XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radiator/coolant question

Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Radiator/coolant question

Got my 89 XJS V12 running now, read Kirby Palm's manual and filling the radiator takes about 6 to 8 pages!! Can anyone encapsulate this for me to make it simpler?? I put antifreeze/water mix in the filler cap in the middle and had the cap off of the one on drivers side. Started it up and let run for a few minutes, engine started smoking so shut it off, opened the small cap slowly and a gusher came out! Other cap just had steam coming out, I let it cool down and started reading up on coolant systems. I have the big green factory book and a Haynes manual but thought I'd pose the question to a person who knows.
Dick C.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Bleeding is fun for sure.

I hereby reproduce the following with Doug Dwyers permission :-)

I have used this procedure many times and it is the only one I trust and is guaranteed to produce the right results first time (most of the time)

In summary, if you don't have a river of coolant flowing down your driveway, you've not done it right

Doug says.......

Elevate the front of the car about 8" and then elevate the left front another 2-3" beyond that.

Remove the bleeder plug from the left radiator tank. You'll see an access hole in the radiator upper mounting panel. The plug is some arcane size but you'll find something in your toolbox that fits.

Remove the caps from the expansion/header tank and from the filler pipe at the front of the engine....up there by the A/C compressor.

Add coolant/water to via the filler pipe until it reaches the bottom of the pipe. Start engine, set heater control to max heat. Let it run at idle until it warms up. Peek inside the filler pipe every minute or so and top up as needed.

When the engine gets warm increase the idle to about 1000-1200 rpm (a helper is helpful here...or just wedge a little something in the throttle linakge to hold it sligtly open for a high idle.

Let 'er run and run. Give the upper radiator hoses a few squeezes now and again. Keep checking your coolant level in the filler pipe and top off as needed. Eventually you'll see some coolant coming out of the bleeder. That's good. Wait a while longer and (hopefully) you'll see coolant *really* pouring out of the bleeder. (How much? It's one of those "you'll know it when you see it" things..very messy)

When it's *really* pouring out of the bleeder hole, put the plug back in. Wear some gloves so you don't get scalded. If you can't get the plug back in thru all the gushing, shut off the engine and do it....but I like to leave the engine running if I can. Not worth getting burned, though.

Top off the coolant in the filler pipe...I go right to the top... add a quart or so to the expansion tank, button everything up, and yer off to the races.

The following users liked this post:
dickc (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
Bleeding is fun for sure.

I hereby reproduce the following with Doug Dwyers permission :-)

I have used this procedure many times and it is the only one I trust and is guaranteed to produce the right results first time (most of the time)

In summary, if you don't have a river of coolant flowing down your driveway, you've not done it right

Doug says.......

Elevate the front of the car about 8" and then elevate the left front another 2-3" beyond that.

Remove the bleeder plug from the left radiator tank. You'll see an access hole in the radiator upper mounting panel. The plug is some arcane size but you'll find something in your toolbox that fits.

Remove the caps from the expansion/header tank and from the filler pipe at the front of the engine....up there by the A/C compressor.

Add coolant/water to via the filler pipe until it reaches the bottom of the pipe. Start engine, set heater control to max heat. Let it run at idle until it warms up. Peek inside the filler pipe every minute or so and top up as needed.

When the engine gets warm increase the idle to about 1000-1200 rpm (a helper is helpful here...or just wedge a little something in the throttle linakge to hold it sligtly open for a high idle.

Let 'er run and run. Give the upper radiator hoses a few squeezes now and again. Keep checking your coolant level in the filler pipe and top off as needed. Eventually you'll see some coolant coming out of the bleeder. That's good. Wait a while longer and (hopefully) you'll see coolant *really* pouring out of the bleeder. (How much? It's one of those "you'll know it when you see it" things..very messy)

When it's *really* pouring out of the bleeder hole, put the plug back in. Wear some gloves so you don't get scalded. If you can't get the plug back in thru all the gushing, shut off the engine and do it....but I like to leave the engine running if I can. Not worth getting burned, though.

Top off the coolant in the filler pipe...I go right to the top... add a quart or so to the expansion tank, button everything up, and yer off to the races.
Thanks Sarc, and to Doug for putting this together!!
DickC