XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is a 'Scrapper' Worth more than a 'Runner' ? (XJS V12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Is a 'Scrapper' Worth more than a 'Runner' ? (XJS V12)

One of the biggest and most expensive mistakes I've ever made (Car Wise)

Was buying the XJS that is now my Scrapper!

Not knowing anything at all about the XJS I got stitched up by the Seller, who convinced me what a really great Car this was.

It certainly seemed to look that way, up until the moment that the MOT ran out and then I was given an 'estimate' for 'gazillions' to put it right and

knowing I was about to throw 'Good money after Bad' I parked her up.

Where she virtually disintegrated right in front of my eyes.

One of the reasons why I hung on to this pile of rust, was in effect to remind myself to 'look before I leapt' and never to be so blinking stupid again!

But every Cloud, as they say, has a Silver Lining and over time that 'Scrapper' has been worth its weight in Gold, for various spares, for as everyone here knows only too well.

Spares for an XJS can cost you a Fortune! that is even if they are still available and having done a quick 'Tally Up' I reckon I've almost got my money back.

So what's your Story

Old 05-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The sum of the parts exceeds the whole!!

Well, until all you have left is an immobile carcass?

But, if one has the strength and/or tools, one can chop it into manageable pieces and visit the iron monger. Steel brings a fair pence in some places.

When I was a d, an acquaintance ran a small car flip business in his parent's back yard. Buy old inoperable Fords cheap. Combine the good parts and sell them. well, that left a lot of carcasses that displeased his overly tolerant parents.

OXY acetylene cost too much to cut them up. A big axe and a hacksaw did it.

I had a 34 semi derelict Ford 5 window coupe. I traded a pistol for it. It ran, somewhat decently. I raced it on the desert along with other junk, but some were decent racers!!! The fact that the block was cracked and that the oil became an emulsion after some use seemed not an issue. As I worked in a gas station, used oil was free. Some of it just barely used!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
orangeblossom (05-31-2015), ronbros (06-05-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just imagine those of us here looking for an UnObtainable part. Say a radiator for a automatic trans. $900US? It boggles the mind what you could get by parting it out. But the wife still wants to hear the V12!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikeburg
Just imagine those of us here looking for an UnObtainable part. Say a radiator for a automatic trans. $900US? It boggles the mind what you could get by parting it out. But the wife still wants to hear the V12!
Yes Mike

You are bang on there, just one unobtainable part could be worth the price of the Car.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I bought a scrap XJ-S V12 (1990 model) for €800 because I wanted the rims off of it. I sold the rest of the parts and had about €2300 profit being the engine (which was already partly dismantled and is now in an E-Type) and many other bits and bobs.

Scrap (donor car) cars are worth a good bit of cash if you have the time and patience to remove all the parts

orangeblossom (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
I bought a scrap XJ-S V12 (1990 model) for €800 because I wanted the rims off of it. I sold the rest of the parts and had about €2300 profit being the engine (which was already partly dismantled and is now in an E-Type) and many other bits and bobs.

Scrap (donor car) cars are worth a good bit of cash if you have the time and patience to remove all the parts
Absolutely agree on that, a good set of rims could be worth the price of the Car.

Hi Daim

While you are there, can you throw any light on these products?

I know that 'Luft' means 'Air' but that's about it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...js-v12-143578/

Old 05-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I think that scrappers are priceless. Every first time XJS owner should have one.
Let me explain. I bought a convertable XJS for $800 and I thought I could get it running. Lol. Not a chance.
I did learn how to get the top, windows, locks, headlight wipers and heated washer jets and many other things going. After a couple weeks I figured that this car was a no go. After that there was no stopping me. I took apart everything. It was a great learning experience.
I then kept some goodies for me, sold a bunch and still have more for sale.
So a short story here is that the car proved to be priceless.

Last edited by Bc xj; 05-31-2015 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
Greg in France (06-01-2015), orangeblossom (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

My 76 is a scraper I have been taking it apart and cataloging the spares for my 77 driver. I'm sure my daughter will appreciate the lot when I'm gone. She will end up with a great car that came into the world the same year she did and lots of spare parts to keep it going.

The following 2 users liked this post by tokyodon:
Greg in France (06-01-2015), orangeblossom (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I think that scrappers are priceless. Every first time XJS owner should have one.
Let me explain. I bought a convertable XJS for $800 and I thought I could get it running. Lol. Not a chance.
I did learn how to get the top, windows, locks, headlight wipers and heated washer jets and many other things going. After a couple weeks I figured that this car was a no go. After that there was no stopping me. I took apart everything. It was a great learning experience.
'Every first time XJS owner should have one'

Maybe they already have! LOL

On a more serious note you are Right!

If I hadn't got 'Stitched Up' by the Seller, I would be looking around for a 'Scrapper' right now!

It doesn't take that many parts to pay for itself.

Greg in France (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tokyodon
My 76 is a scraper I have been taking it apart and cataloging the spares for my 77 driver. I'm sure my daughter will appreciate the lot when I'm gone. She will end up with a great car that came into the world the same year she did and lots of spare parts to keep it going.
There is something reassuring about knowing you've got all the parts, even if they are bolted onto the rusty wreck outside.

Greg in France (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Not only XJS owners, but first time Jaguar owners in general!

Very soon after we got my car a Series3 appeared at a 'local' wrecking yard. We were the first ones on the carcass and virtually stripped it, but left as much intact as possible (not smashing things just because I couldn't use them) in case someone else needed parts we didn't.

I learned how to take my own car apart without ruining it; I learned where things were hidden; I learned how some of the more Unique things worked (Completely Unlike Mercan cars, that's how!) and several "marvels" of Brutish engineering.

Everything I learned taking that junker apart has been useful when repairing Nix. I highly recommend practicing on a junker first.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (06-01-2015), orangeblossom (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

I've got to agree with that Lnr, the under tray from my 'Scrapper' looked fit for the skip but after some 'spit and polish' came up looking like new!

Not much change from £100 for one of those with a Spoiler, if you can find one!