Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Parts compatibility - from an '82 to an '89 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/parts-compatibility-82-89-a-216242/)

egovreau 04-10-2019 07:02 PM

Parts compatibility - from an '82 to an '89

So, an '82 XJS showed up in a wrecking yard somewhat near by where I live. I got excited thinking I'd be able to score some non HE engine parts....

But then, I got to thinking I could probably use some interior parts, as well as tail lights. I have an '89, what parts can I try and score?

TIA

EcbJag 04-10-2019 10:54 PM

'82 was the first year for the HE but there were lots of changes from '82-'89.

On the interior specifically the '89 has different seats (and seat rails), active seat belts, Delanair MkIII climate control as opposed to the MkII that the '82 has, different centre console, the trip computer, and some revised switch gear. It also will have over shoulder rear seat belts in the back seat as opposed to the lap belts in the '82 which means the rear interior pieces won't work.

That being said, most of the mechanical/body/suspension stuff is going to be the same, even more so if your '89 has the Lucas ignition. Not the brake system though, since the '89 has ABS.

There was just an xj-s at a wrecking yard near me that I checked out. I scored all kinds of little obscure parts that would be impossible to find elsewhere like the plastic gear selector panel and a TPS for $12.

Definitely snag what you can. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and you're saving increasingly hard to find parts from the crusher! Good luck!

One more interior note: Even though '82 is the first year of the HE, it still has the fully chromed interior door handles from the pre-he instead of the cheaper looking chrome/black ones found later. These older style handles are actually the same handles used on the 80's Aston Martin Lagonda- "the more you know". You could snag those for your '89 if more chrome is your thing- they'll bolt right on.

egovreau 04-11-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by EcbJag (Post 2053582)
'82 was the first year for the HE but there were lots of changes from '82-'89.

On the interior specifically the '89 has different seats (and seat rails), active seat belts, Delanair MkIII climate control as opposed to the MkII that the '82 has, different centre console, the trip computer, and some revised switch gear. It also will have over shoulder rear seat belts in the back seat as opposed to the lap belts in the '82 which means the rear interior pieces won't work.

That being said, most of the mechanical/body/suspension stuff is going to be the same, even more so if your '89 has the Lucas ignition. Not the brake system though, since the '89 has ABS.

There was just an xj-s at a wrecking yard near me that I checked out. I scored all kinds of little obscure parts that would be impossible to find elsewhere like the plastic gear selector panel and a TPS for $12.

Definitely snag what you can. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and you're saving increasingly hard to find parts from the crusher! Good luck!

One more interior note: Even though '82 is the first year of the HE, it still has the fully chromed interior door handles from the pre-he instead of the cheaper looking chrome/black ones found later. These older style handles are actually the same handles used on the 80's Aston Martin Lagonda- "the more you know". You could snag those for your '89 if more chrome is your thing- they'll bolt right on.

Thank you for that. It was most informative. It's certainly not surprising to me that there are quite a few changes, especially given the large amount of time difference between the model years. And despite the fact the body of the car was largely unchanged from it's inception to, what, 1991.

I really hope to get to the yard soon (may have to take a day off of work to do it) before it get's picked over or worse, ends up going to the crusher. The fact that it's just over 50 miles away makes it a bit inconvenient, but may end up being well worth the trip.