XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

new to me XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default new to me XJS

Hi all,

I recently purchased a running, driving 1992 XJS coupe with a few issues. Been sorting through them slowly. It's a nice ride, but much better after an engine tune up. New wires, plugs, clean distributor cap and a clean out of the squirrel infested air filter compartments have it running smooth. I have replaced both front brake rotors and calipers so the braking is much better also. Still need to bleed out all the old fluid so they will actually improve once I have that complete.

I had the AC charged and converted over to R134. As I was ready to pull it out of the guy's shop it failed to start (fuel pump not running). I found fuel pump wiring issues. Someone spliced some components into the wiring near the top of the tank. The relay was incorrect and replaced then it started. Next day it failed to go again. I unplugged the relays and replugged, unplugged the two wire pump connecter and it came alive. What is the deal with these two wires feeding the pump and would there have been a reason to have the electronic components spliced in? A factory recall perhaps?

Headlight module is whacked, but I found a nice thread here on cold solder joints. I need to go at it again as first try did not fix everything. While the car is running and the switch is on everything seems right. When I shut off the lights or shut down the car the high beams come on and stay on. Current solution is unplugging the module so the battery won't drain.

Next up are comfort fixes. AC still does not blow cold and the radio won't light up and I have a couple of annoying warning lights (ABS and CE).

I'm glad I found this forum!

Greg

Old 07-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

Congrats, first of all. You've found a car/project that will keep you occupied for years :-)

Your next step should be to download Kirby Palm's "book" about the XJS. Lots and lots of valuable stuff about every aspect of the vehicle.

Can't help much with your specific question, I have an '87 (which was before the facelift) so there are likely some difference between yours and mine. But, if you took it to an AC shop, I would think they should have tested that it produced cold air before giving it back to you. Did it produce cold air when they were finished with it, but not now???

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

John,

We agreed to charge the car as an experiment basically. He warned me we may not get it going with a simple change over. It was cooling slightly at the shop. He said the expansion valve on the firewall would likely be the problem and the new oil installed might free it up. So we are waiting to see.

Thanks,

Old 07-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the expansion valve is almost always the problem because it's location causes mechanics to flinch when it comes to replacing them on the switchover.