Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   so has anyone actually made 500bhp from a v12 pre.he (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/so-has-anyone-actually-made-500bhp-v12-pre-he-95447/)

Greg in France 07-07-2021 07:31 AM

Have you machined a channel into the top of the liner?

ronbros 07-07-2021 05:59 PM

Greg thats the tool he is using in pic, with handles stiking up! it cuts a slot in the liner flange,actually works quite well!
my opinion in todays CNC world i would cut a groove up into the head surface at least an 1/8inch deep, and have a custom liner made that protrudes into the groove, maybe even use a seal ring gasket that would keep out of the slot away from heat and pressures!
i had the same tool yrs back , when i ran a performance engine business , in DAYTONA FL.
sealing gaskets lose ability when a hot spot in an area that may be weak, of course running close to wide open throttle for hours on end can find the weak hot spots!
any way OLE IS AWESOME machinist!! and a deep thinker!
i love what he does with the JAGUAR V12 engines and many other type engines, that takes serious thinking and out of the box of normal!

Greg in France 07-08-2021 01:18 AM

Thank you Ron, I wondered what that pic was!

Mobeck Tekniske 07-08-2021 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France (Post 2413608)
Have you machined a channel into the top of the liner?

Like this, make them real bullet proof, and I can use normal gaskets witch is smart if you have a mishap and need to to heads off work in a hurry
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b9557313f3.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...571cccf02f.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1814dd0c65.jpg

Greg in France 07-09-2021 01:13 AM

Brilliant!

ronbros 07-09-2021 11:17 AM

OLE , i add back yrs ago i used copper wire , but talking with some Top fuel mechanics, they use a SOFT Stainless steel wire , saying it handles high temps better than copper,, but DAMIFINO???
never had a problem with either one??
ron

Mguar 07-09-2021 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros (Post 2412369)
if your gonna turbo then you would need a custom piston, todays cost are down , like $100. bucks each(12)!
also there is noway a GOOD turbo engine is gonna be cheap!
a good piston design will put more squish/swirl in chamber, have around a 9-1 comp ratio.
the stock early flat chamber heads would pull over 6500RPM , and proper cams and springs could raise it to over 7000+ revs!
and OLE has some experiance in custom flat heads (CNC etc).
my early 5.3 heads are hand ported , fitted with 3MM oversize inlet valves , 2MM over exhaust valves, custom and lightened ,polished, altho i MAYBE should have done 2mm inl.
and 3mm exhaust knowing the outlet ports are slightly flow resistant,,?
but nowhere as bad as later HE exh. ports!
to add the HERON chamber is highly resistent to detonation, thats why it needs a lot of ignition lead, good tuning will help take care of that!
as of right now i'm running 45 degrees total timing, and no sign detonation, 27yrs countin! with Euro 9-1 pistons in it!
custom SDS ECU , ,HI performance engines need ,TUNING-TUNING-TUNING!
ron

We may be saying much the same thing with different perspectives. You have done well with your Euro spec 9.0-1 pistons. And they would better than the 7.8-1 pistons common here in America. But with 7.8-1 pistons it’s possible to increase the boost without risk of detonation.
The stock Cast pistons will work and forged pistons ( which are heavier than stock cast pistons ) just aren’t needed unless all out racing is planned.
The real trick is to open up the ring gap.
I’m inclined to simply double the stock end gap. The slight additional loss of oil isn’t critical in racing applications.
Our V12 was conceived in the late 1950’s and first came into being in the 1960’s. Production started in 1971. That’s 50 years ago. There is absolutely no way a 50 year old engine will be competitive against new engines. But it will be fun when raced against similar aged engines in Vintage racing.

My budget limited by my retirement doesn’t allow me to spend to obtain the best. Instead I make do with OK. Vintage racing doesn’t put the same demands that professional racing does. Age and treachery will often provide me with the ability to race and even occasionally beat guys with massively bigger budgets.

