Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Removing late facelift rear bumper (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/removing-late-facelift-rear-bumper-218714/)

Spikepaga 06-04-2019 08:28 PM

Removing late facelift rear bumper

Gents-

Some teen girl with her mom on the passenger side tapped my XJS rear today. Sweet ladies....in A Jeep Patriot ....Barely a mark, except for the circles from the license plate frame screw covers imprinted in my bumper and some light, imperceptible webbing. I feel terrible about having to place a claim on their insurance or having them pay out of pocket, but my car and rear bumper where blemish free before this incident. I would like it to return to the same condition. Looks like the ladies want to pay out of pocket.

Now, I have recently been detailing the engine and have steamed and shampooed the trunk, have new panels etc. body shops are dusty as hell. I would really prefer to remove the bumper in my garage. How hard is it to remove the rear facelift bumper? Any help welcome

Spikepaga 06-06-2019 09:38 AM

Anyone got any tips on removing a rear facelift bumper? I am going to try to remove it this weekend to take to the shop

Keesh 06-06-2019 11:03 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a2da4a512c.png
Only four Hexagonal flange nuts loose.

pmarcian 06-06-2019 11:04 AM

I took my bumper covers off to paint the car last year. This is how I remember it.

Open the trunk and take the side trim panels out. Undo the 2 nuts and take the side bumper blades off. There may be rubber grommets covering them. Take the blades off. Undo the nuts on the center blade. Take out the bulbs from the side lights.

There are 2 nuts inside each wheel well.. Take those off.

Underneath the car is a long thin grooved part the bumper cover is slid into and is screwed to. Unscrew it but leave it alone. Don't pull on it until you're ready to take the cover off.

You will have to source the trim clips on top if they are original to the car. They won't come out without breaking. I took a sharp painters tool, slid it under the head and gave it a hard tap with a hammer. The bottom of the clip may stick but you can pop it through easily.

Put some blankets under the car. It also helps if you have partner. The cover will flex and is unwieldy.

That's pretty much it as I remember. Good chance to polish up the blades and clean up the trunk and trim.

Spikepaga 06-06-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by pmarcian (Post 2081272)
I took my bumper covers off to paint the car last year. This is how I remember it.

Open the trunk and take the side trim panels out. Undo the 2 nuts and take the side bumper blades off. There may be rubber grommets covering them. Take the blades off. Undo the nuts on the center blade. Take out the bulbs from the side lights.

There are 2 nuts inside each wheel well.. Take those off.

Underneath the car is a long thin grooved part the bumper cover is slid into and is screwed to. Unscrew it but leave it alone. Don't pull on it until you're ready to take the cover off.

You will have to source the trim clips on top if they are original to the car. They won't come out without breaking. I took a sharp painters tool, slid it under the head and gave it a hard tap with a hammer. The bottom of the clip may stick but you can pop it through easily.

Put some blankets under the car. It also helps if you have partner. The cover will flex and is unwieldy.

That's pretty much it as I remember. Good chance to polish up the blades and clean up the trunk and trim.

THANK YOU!!- that’s a great write up. I appreciate you taking the time

seems fairly simple. My car was totally stripped and repainted with panels removed a few years ago, so hopefully just dealing with three years of stuck items vs. 3.