Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Rivguy's new Jaguar XJS Pic heavy (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/rivguys-new-jaguar-xjs-pic-heavy-149332/)

Rivguy 09-05-2015 01:58 PM

Rivguy's new Jaguar XJS Pic heavy

My E-mail name goes back many years when Buick Rivieras were my main interest. Prior to this I was a Harley Davidson motorcycle and Cadillac man. Rivs were followed by many years of Datsun Zs then mostly Mustangs. I have had an interest in Jags for a long time, my interest in the E-series goes back to the early 1960s when I received an XKE model kit for Christmas. Back in the late 1970s and into the Eighties I had some interest in the XJS when new, but being a poor young guy it didn't go too far. So today at age 60, I find myself older, a little wiser but not much richer. Luckily the XJS is now very affordable, at least for the initial buy in, and there are resources like this forum to make maintenance and repair feasible for the average Joe. After doing a lot of research I decided that the time was right and I took the plunge.

I have posted a couple of earlier threads about a certain Hess and Eisenhardt convertible that had some issues. Well that car was sold and the search continued. I found a good candidate listed on C.L. in So. Cal. Luckily my wife had taken pity on me and helped set up an excursion where she could do some shopping and I could take a look at the car. It looked really good in the pictures and the description was very appealing. I made arrangements to secure a U-haul trailer in West Covina, not far from the car's location. This particular car was being sold by the daughter and son in law of the previous owner. This gentleman had tragically passed away recently, leaving a collection of cars that his surviving spouse wanted sold. According to the daughter this XJS was his favorite and was enjoyed by him for many years. The overall condition of the car was very good. Original paint with the body and trim in excellent condition. just a couple of little dings. The top does need replacing, the interior is a bit dry and dirty but still in very good shape. The original wheels are in excellent shape with trim rims, center caps and very good tires. Even a matching alloy spare. The car has not been molested. The car shows 105k and appears to have received proper maintenance and servicing. It appears that the car has not been driven much in a year or so, the car fired up with a jump and settled into a smooth idle, with no noises or smoke, no visible oil or coolant leaks. It was apparent to the seller how much I liked and wanted this car. She could tell that her Dad's car was going to some one who would appreciate it and care for it, so she was happy. I got the car so I'm happy. Even my wife thinks it's beautiful. I offered the full 1.200 dollars they were asking. I had seen a sign from the Pomona swap meet in the trunk that listed the car's asking price as 5,500 dollars. Obviously no takers.

So my plans are to fix the a/c replace the top and fix the myriad little electrical gremlins in the car, clean it, tune it and drive it. I towed it home behind my F150. My wife has been very supportive which makes things much easier for me, and I appreciate it. we had quite a time backing it off the trailer! Anyhow sorry for the long post. This project will be accomplished with a careful eye on the wallet. Updates to follow. Check out the pics.https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...11b68887c9.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...da77f30616.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ef8b13c611.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...081e840e9f.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...14f45ec706.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d41eda2002.jpg

JTsmks 09-05-2015 02:02 PM

Congrats! Nice find and even nicer price! Having a wife who supports the hobby is a big bonus. Cloud 9 is a good place to be!

JagZilla 09-05-2015 02:51 PM

You stole that car at $1200!
That's a great looking '60 Squarebird in the background too.

xjsman89 09-05-2015 04:25 PM

Rivguy's new Jaguar XJS Pic heavy

I paid more than that ($1800) for my 89 coupe, and it didn't even run at the time! Great find and a nice story to go with it. Congrats!

Dave1109971 09-05-2015 05:13 PM

wow nice car now you have name her! Having the wife on board makes things soooo much easier haha!

Rivguy 09-05-2015 05:27 PM

Thanks for the good wishes. Right now I'm just going to clean and shine while I get my other hobby car ready to sell. I will be putting together a list of things to fix. Is there a download of the owners manual available?

baxtor 09-06-2015 01:05 AM

This is a good place to start. considered by some to be the "bible"

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...-YXDWlde669UXg

Dvd manuals are readily available from Jaguar also.

Roger95 09-06-2015 09:11 AM

Congratulations! Great buy!

kenatofc 09-07-2015 08:10 AM

Wow..... Really a great buy. Will occupy many hours of your time, some what like a spouse !!! Will make you humble, frustrated, smile, laugh, cry, cuss and very happy when in use !!!! lol.....
Lots of great info on this site, need not reinvent the wheel !!!
Ken in WV

Flint Ironstag 09-08-2015 09:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience! I keep telling newcomers (and some of the old guys too) that solid, running XJSs can be had for peanuts all day long.

Hope you get the outstanding issues sorted, and here's to many pleasurable miles!

