Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Smell of fuel in the boot (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/smell-fuel-boot-217471/)

brinny 05-07-2019 02:31 PM

Smell of fuel in the boot

Evening all, I had the fuel tank re sealed and repaired at Xmas. I have re connected everything a couple of months ago and am sure there are no leaks. Despite this I am still getting a smell of fuel in the boot. Any suggestions to possible problems or solutions please. Many thanks in advance.

leo_denmark 05-07-2019 03:04 PM

In my case the smell came from leaking steel line over the IRS

brinny 05-07-2019 03:40 PM

Those pipes are new as well. It seems to be coming from the filler cap area.

Time-Pilot 05-07-2019 03:57 PM

How is your pressure at the fuel cap after a drive?

warrjon 05-07-2019 04:32 PM

Have you checked the vents, they are on the RH side of the tank at the top.

BradsCat 05-07-2019 07:54 PM

Mine got some gas into the foam backing of the rubber mats. I washed them but still the odor is there although not nearly as bad as it was.

I probably should have replaced the mats when I replaced the gas tank two years ago.

brinny 05-07-2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Time-Pilot (Post 2067077)
How is your pressure at the fuel cap after a drive?

I

I haven’t driven the car. It has been on axle stands for some time undergoing restoration work.

brinny 05-07-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon (Post 2067102)
Have you checked the vents, they are on the RH side of the tank at the top.

I don’t recall any vents on the tank warren. There is a small hose as I remember going from the tank to the filler cap if you mean that?

Brewtech 05-07-2019 11:38 PM

Evap system always comes to mind, but not sure if you have one.

brinny 05-07-2019 11:55 PM

I don’t think I have. It’s an 89 v12 convertible. Tank is slightly different to a coupe I think?

Spikepaga 05-08-2019 12:27 AM

If the sender unit was removed, it is possible the gasket was not replaced or is too old.

Greg in France 05-08-2019 01:02 AM

Brinny
Which of the many pipes inside the boot did you renew, as well as sorting the tank?
Just a few ideas:
It would be worth taking a very careful look at the filler flexible. This is not easy to connect properly and tighten
Did you use new olives on the connectors into the boot?

If all else fails, then block the inlet and outlet pipes and all the others except one, and pressurise the tank using a radiator pressurising gizmo from some pipe or other and see where it weeps/hisses etc.

ptjs1 05-08-2019 07:43 AM

brinny,

You didn't mention which of your cars is having the problem? IIRC, the 4 litre facelift setup has 3 flexible hoses on the top of the tank. The one that is the most inaccessible has a tendency to collapse and deteriorate which can cause fumes in the boot.

Good luck

Paul

Noah 05-08-2019 10:07 AM

Lots of possible sources for the smell as indicated by the various responses. I'd invest in a fuel sniffer like the Tif 8800 to help isolate the source. Very useful and time-saving tool and you can get them used off of ebay for $50-$80. I used one on my XJS to trace the fuel odor source to a wiring bodge through the evaporative flange on top of the tank. Good luck.

ronbros 05-08-2019 12:04 PM

also , i have had many different makes of cars,, and ALL of those with the tank located INSIDE the car body always had some fuel oder! (of course there are exceptions)

the cars with tank and associated parts located outside the body, had little to nothing for oder!,,(altho they had other problems,like crash fires,minor stuff tho LOL.
ron

ptjs1 05-08-2019 12:11 PM

brinny,

apols, just noticed that you were talking about your 89 convertible.

Paul

brinny 05-08-2019 02:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I will dig deeper. All hoses were renewed when the tank was replaced and I will indeed check the filler hose connection Greg. I feel it is in that area my problem lies. Once more thanks lads.

BradsCat 05-08-2019 04:42 PM

I suggest taking the tank out. the car s 30 years old. If it ever had moisture in the trunk (boot) and it got under the tank it could deteriorate it over time.
All kinds of hoses and connectors associated with these cars.

Two additional potential sources are the fuel sender unit locking ring not being fully seated and the fuel filter clamps. Also check the 'expansion tank' and hoses located under the battery on my '87

mghirsch 05-08-2019 08:22 PM

In my case, I was getting seepage from the sending unit. Not the gasket and locking ring, but the actual sending unit.,

JayJagJay 05-10-2019 08:10 AM

There is a "gator" right at the top of the filler neck. It is fragile (mine was after years of sitting) and I would imagine that part of resealing the tank would very well have disturbed the gator, fuel cap, fuel tank connection... It is ribbed/accordion style and a leak in this is not always easy to see. Ya can't get your eyes around the entire circumference to check.

What might help checking is to undo the bolts/screws that hold the gas cap to the body, undo the clamp (in the boot) that secures the gator to the cap assembly, remove the cap and then inspect the gator cap assembly seal from outside the car/boot.... Just my 2cents...