Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Need help with steering rack bushing (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/need-help-steering-rack-bushing-103340/)

petemohr 09-25-2013 03:24 PM

Need help with steering rack bushing

6 Attachment(s)
I have the rack lowered and I have the threaded rod/socket tool but there is a large washer/spacer on one side of the bushing that covers the part of the frame that the socket should push against. I thought it was just a spacer that would come out and give access to the bushing but it's in there solid. Is that normal?

AllanG 09-25-2013 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pete,

Looks like you have part # CBC9107 look like this.

Attachment 56091

You may need to make up a different tool to get it out. Some racks had one of these an two of the other type where you can use the tool. Not sure why exactly?

Cheers,

Allan

petemohr 09-25-2013 04:08 PM

Yeah, that's the guy. Lucky me!
Has anyone else dealt with these?

Thanks Allan.

AllanG 09-25-2013 06:22 PM

Yep, it's pressed in, bit of a bugga to get out. I used a modified c-clamp arrangement to push it out from the other side.

Fiddly but it worked.

Cheers,

Allan

petemohr 10-15-2013 10:39 AM

Just an update. It took me a while but I finally "got 'er done"!
I ended up removing the rack and after many failed attempts too extract the old bushing I gave up and brought it to my friendly neighborhood Jag guy (Dias Automotive - Pittsboro, NC) He said "no problem" so I left it for him to mess with. He called the next day and told me it was ready for me to pick up. When I got there he just looked at me and said that he's never had so much trouble in 30 years of working on Jags. He ended up having to grind down one side of the bushing and pound it out with an air hammer! So back to my garage and putting it back in was just as much fun as removing it (only in reverse).

Bottom line - It's done and the steering feel is much improved.

dsetter 10-16-2013 12:12 AM

Just completed this myself. Same bushes too. I found that 2" water pipe worked as a perfect size cup and 1/2 inch threaded rod and a 9/15 AF socket were a perfect fit to press it out. Damn damn tight it was too and getting those shims back in and aligned was fun. Just make you love them all that much more. :-)

hoodun 10-07-2015 01:34 AM

Is it necessary to replace this type of rack bushing, if it is not worn out? I have these on my 94 and the steering is pretty tight. There is a tad bit of play bt I do not think it is because the bushings are old. I cant see how there could be much play with this type of bushing. It works the same way the poly bushings work. Anyway, I heard all the talk about how much of an improvement the bushing change is. I actually think the facelift jags were upgraded to this newer bushing to tighten up the steering.

My 91 however is extremely mushy and I can see why upgrading the bushing on that car would be a huge improvement. It has the style bushings with no washer like attachment.

Can someone who has replaced the bushing shown above comment on the improvement and give an honest reply. One that hopefully is not placebo.

Greg in France 10-07-2015 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by hoodun (Post 1323071)
Is it necessary to replace this type of rack bushing, if it is not worn out? I have these on my 94 and the steering is pretty tight. There is a tad bit of play bt I do not think it is because the bushings are old. I cant see how there could be much play with this type of bushing. It works the same way the poly bushings work. Anyway, I heard all the talk about how much of an improvement the bushing change is.

My 91 however is extremely mushy and I can see why upgrading the bushing on that car would be a huge improvement. It has the style bushings with no washer like attachment.

Can someone who has replaced the bushing shown above comment on the improvement and give an honest reply. One that hopefully is not placebo.

The bushing referred to is a Jaguar Sport bushing, still available from Jaguar. They are fantastic and just about indestructible, and far better than the alternatives, I believe. No need to replace them on your 94. Well worth installing on your 91.
Greg

hoodun 10-07-2015 01:50 AM

I just pulled the steering rack completely out and Im looking at them thinking the logic of the poly bushings improving this doesnt add up.

Glad I asked because they look like a pain to get out, and for no improvement... Even with the rack out I could tell I will struggle with this and need to break out the angle grinder and air hammer. No thanks. Back the rack goes.

These sport bushings look better than poly. They give a tiny bit of play, in a good way where as the poly bushings are very stiff looking.

Since I already have the poly I will put them in the 91 and compare.