Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Overdue oil change (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/overdue-oil-change-211780/)

VancouverXJ6 12-15-2018 08:44 PM

Overdue oil change

Might of gone abit farther then your supposed to between oil changes, but I ran Seafoam engine flush for the past few hundred miles...it came out with the consistency of BBQ sauce. Hopefully the Ceratec helped keep things frictionless. :icon_look:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...903f3d49c4.jpg

RonaldP 12-15-2018 11:08 PM

I have heard of people adding a quart of transmission fluid to the oil about 100 to 200 miles before an oil change. Trans fluid is said to be a very high detergent fluid. never did it to a Jag, but I did it to my first car a 57 Ford.

VancouverXJ6 12-16-2018 12:26 AM

Yes thats an old trick, poor man's engine flush if you will but works quite well, I use trans fluid to clean a lot of parts. If you can stand the smell its quite effective.

Grant Francis 12-16-2018 03:03 AM

Poor mans engine flush, DAMN, I still use it, just did the "big block" 2.1V6 X Type, and that oil was SAD.

1000kms later, with new oil and filter, still as clean as it went in on the dipstick.

ALL my Jags get that ATF dose from time to time, and always have from way back. Works a treat.

carsnplanes 12-16-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by RonaldP (Post 2001496)
I have heard of people adding a quart of transmission fluid to the oil about 100 to 200 miles before an oil change. Trans fluid is said to be a very high detergent fluid. never did it to a Jag, but I did it to my first car a 57 Ford.

Heard the same thing about ATF. The Seafoam would loosen stuck lifters on overhead valve motors but not sure what it would loosen on overhead cam motors, except maybe just to clean everything.

carsnplanes 12-16-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6 (Post 2001504)
Yes thats an old trick, poor man's engine flush if you will but works quite well, I use trans fluid to clean a lot of parts. If you can stand the smell its quite effective.

...and cheap

Doug 12-16-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6 (Post 2001504)

Yup! I often keep a pail of used ATF for cleaning really cruddy parts.....where the dirt and grease are really caked-on. Drop the part in, come back in a couple days, the caked-on crusty crud just slides right off !

Cheers
DD

VancouverXJ6 12-16-2018 03:28 PM

Is there any downside to tossing a cup or two of ATF in with new oil? I can't see it being any more corrosive then bad oil.

Greg in France 12-17-2018 01:30 AM

It might be a bit too detergenty, thus having an undesirable effect on the oil film, if in for the entire oil change interval?

Grant Francis 12-17-2018 01:44 AM

Agreed.

I would not do so.

I usually add the ATF, and let the engine simply run in the shed for about 30 minutes, then shut it down and drain as hot as is safe to do so.

Driving it "quietly" for no more than 100kms is a plan B I use on engines with VVT.

v1rok 12-25-2018 02:26 PM

Hmmm... I guess I am learning something new here.

My old Jeep V8 is due for an oil change. It has 130+K miles on it. Wanna try the cheap “flush” trick

Does it matter what ATF oil to put in? I have a few bottles in the garage: type III, type IV, type VI

just one quart is enough?

VancouverXJ6 12-25-2018 11:23 PM

Any type should work, 1-2qt depending on engine size, like Grant said not more than 30mins. You should post before & after oil sample pics!

Grant Francis 12-26-2018 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6 (Post 2005402)
Any type should work, 1-2qt depending on engine size, like Grant said not more than 30mins. You should post before & after oil sample pics!

I use the formula of 1/2ltr per 5ltr sump capacity, and NO the 1/2ltr extra will NOT harm anything.

ANY ATF WILL DO.

I put 1/2ltr in the X after I changed the oil and filter, brain fade, age related, and about 1500kms into the new oil that was discoloured already on the stick.

I drove it about 1000kms more, and the slop that came out was the worst I have seen, BLACK, slimy, stinky. So much for stamped Dealer Service records???

It will get another 1/2ltr later tonight when it cools down out there, 40c at the moment, beer time. Drain it again in about 1000kms.

Chasing a strange intermittent "rattling" noise tha I am convinced is a lazy VVT chamber, and based on the slime I have drained from this engine, those very tiny oil passages are surely gooed up.

XJSFan 12-27-2018 10:42 AM

I wonder if the atf would have any negative effect on the engine gaskets? Just would be concerned for possible oil leak issues...

Grant Francis 12-27-2018 08:26 PM

Never had that issue in the way too many years I have used ATF.

Look at the specs for ATF, and among all the letters and numbers it is basically a "SAE10W" oil, with colour dye, and whatever it needs to make it what it is.

Prior to that, and a very long time ago, a Bake Bean tin of Kerosene was the flush of choice. NO snake oil companies around back then and even fewer Auto trans cars.

Engine running pour it in, leave it run 10 minutes (about 1 beer) and then shut it down and drain it, SIMPLE.

chicho 12-28-2018 01:29 AM

Thank you all! I can"t wait to try this!