tin pan.

Extraction of fuel from it's tank not yet successful !!! Siphon method does not work!!!

Thinking and trying yet to do. But, it is out in the wet !!!

Carl

Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I really appreciate this post. Allays some of my fears. I'm anticipating needing to do similar this coming winter.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

We do what we can, As we can! More adventures to follow.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update. My XJS is now ready to be driven a bit around the neighborhood. I went to Triple A and was excited about finally completing the transfer and getting my plates and pink slip. I bought this car from an estate sale in So Cal. and thought that I had all the proper documentation properly filled out. It seems that there is still an issue, with certain forms and signatures. Luckily, when I reached out to the former owner's spouse she was gracious enough to agree to meet with me and properly complete the paperwork. It has been over a year and a half. I am very lucky that I could contact the seller and work this out. I didn't want to chance sending the pink slip through the mail, or that they might put aside for some reason, ( there could be emotional issues that they don't want to revisit) so I am making a run down South to do it in person.

I bought my Mark VII from a local estate and the seller had all the paperwork lined up from the get go. It went through the transfer and is only awaiting a VIN verification. I even have a temporary operating permit! If it only ran!

The moral of the story is to be very careful when buying from an estate sale, especially far from home. I should have gone to the local Triple A station and had them review the paperwork before I left the area. If the papers aren't right, and the sellers can't or won't be reached, you will never get the car registered and you'll end up with a parts car.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Kudos.

Well done.

As to CA's DMV. Oh me, one never knows. An AAA membership seems a great thing.

But, absent that, it can be done. A properly signed title. And a bill of sale. In the case of an estate, Document to support the executor of the estates authority to sign. And, perhaps a written "Statement of Facts"

Most DMV's love paper work!!!

Carl

Old 07-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

My trip down South proved very successful. The former owner's Wife was very gracious and provided the needed papers and signatures. When I got home I went to Triple A and though the young lady behind the counter was a bit overwhelmed by all the paper, she summoned a more experienced co worker who entered all the documents into the record. I've had the car for almost two years and just over six hundred dollars in back fees, transfers, and new plate fees were required to bring it to current status. I pulled it out of the sideyard, replacing it with my XJ6, so that I can work on it easily. The driver's window doesn't open so that's my immediate problem as it gets hot in there. Finally progress will be starting again. My pink slip arrived yesterday. Onward and upwards.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Drivers window could be the switch it's a common problem, they come apart easily and can be cleaned. Be careful as the way the system works is to have 12volts on BOTH sides of the motor all the time, the switch grounds one side to move the window.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have known that. One side up the other side down?
When I checked the plug I found two hot terminals, I'm going to check the window motor itself next. I tested the switch and found that it was switching power.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Hot terminals indicate a bad/dirty connection, if you ohm the switch and it looks ok it can still fail under load when the window draws current.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

I decided that it's time to put my XJS into limited use rotation. I just bought a new battery to replace my reconditioned used one. I know that the over running cooling fan will place a heavy load on the battery. The window is still not working but I'll just sweat it out on the way home from work. My round trip to the office is only 22 miles on surface streets so this will serve as a shake down period. I decided to patch up my torn up top to keep it from shredding during my use. Kind of ghetto but I 'm posting some pictures. More detail is covered in my blog. I've priced replacement top and headliner panels at around 500 bucks online. labor costs will be much more, but currently unknown. I'm not in a position to throw money at the car so I need to see if the car will be a runner before investing any more money into it.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar xj6 series 3 error code 88E0 in the dash display

Hi my name is johnathan thank you for accepted my in this jaguar forums and my explication about mi car problems is the next I paíd for the mechanic to install the starter motor but before starter motor issue the car craking and on running very well but the starter motor suffering damage and i paid for a New starter motor after installed the new starter motor i make a test to Know if it go well the funtion Was excelent but the motor car no turn on and the fuel pump no was installed when i test good at the starter motor at that time after that i installed the fuel pump but when i meke the 3 Step ignición swicth the fuel pump no turn on and i saw the white red wire disconect from the starter relay pleasse i need you help

Last edited by Norri; 05-24-2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: personal details removed
Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar xj6 series 3 error code 88E0 in the dash display

Wath is the error code 88E0 solution help
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by maireni2222
Hi my name is johnathan and thank you for accepted my in this jaguar forums and my explication about mi car problems is the next I paíd for the mechanic to install the starter motor but before starter motor issue the car craking and on running very well but the starter motor suffering damage and i paid for a New starter motor after installed the new starter motor i make a test to Know if it go well the funtion Was excelent but the motor car no turn on and the fuel pump no was installed when i test good at the starter motor at that time after that i installed the fuel pump but when i meke the 3 Step ignición swicth the fuel pump no turn on and i saw the white red wire disconect from the starter relay pleasse i need you help

Last edited by GGG; 05-25-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Remove personal contact details from QUOTE
Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

After all the work I've been doing to empty out the garage, my XJS is now resting safely inside. I've been fussing withe Mark VII for quite awhile and just let the XJS sit. I had been occasionally driving it to work but quit doing that after it was sideswiped by a careless co worker. I had to get my '96 Mustang smogged and work on my Daughter's car, truck and Explorer. However I was able take it out over the last weekend and drove it for about an hour. The car will need to be smogged by next month (again? where did the time go?) I think that I will take it to get smogged next week and depending on the outcome I'll decide what to do next. It is hard juggling so many cars with so many competing needs. I'll own up to the fact that this is all my own doing. One step at a time.

Quick Reply: My Cat's road to Wellness