XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recurring dream

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
To me, the back half looks like a Ford Capri?
Hey! No need to be cruel!

I’m not trying to impugn Sayers concept or Jaguars design team. They done good.

But I also don’t think it’s perfect. Every car is a product of compromises or its never built.

The bumpers are regrettable, mandated uglyness. Like putting wrestling headgear on a models head. Covering them with bodywork did not solve it either, in my opinion.

I love the lines of the rear window tops banging into the curve of the buttresses, but they are peculiar and, while one can wax poetic about lines drawing out the form to make it look like it’s speeding along when parked, they are not the cars strong point. And Jaguar showed they thought so too on the facelift rear windows.

I’ll continue playing around with this concept. Because I find it fun. Currently I’m pulling back the mouth almost halfway between the versions above and original. Feels less sleek, more brute, a bit early 60s berlinetta-ish.

Dont let me hurt your feelers. They’re just sketches.

The following users liked this post:
malc4d (12-09-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sketches don't hurt. What is cruel and painful is in the hours and days wasted and bushel loads of fiber and buckets of resin to produce this catastrophe that was sold on EBAY in the UK for 1200 Gbp. Who knows, the lucky owners may repeat the same and wake up this sleeping ugliness with Ford Granada tailights. Enjoy the pics.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Anyone with any lingering doubt over just how awful the result of tampering with the XJS's peerless design can be, take a look at this hideous mess:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-JAGU...oAAOSwUl5bBG~q
It was a body conversion produced in the UK by a business called Banham. Do not try to improve on perfection!
Some how I missed this one. But Yuck! It totally loses all the things that make the XJS what it is. You want a kit car, buy a Fiero and turn it into a Ferrari! This has no resemblance to the parent vehicle, or anything else for that matter, and sure as he-- doesn't accentuate the Jag in any way! Yuck. Just My thoughts.

Jack

Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
Sketches don't hurt. What is cruel and painful is in the hours and days wasted and bushel loads of fiber and buckets of resin to produce this catastrophe that was sold on EBAY in the UK for 1200 Gbp. Who knows, the lucky owners may repeat the same and wake up this sleeping ugliness with Ford Granada tailights. Enjoy the pics.

It's funny you mentioned Ford Granada taillights. Did anyone else catch the front grille bar and the space for the emblem??? Looks to me like it was made for a small Ford emblem or ???

Old 12-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Horse still dead. Beatings continue.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:27 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

If I may chime in...the problem with making changes to the nose is that mostly it ends up just being extended, which just makes the nose look longer, but no better. In the case of the corvette, above, it's like the extended part was just stuck on there with gum. You can see the vertical separation lines especially as an after thought. Anything not originally intended as the worked-in design looks fabricated and not intentional. I commute almost an hour each way to work and spend my time looking at car shapes and some really make my head spin. Some think that radical designs will attract but all I can see are lines that make your eyes go everywhere except where it should go. Nothing lines up and you lose the car altogether.
For the XJS, I agree the front nose is the key point and a place you just can't take your eyes off. The worst thing you can do to a car's nose is to make it weak looking. Also weak looking "shoulders" of the very front fenders of some cars are not pleasing, as in some newer BMWs and others. Look down the side of the car when you are slightly to the side and behind some of these weak front fender cars. The area above and forward of the headlights are not prominent enough and end up looking weak because they are lost to someones idea of aerodynamically blending the headlights to the fender.
I am not sure there is anything you could really do to the XJS front and actually, I do like the blended bumper look of the facelift cars. Some of the black rubber parts of the early bumpers I'm not a fan of.
I like this discussion.

The following users liked this post:
JigJag (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I pretty much like the XJS as-is, especially the front. The pre-facelift tail lights cause me some pain, though.

Has anyone ever been driving along and have an XJS appear in the rear view mirror? It's quite an impressive sight. Imposing, really. Fabulous.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (12-08-2018), JigJag (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Does this great big mirrored tanker truck showing what's behind it count as a "rear view mirror"?

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Doug (12-07-2018), JigJag (12-08-2018)