Rivguy 09-10-2015 07:17 PM

The retaining clips for the sunvisors were both broken so they hung down at a really unattractive angle and looked kind of junky. I have a '96 Mustang convertible and wondered if the retaining clips from the Mustang might work on the XJS. I went to the Pick and Pull looking for a donor Jag as well (No luck). Picked up a couple of clips from a 96 convert with a black interior. I think there may be a brown interior used also but I couldn't find one at this time.These have a flat square base and are very sturdy plastic. There is a half in. long locating pin that I cut off and than sanded the base flat. I used the original screws that were still in the windshield header. They bolted up fine and are just a little loose where they grip the visor. I could put a couple of wraps of tape on the visor rod if they won't stay put. Not bad for 1.00.

The biggest problem with my car is that the turn and brake lights don't work. I read one post that recommended exercising the hazard flasher switch to work through any corrosion. My understanding is that the stop/turn lamps are wired through the hazard switch. This makes sense since this switch is always hot and the hazard function will override brakes or turnsignals. I will try to remove the switch and see if I can test the switch and maybe jump some wires to see if that might fix it. maybe a new switch?

Also has anyone had any success rejuvenating old stiff leather? My interior is actually pretty good. The passenger seat is very good but has some small stiff areas. Both seatbacks are in very good condition The driver's seat has a damaged, cracked thigh cushion with a piece of leather that has broken off. maybe 1 1/2 in. by three ins. I will sew a patch panel over this since I will be covering both seats with some nice sheepskins. I would like to soften up the leather a little before I start using the car. Any suggestions. I used a product from Beach city Garage called "voodoo formula" no result. I tried something called Zymoll still no. Any secret potions?

JTsmks 09-10-2015 07:31 PM

Go to e bay and search "Jaguar sunvisor clips". They are everywhere on there for about $20 a set. I personally like armor all leather gel massaged in by hand ( I don't like any other armor all product but love their leather gel) Lexol or pure neets foot oil is good too and available at most tack/feed stores.

Bc xj 09-10-2015 11:16 PM

I used a leather product from a tach store. I used it daily for a week or two before the leather maintained its moisture. Looked good when I was done.

BuzGuy 10-19-2015 09:32 PM

Nice looking XJS indeed

I really like the red color on your car. Mine is white and kind of blah... then I remember that red cars are like cop magnets so maybe I'm better off with the white one I just got. The cop magnet thought is actually how I decided between my white one and a red one I was thinking about at the same time.
Thanks and good luck to you,
BuzGuy :icon_dance-twist:

Flint Ironstag 10-20-2015 02:22 PM

Re: leather. You're in sunny San Francisco, so this will work for you.

1. clean the leather thoroughly

2. liberally apply (I mean really work in and then slather on more) your preferred conditioning product to ALL leather surfaces

3. wrap and cover all treated surfaces in black trash bag or saran wrap

4. leave parked in the sun for a few days

6. remove wrap and excess conditioning product

Enjoy

BuzGuy 10-20-2015 08:27 PM

May I ask: What are you talking about? I only said I liked your red car. Are you baking bread in your car now or what?
Thanks,
BuzGuy

kenatofc 10-20-2015 08:33 PM

BTW,
I have an 89 xjs, need any parts
ken in wv

Flint Ironstag 10-21-2015 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuzGuy (Post 1332060)
May I ask: What are you talking about? I only said I liked your red car. Are you baking bread in your car now or what?
Thanks,
BuzGuy

If you're asking about my post, this is how you recondition your leather on the cheap. Remarkable results. And if you choose the right conditioner (Leatherique), it will rejuvenate that lovely drawing room aroma each and every time you open the heavy doors. Heavenly.

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a Rolls Royce, but no Benz, BMW, or Porsche of similar vintage maintains that classic leather & wool scent of a ~30 year old XJS.

tokyodon 10-27-2015 06:29 PM

Mine is 38 no wood but leather and wool oooh. Connolly hide food I think the name has been changed to Connolly hide care. in any case here is a link.

Amazon.com: connolly hide care

BuzGuy 10-27-2015 07:17 PM

Rejuvenating My Jag Leather

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag (Post 1332799)
If you're asking about my post, this is how you recondition your leather on the cheap. Remarkable results. And if you choose the right conditioner (Leatherique), it will rejuvenate that lovely drawing room aroma each and every time you open the heavy doors. Heavenly.

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a Rolls Royce, but no Benz, BMW, or Porsche of similar vintage maintains that classic leather & wool scent of a ~30 year old XJS.

YES, I was asking about your leather conditioning post. This latest reply of yours now tells me what your product name is BUT, I looked it up and found there are several products to pick from. Could you please look at this link and tell me which to use/buy?> Leatherique | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
Thanks,
BuzGuy