Mguar 07-09-2021 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros (Post 2414481)
OLE , i add back yrs ago i used copper wire , but talking with some Top fuel mechanics, they use a SOFT Stainless steel wire , saying it handles high temps better than copper,, but DAMIFINO???
never had a problem with either one??
ron

I used the Gas filled O Rings Datsun used on their turbo’d Z cars. I don’t know if they are still available. But it was simple to chuck the cylinders in the lathe, cut a groove and set that O ring on top of the cylinder using a regular head gasket.

ronbros 07-09-2021 07:58 PM

i use TOTAL seal GAPLESS piston rings,,
ron

Mguar 08-13-2021 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mobeck Tekniske (Post 2410899)
Yes, or increase the VE like I did on the Gr.A engine by being friends with pulsetuning because of matching cams, compression, maifold runner diameters and an length, ports with correct cross section and flow. This way we can get up to 120% VE, its like adding boost..
But to go passt 100% you must have a good plan and a good recipie, to get passt 110% you have full control of what you are doing. And 120% I have done only on 3 engines in my life. Some mention the helmholtz and plenums, well this is beyond that.

given your progress with your tribute car I’m inclined to give you the respect I believe you’ve earned.
Given your goal, I understand your reluctance to embrace turbocharging. That’s reasonable. Frankly my goal is to save as many of these XJS’s as I can. If that means someone want 500 horsepower, that’s fine. I’ll discuss that possibility.
Few can achieve that with normal aspiration. Those than can probably don’t need my guidance.
A few more might be saved if the idea of 500 horsepower potential causes them to be saved. Used or not.

Xjeffs 08-26-2021 07:24 PM

Ole

Have you considered this manifold?

https://rennsportfactory.co.uk/product/etype-itbs/

Mobeck Tekniske 08-31-2021 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Xjeffs (Post 2433146)
Ole

Have you considered this manifold?

https://rennsportfactory.co.uk/product/etype-itbs/

Xjeffs, I have seen it, thought about it, calculated, simulated and considered the whole package. And I have no plans of using it.
I cannot see what the intention of this design was regarding tuning. Sometimes when people have a strong urge to have something made they need help from someone, like a cad modeller, and sometimes this cad guy have never heard about pulsetuning, changing sparkplugs, mounting air filters and so on. But they can 3d modell pretty good.
I have no doubt there is resonance tuning in this manifold, its just not where and how I want it for my use, Its about the length and diameter. And when going to the length and cast and machine a manifold like this witch is a costly operation I would put more thought into it than make it look cool, sorry to say.. But this is just my opinion.
The resonance pulse tuning in a manifold is the most important job it has, we are after all talking about tuning of engines to get more tq-hp here, so this exactly question of length and diameter is not something I take lightly.
I have other plans... more adjustable, modular and service friendly.
I have no doubt it will produce 380 hp easily with a moderate setup, and probably 500 hp with another setup. The thing is that with sligtly other dimentions it could produce 420 and 550 with a more moderate setup and also accomodate filters and cold air easyer.

Its a great piece, nice work, lots of parts and I understand why people like it. But its not for me.

Ole M

Mguar 08-31-2021 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mobeck Tekniske (Post 2434622)
Xjeffs, I have seen it, thought about it, calculated, simulated and considered the whole package. And I have no plans of using it.
I cannot see what the intention of this design was regarding tuning. Sometimes when people have a strong urge to have something made they need help from someone, like a cad modeller, and sometimes this cad guy have never heard about pulsetuning, changing sparkplugs, mounting air filters and so on. But they can 3d modell pretty good.
I have no doubt there is resonance tuning in this manifold, its just not where and how I want it for my use, Its about the length and diameter. And when going to the length and cast and machine a manifold like this witch is a costly operation I would put more thought into it than make it look cool, sorry to say.. But this is just my opinion.
The resonance pulse tuning in a manifold is the most important job it has, we are after all talking about tuning of engines to get more tq-hp here, so this exactly question of length and diameter is not something I take lightly.
I have other plans... more adjustable, modular and service friendly.
I have no doubt it will produce 380 hp easily with a moderate setup, and probably 500 hp with another setup. The thing is that with sligtly other dimentions it could produce 420 and 550 with a more moderate setup and also accomodate filters and cold air easyer.

Its a great piece, nice work, lots of parts and I understand why people like it. But its not for me.

Ole M

My issue with it is Individual stacks do not make as much power as a plenum chamber makes. 12 individual pulses of intake having to start and stop every two revolutions. ( intake, compression, power, and exhaust ) They look sexy but that’s it. In addition they are too short to have any low end boost.

Xjeffs 08-31-2021 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mguar (Post 2434735)
My issue with it is Individual stacks do not make as much power as a plenum chamber makes. 12 individual pulses of intake having to start and stop every two revolutions. ( intake, compression, power, and exhaust ) They look sexy but that’s it. In addition they are too short to have any low end boost.

