Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   oil cooler leak issues on v12 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/oil-cooler-leak-issues-v12-216802/)

gccch 04-23-2019 02:19 PM

oil cooler leak issues on v12

Hi all,

As I am trying to sell my 92 XJS V12 one prospective buyer asked if I have issues with the oil cooler leaking. I don't know where to check, but he claims it can leak pretty badly even while sitting and it is something that is either impossible or extremely difficult to repair. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? He seems to be knowledgable and has had the issue with a car in the past but another in his family has not been affected. I'd like to get a clue before he shoes up to look for himself. Seems like a serious buyer.

orangeblossom 04-23-2019 03:53 PM

Hi gccch

Not wishing to state the obvious but if the Oil Cooler isn't leaking, then it isn't leaking and in the event that it was leaking then you would certainly know

As there would be Oil all over your drive or your garage or shop and so to reassure your potential buyer, lay a big sheet of paper underneath the Oil Cooler and then if it is leaking, you will know for sure

Though having said that your Guy is right, its a hell of a job to fix but not your responsibility if it isn't leaking when he buys it and that surely goes for every other component on your Car, or any Car for that matter

I've had the Oil Cooler go on my Car and put a new one in, which was a very expensive PIA job, if ever there was

But when the Oil Cooler went on 'Cherry Blossom' I decided to do away with the Oil Cooler altogether by having a bypass Pipe made up at my local Hydraulic Shop

Which only cost me £25 instead of about £400 and saved me all the hassle of taking it off to put a New one on and having done so kept a very close eye on the Oil Temperature which maxed out at 140c

That some say is the perfect Temperature, though I'm sure that other may well disagree but then the Temperature in the UK rarely goes above 25c and so far haven't experienced any problems

Though I wouldn't recommend doing it in a hot climate like yours

Don't try this at Home! Replacing the Broken Oil Cooler With a By Pass Pipe Page:56 and 57 of my 'Cherry Blossom Restoration Thread

gccch 04-23-2019 04:24 PM

Excellent. I am certainly not leaking oil in such a rate. The car does use some oil while driving but that seems to be the norm from what I have read on the forum. Maybe a quart every 1000 miles. And not while sitting idle.

orangeblossom 04-23-2019 04:56 PM

Hi gccch

Then it looks like you are good to go!

But if you ever want to sell her, try and get some photos parked out front of some Country House or a Swanky Hotel, so you can paint a picture in someone else's mind of how they can look like a Millionaire for very little money (in the scheme of things! Lol)

Some Day, Some Day 04-23-2019 06:13 PM

Or better yet, as you're in Miami, get some photos with bikini babes draped over the car.... :icon_cool::icon_naughty: