XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Shooting brake debut at brits on the bay, pensacola

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Shooting brake debut at brits on the bay, pensacola

I am presently making final adjustments and packing up tools, supplies and toiletries for the journey down to Brits in the Bay car show Saturday in Pensacola Florida. Thanks to Jonathan W for the idea to motivate down there. Having an end goal helped organize my strategy and while the Shooting Brake is not completely down it is presentable enough for a car show.

Pics soon!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

We'll be waiting, have fun!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 PM

I came in 3rd place, out of 3 XJS's. The other two I would describe as daily drivers.

My personal belief is that the other participants were too psychologically overwhelmed with the enormity of my project and their brains shut down when voting.

Or is could be that I was in the XJS class and parked with the modified cars so comparisons were confused.

Had a lot of fun, fun trip, 645 miles and no breakdowns, averaged about 13 MPG with an average speed of roughly 80 for most of trip.

Attached Thumbnails Shooting brake debut at brits on the bay, pensacola-img_4003.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bullittandy:
JagZilla (04-18-2016), Safari (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Part of the problem may be that you did such a good job that the average person has no idea how special your car is!

I think if you put it in a show with more knowledgeable judges you will do well.

I congratulate you on completing the project and thank you for sharing the build process.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (04-26-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:11 AM

That's what I was thinking too. (I should note that my comment about people being "psychologically overwhelmed" was a joke. It sounds douchey read straight.

What was very interesting is that I spoke, at length, to two different engineers (one worked on ignition systems at Ford for years) about the project. They both intuitively knew all of the engineering challenges.

I'm going to sign up for another show here in Atlanta and try again!

I got the chance to meet Jonathan (Jonathan W) and he was great fun to talk to.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't know how you could have placed 3rd out of only three entries, unless they just don't like modified Jags. I agree with Safari, that your car is so well done that they probably didn't realize it had been modified so extensively. For your next show(s), I suggest that you include a photo album, with pix documenting your starting point, and progress photos of the build. Let people see just how complex the project was.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

i have never entered mine in a judging competition , though i have shown at lots of events, i just don't like the idea of people judging my car , its either liked or not, i can live with that, but having people say ' you could have done this differently ' gets my goat , lol

but as above, i know the before and after pics always go down well , and you may try and get yourself an Eventer brochure to show what you are emulating

and also say that this work rescued the car rather than scrapping it , so you did it ' your way ' which in my opinion is great

all the best for the next trip out

BB

Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

3rd place is still on the podium so good job!

Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

This response is in no way meant to be denigrating of your project. I have followed the thread documenting the build in its entirety and having been in the auto restoration, collision repair and even taught the vocation in a public school system I was impressed with the endeavor.

As for where you placed in competition against 3 other XJSs I want comment other then to say all I have seen are photos and unfortunately photos can be very deceiving both in a positive and also negative way.

I remember one of your photos had a wrap on the roof that according to your explanation was to hide less then stellar body work but in the photo at the competition the wrap was not present.

You mentioned that you met Jonathan W so is he the only one on this forum that has seen the actual car ???.

Once again this post is not meant to be denigrating in any way just the thoughts of someone who grew up in the industry and done this for a living for the last 40 years.

Wayne

Last edited by swayne; 04-18-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish I had your talent. I think the work you did is mind blowing.
I guess it depends on what they where judging. I could have the nicest XJS on the forum but still get slammed for having a V8 and a leaper on the hood. People are funny that way.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 3rd place finish

I happen to own the car that won the XJ-S class. Your car should have been either parked with the other two or voted with the modified cars. I admired the work you did and told you so at the show.

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
Part of the problem may be that you did such a good job that the average person has no idea how special your car is!

I think if you put it in a show with more knowledgeable judges you will do well.

I congratulate you on completing the project and thank you for sharing the build process.

Mark
I totally agree...
what you needed was a 52" screen by the car with a power point presentation from just before you cut the top back off until the finished project... I collected all the pics from your other thread to make a slide show for my wife...
result was... I do not have any excuses that will work with her on not being able to do something on my XJS ....hahahhahaaha....

It should have been in the Modified....
yes a superior effort and result, that was not recognized as it should have been by your peers. I see it as a 1st place but I was not there to vote... sorry Andy...

I have not been to the meetings of Panhandle British car club since the fall of last year... Artistic Obligations every Monday that are now over until next Fall... I would have talked you up a bit...

I was nice to meet you Andy... and my Wife and I would like to apologize and say we are sorry and that next time you are in town we would have you over or out to dinner... I am PMing why we were not on our game...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 04-26-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittandy
I came in 3rd place, out of 3 XJS's. The other two I would describe as daily drivers.

My personal belief is that the other participants were too psychologically overwhelmed with the enormity of my project and their brains shut down when voting.

Or is could be that I was in the XJS class and parked with the modified cars so comparisons were confused.

Had a lot of fun, fun trip, 645 miles and no breakdowns, averaged about 13 MPG with an average speed of roughly 80 for most of trip.
no they just did not conceive that it was not bought off the showroom floor...
just the way it sat.... it was that convincing .... they most likely thought the only MOD was the Intakes.... hahahhaha.... and the XK8 wheels...