I'm guessing the runner lengths are as long as the standard manifold so I don't think it has a lack of low end torque, just a plenum.

Mobeck Tekniske 09-01-2021 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mguar (Post 2434735)

Well, the effect of stopping of pulses is exactly what you have to play with to make horsepower. This is what makes pulsetuning, and you have to be friends with it and not work against it. The thing is that air are springiest at a certain airspeed, and if the air is to slow you spoil this bouncing effect, and then the engine has to start up the airmovement over and over again by sucking, witch is not so smart. If you have a runner small enough to make the air springy and still large enough to flow enought you are on the right track of something. This diameter of runner is suprisingly small. Adding a plenum can contribute with a secondary pulse tuning effect if you have control of the volum of the plenum, and you are able to design the plenum in a way to smoothen out evetuall power dips. But the main and strongest pulse tuning is in the runners for shure.
But you cannot just make a manifold the look sexy as you say and hope the pulsetuning is correct to the use or engine setup. If you mismatch this you end up making less horsepower.

A typical thing is to increase the runner boresize to make it breathe better. But in reality it is the area 20mm before the valve that is the flow limiting place. And by increasing the runner bore you lower the air speed, and wery typical is to mount a hotter cam at the same time, with a longer dration witch increase the time air is sucked in and as an effect of that the airspeed goes decreases even more. So double slowing of air...

You have to play with these thing to get the right airspeed due to camshoice and rpm rage usage, then choose the correct length to get the tuning frequency where you want it. And you can trick the runner to think it is longer by makeing the runner conical. And also be absolutley shure your smallest section area is not in the runner but in the throat just before the valveseat. If you mnount 44mm valves and port it out to typical throatsize of 83% you get a throatsize of 36.5mm, and that is real silly of your manifold runner is 35mm at the face of the gasket against the head, and even vorse if you have an untouched std manifold witch is about 33mm. If you have sections that is smaller and then larger in the complete runner route you will change the airspeed several times on its route, and you loose huge amounts of pulse energy in the air.

And so on, could talk forever about this...

Mobeck Tekniske 09-01-2021 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Xjeffs (Post 2434950)
I'm guessing the runner lengths are as long as the standard manifold so I don't think it has a lack of low end torque, just a plenum.

I think they may be even longer, but its the diameter that makes the torque loss problem of this manifold.

ronbros 09-01-2021 06:32 PM

on my pre heads , i hand ported inlets and exhausts, and i looked carefully at the inlet port where the bowl connects and opened slightly and blended that area, hoping to increase the swirl effect as air enters the bowl pocket along with 3 MM oversize valves, to help direct swirl into piston chamber!
does it work DAMIFINO , never flowed them , engine been 26yrs and still runnind good!
valve lift is 400 thou, a slight releaf on top edge of bore diameter!
ron

Mguar 09-01-2021 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros (Post 2435294)
on my pre heads , i hand ported inlets and exhausts, and i looked carefully at the inlet port where the bowl connects and opened slightly and blended that area, hoping to increase the swirl effect as air enters the bowl pocket along with 3 MM oversize valves, to help direct swirl into piston chamber!
does it work DAMIFINO , never flowed them , engine been 26yrs and still runnind good!
valve lift is 400 thou, a slight releaf on top edge of bore diameter!
ron

My first set of V12 heads ( flatheads) I spent 200 hours opening them up and getting equal flow. Most of that was getting the flow equal. Only about 40 hours was spent improving flow.
With my vertical mill I cut that down to 10 hours. But I spent an additional 20 hours calculating the XY axis for each port.
The one thing I decided was the swirl would be as designed by the factory. I don’t feel capable of out thinking those factory engineers. I understand swirl is needed but achieving swirl comes at a cost of flow. I can’t afford to do proper back to back testing to determine which trade off to accept.

Mguar 09-01-2021 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mobeck Tekniske (Post 2435055)
I think they may be even longer, but its the diameter that makes the torque loss problem of this manifold.

there is a computer program out there called engine analyzer pro. You can enter all that data and make your choices. Then run it and look at the numbers and curve. Make adjustments and run it again. Until you get the results you actually want.
It’s how I selected parts for the race cars. But I don’t don’t know anything about street driving.