XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Purchase advice on XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase advice on XJS V12

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have done some poking around in previous threads and FAQs, but didn't find quite what I was looking for. My apologies in advance if this has been covered and I've somehow missed it.

I was at a local tow yard today on unrelated business and happened across a 1988 or 1989 (not sure which) XJS V12. I don't know anything about these cars or Jags in general except for the research on the internet I did this afternoon. It seems to be in decent shape; the paint is a little faded here and there, but I didn't notice any exterior rust (didn't crawl underneath to check anything). The interior seems ok, not perfect, with some trim pieces missing, and some tears and rips on the rear seat. Obviously not perfect show condition, but for $1500 I can deal with that.

It has 65K miles, and seems to run fine. I didn't drive it, but fired it up and idled fine, the gears in the transmission all work. Is this one of those finds that I should snag while I can, or is this going to be a never-ending headache and a total money pit? I've read about things like dropped valve seats, cars catching on fire, all sorts of horror stories--should I put much stock in them? Anything particular I need to be aware of? I understand we are talking about a 30 year old car, so it will take some tinkering and some money. I really appreciate any advice you have to give. It looks great and I would like to pick up a project car to drive and work on, but I'm not looking at sinking tons of dough into a full on restoration.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I currently own 6 Jags. I have said, and continue to say, that the least expensive thing to do to a Jaguar is buying it. After that, its all about what you want to achieve. Is this a coupe or a convertible? Is is a 1988, or a 1989? If its a 1989, is a early car, or mid year? This means Lucas ignition, or Marelli. If a coupe, these haven't really come into their own so to speak. If a convertible? Well, there is always the fun factor in that no matter what the make.
I bought a 89 Marelli convertible for 1400 with only 34K miles. Didn't run. 120 hours later, and maybe 200, it did. But then it dropped a valve seat. A well kept, well maintained Jaguar is worth a lot to those who know...not so much to the novice. Interiors for these cars are very expensive. Along with most everything else.
I suggest you really understand what your motives are. To me, the joy, the pride of ownership surpass market value. To others? Who knows.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Depends on year... By 1989 quality was way up. The best v12 to own is the 1995 to 1996. These are, by far, the best and also the hardest to find.

On all XJS the distributor is lower than fuel rail so any fuel leak can be ignited. Early cars have no less 40 hose clamps on a fuel rail which should have never made it out of development. These are prone to leaks and fire. Later Fuel rails are Oring'd and have proper fittings but still need to be looked after.

Any V12 car is an exclusive club and comes with a price. The Jag V12 probably has the lowest entry price into that club. If you have a good engine and keep the cooling system up right then it should be ok. Dropped valve seats tend to be caused by cooling issues.

If you want it... 1500 or slightly less seems reasonable for a rust-free car that runs well and looks OK. Check it out more carefully before purchase. Make sure it warms up and doesn't over heat and that there is sufficient coolant circulating. Power brake it and make sure it doesn't make any odd noises and perhaps take it for a test drive if circumstance allow.

Rear brakes are very difficult and expensive to do right. Servicing the brakes properly does involve dropping the complete rear suspension. Front brake are easier but changing the rotors involves removing the hubs and repacking the bearings.

Most common maintenance items outside the engine bay are upper control arm bushes, leaking rack, worn and torn lower ball joints and rear diff bearings. The rear diff bearings take a pounding becasue the 1/2 shaft also acts as a control arm.

These cars are a great and versatile platform. They can be setup for reliable cruising or breathed on heavily for all out high performance racing. Your needs may be somewhere in-between. Even when taken far up up the performance ladder, they remain very comfortable.

If you want a toy and you are a competent shade tree mechanic... do it and maintenance service the engine. It may last forever, it may not. If it doesn't there are many engine replacement choices from mild to wild to choose from.
If you dont know how to turn a wrench skip this one and buy one fully sorted which will be in a different price category.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-28-2018 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brassnadz (07-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Others have covered the bases pretty well.

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide which might be helpful.

A fully sorted XJS is a fabulous car. A $1500 example is likely to need lots of sorting. Worth the effort in my opinion....but if you're not a DIYer the costs could be very high. These cars can be challenging, no doubt about it. For most of us that's part of the fun.

On the up-side, there's tons of internet support, virtually all failures and fixes are known, and most parts are reasonable and readily available.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much to everyone for the candid answers. I was able to find the buyers guide, which was very helpful (big thanks to its author). I'll return for a more in depth look and test drive tomorrow. While not a mechanic, I've always done maintenance and repairs on all my cars (admittedly not European), so I can probably plan on a steep learning curve and probably some shop bills here and there. It seems like ownership requires a certain commitment, but I can't help but think there's potential for a great car. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

One word of warning. Once you drive a Jaguar XJS with a V12 engine and manually shift it through the gears, there is a good chance that you get hooked to the V12 grin in your face and neither the gas mileage nor the repairs can heal you. I have four of them. :-)

Old 01-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,146 Likes on 670 Posts

As others have eluded to. Be darn sure you don't have any fuel leaks because most of the XJS's that die, have an engine fire. The wiring and such parts to replace it aren't cheap. The most reasonable prices I've found for XJS parts, is Rock Auto .com. They have a lot of general replacement parts, but not everything. So look up the value of the basic maintenance parts, to get a good idea what you're up against. As mine had an engine fire. I decided to go with a 460 Ford because repairing / replacing the Jag stuff was to expensive. Just my thoughts, hope it helps. Otherwise I Love It!

Jack

Old 07-28-2022, 09:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Others have covered the bases pretty well.

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide which might be helpful.

A fully sorted XJS is a fabulous car. A $1500 example is likely to need lots of sorting. Worth the effort in my opinion....but if you're not a DIYer the costs could be very high. These cars can be challenging, no doubt about it. For most of us that's part of the fun.

On the up-side, there's tons of internet support, virtually all failures and fixes are known, and most parts are reasonable and readily available.

Cheers
DD
TONS OF INTERNET SUPPORT ?? At where please? 3 hours seeking any words or images as to 1995 xjs v12 rear engine coolant leak = fruitless. When Jesus came 2 a tree like this HE whithered it in its own roots, just sayin. Tried 5 different queries regarding 95 v12 coolant leak yet nada, zilch, zero, nyet, nogo, not f-ing happening,, , with a overhot Jag/Kat/-being common 1 would think there would be a complete with pics n vids thread in th 'jag forums' . Now i admit ive only been on this site about 16 hours total, n not all of that regarding th leaky cat i own markin itz spot BUT NO HELP on trunk lock either my other issue. 10 hours perusing jag forums for that one n yeah no help there either.

Please excuse my tone my consternation, my aggrevation.

Thank you 2 anyone that can direct me to th proper use of this site as I Must be missing something, like a List of Issues by area on Car/Auto. I admit my ignorance, i am sorry that my frustration has surfaced in post. Please, again forgive my newbi ignorance.

Direct me to a how to site use or some such.

Thank you in advance for your time and Consideration.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brassnadz

Direct me to a how to site use or some such.
Ask a question. Others answer with whatever help or advice they can offer.

Coolant leak at rear of engine? My first thought is leaking heater hoses or heater valve; perhaps as simply as a loose clamp

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

In this illustration the heater hoses are items 20, 22, and 23. The heater valve is item 12

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Cheers
DD

Old 07-29-2022, 11:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant leak Rear of 95 v12

Originally Posted by Doug
In this illustration the heater hoses are items 20, 22, and 23. The heater valve is item 12

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Cheers
DD
Thank you Doug i do appreciate your time and your assistance. That was very nice of you.
Gooday to u.