XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Seat recovering

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Seat recovering

I have a new to me 1994 XJS AJ6 rag top and besides the drivers seat it's nearly mint. I purchased the car knowing I would need to recover the seats, so it is what it is. I've done this project on my other classic cars, however they mostly had simplistic manual seats compared to these.

I've read the other posts on the various vendors that supply covers. I see "Autoberry" but it appears their leather covers are mixed leather and vinyl. I'm also not 100% convinced after seeing some of the pictures that the fit will be what I'm looking for.

Can anyone post any any additional pictures of their recovered seats in the various vendors materials? I also need to do the arm rest of course.

Failing all else I'll just bite the bullet and take it to a trim shop I use, but I like doing my own projects, twenty years ago I was a professional mechanic so I'm pretty handy.

I think it's compulsory to post pictures of your new ride on forums, I just have the one since the weather was moving in yesterday.

Seat recovering-o4f6cuy.jpg

Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Sorry can't help on the seats (mine need doing!) but nice looking car.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Is it just one or two panels of the seats, or the whole things? Can you post a picture?

The previous owner of my XJS had the left drivers bolster replaced with new leather, by an auto upholstery shop. Looks great, color is a perfect match.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

WorldUPH.com
Very happy with the seat covers. All good leather. Door panels are vinyl from factory. World can supply vinyl. Arm rests? I am still trying to figure that one out. I haven't found any recover or new yet. I bought the covers and had a local guy put them on. More than I wanted to do.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (02-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Time-Pilot
I have a new to me 1994 XJS AJ6 rag top and besides the drivers seat it's nearly mint. I purchased the car knowing I would need to recover the seats, so it is what it is. I've done this project on my other classic cars, however they mostly had simplistic manual seats compared to these.

I've read the other posts on the various vendors that supply covers. I see "Autoberry" but it appears their leather covers are mixed leather and vinyl. I'm also not 100% convinced after seeing some of the pictures that the fit will be what I'm looking for.

Can anyone post any any additional pictures of their recovered seats in the various vendors materials? I also need to do the arm rest of course.

Failing all else I'll just bite the bullet and take it to a trim shop I use, but I like doing my own projects, twenty years ago I was a professional mechanic so I'm pretty handy.

I think it's compulsory to post pictures of your new ride on forums, I just have the one since the weather was moving in yesterday.

l replaced the seat cover in my xjrs a couple of years ago. Terrys jaguar was the vendor and the cover was perfect including the piping. Old cover came off without a hitch and new one on, perfect result.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Check out Lseat.com

i recently reskinned my wife’s drivers seat for a Honda Pilot. The quality of the leather is probably better than what the original Honda leather was, but that’s a pretty low standard.

At the price they sell them, I think it’s easily worth the risk if you’re willing to do the work yourself!

it took me all day to do one seat, and I’m not sure I had enough fun to want to do the other one. I’m considering paying someone else to do it....

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks almost like a twin to my 1996

Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

If you want ready to install kits you can ask Bas to send you what ever you want.

https://www.basjaguartrim.com

Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice color choice...

Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Here are some interior shots:

Seat recovering-by5dkm1.jpg

Seat recovering-6mceh7i.jpg

I contacted Paul's Jaguar this morning and ordered his covers since ehe has the actual supply of Connely (sp) leather on hand. I'm also shipping him the center console to be recovered as well. All said and done it should take three weeks to get everything to my doorstep then I'll start a new thread of the process of replacement.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations on vendors, "Jeremy" and Paul's was extremely helpful.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I was watching some you tube videos on seat restoration, using those Furniture Clinic type products. These are where you sand down the top finish, use a paste to fill in cracks smooth and recolor and finish the top coat. For a small repair I think they could be useful. The end results look great but I just don't think that the repair could hold up to daily use.

Your driver seat looks like it's in much better shape than mine. The leather is as hard as beef jerky and large chunks have cracked off the seating surface. I tried treating the seats with a conditioner, but it wasn't effective in softening the leather. I'll just live with my seats for now, my car needs other things first, but I'll be following this thread. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I contacted Paul's Jaguar this morning and ordered his covers since ehe has the actual supply of Connely (sp) leather on hand. I'm also shipping him the center console to be recovered as well. All said and done it should take three weeks to get everything to my doorstep then I'll start a new thread of the process of replacement.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations on vendors, "Jeremy" and Paul's was extremely helpful.
That sounds like a great plan.

Are you considering:
1. new seat foam? This is your last chance to get the seat back into original shape!

2. Upgrading the seat heater? Aftermarket seat heaters would work much better than the weak ones the car comes with. Aftermarket heaters should be simple to splice in.

3. Upgrade the lumbar support. Will that rubber bag last forever? Perhaps upgrading to a modern lumbar system.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I'm all about job scope creep!

Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Excellent choice. I incorrectly referenced "terrys" in an ealier post when the vendor was actually Paul's jaguar.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
That sounds like a great plan.

Are you considering:
1. new seat foam? This is your last chance to get the seat back into original shape!

2. Upgrading the seat heater? Aftermarket seat heaters would work much better than the weak ones the car comes with. Aftermarket heaters should be simple to splice in.

3. Upgrade the lumbar support. Will that rubber bag last forever? Perhaps upgrading to a modern lumbar system.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I'm all about job scope creep!
Who sells the foam?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Not sure if they do exist new. Paul's would be one source. Here are the only other two I've come across. You'd have to call to make sure they have 'em...

Interior Trim @ The Jag Shop UK

Seat Upholstery, Carpet Sets, Converitble Tops, Headliners, Door Panels and Rubber Seals for Jaguar XJS Coupes & Convertibles from World Upholstery & Trim

Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM

OK, some progress. The console cover is back from Paul's in Florida, they did a magnificent job.

Seat recovering-gdbza34.jpg

The covers for the front seats have also arrived from Pauls in full Connely leather which I believe is an improvement over my original seats which appear to have fake leather bolsters.

I have the seats out this afternoon and packed in the back of my Rover to drop at the trimmers tomorrow. After taking a look at them I think they need enough foam work that the trimmer at $500 to install is money well spent. (I also found $3.00 in change so that's going to help costs.)

Seat recovering-m8khayg.jpg

Geewhite (05-08-2021)
Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

How much did the armrest cost to have redone?

Old 03-25-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
How much did the armrest cost to have redone?
It was $134. I’m not sure though if the price was was packaged with the front covers.

Vee (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Just a "pro tip" when you drop your seats off to have them worked on, or are working on them yourself line up the seat tracks with the bolt holes in the tracks so the shop can remove the tracks. This would have saved me a trip back home to plug the seats back in to align them.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

The sides of the seats are supposed to be vinyl, nothing wrong with that. They don't see any abrasion, so leather isn't a benefit, but they do get flexed a lot, which stresses leather.

I'm not sure of the entire construction on the updated seats, but on my 88 the sides of the bottom are vinyl.

Quick Reply: Seat recovering