Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Starter issue - I'm cranky, it isn't (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/starter-issue-im-cranky-isnt-218625/)

Mac Allan 06-02-2019 07:12 PM

Starter issue - I'm cranky, it isn't

1 Attachment(s)
I spent the weekend working on my AC and was making some progress and getting optimistic, but the Jaguar gods laughed at my hubris.

The car had been running, and I shut it off to double check that the compressor clutch was engaging as it should. I tried to restart, but this time there was starter motor noise but no engine cranking, then a kind of odd sound when I turned the key off. I've attached an audio file of the sound it makes.

To me, it sounds like the starter motor is turning, but the solenoid is not engaging. Could it be something other than needing a new starter, which I understand is a serious PITA to replace?

Thanks

Doug 06-02-2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan (Post 2079608)

To me, it sounds like the starter motor is turning, but the solenoid is not engaging. Could it be something other than needing a new starter, which I understand is a serious PITA to replace?

Thanks

Yeah, I agree, solenoid.

I'd have a local rebuilder go through the starter rather than buy a replacement, personally.

Removal is a PITA, yes.

Keep careful track of how/where the exhaust heat shields go. It gets confusing !

You need a 12 point socket for the upper bolt and a couple long-ish extensions so you can reduce the angle of attack when removing it

You'll have to drop the RH exhaust pipe

Get comfortable under the car and bring your tools down there with you. You're gonna be there for awhile ! Don't try to plow through the task. It's easier if you just plod along slowly.

Cheers
DD

Jagboi64 06-02-2019 10:55 PM

Second to everything Doug said. I was able to get out the top bolt with a socket, a universal and several extensions, but I managed to round off the head. I was lucky to get it out. Plan to spend 2 days at it, and if possible use impact to undo the exhaust manifold nuts, as you are less likely to break the stud with impact. I still broke a few studs. Good time to replace O2 sensors while they are out though...

I had the car on a hoist and it was still a major PITA job to do.

Mac Allan 06-02-2019 11:20 PM

Oh shit, I mean gosh darn.

This was the last weekend I had "free time" and I didn't even finish with the AC. It'll be a month or more before I can even contemplate tackling this. Dang it.

I'm officially depressed now.

orangeblossom 06-03-2019 03:23 AM

Hi Mac

'Shot in the dark' but just maybe, the spade connector on the Solenoid is corroded or just needs a clean?

Mac Allan 09-08-2019 10:43 AM

Update: Starter replaced

Seemed like a conspiracy against the XJS because ever time it looked like I'd have a free weekend to tackle the job, something would happen to one of the family's daily driver fleet that would need attention and the XJS kept getting pushed back. After a day of replacing the Air Struts on the Vanden Plas, I decided that I'd saved so much money doing the job myself, I'd breakdown and pay someone to do the starter otherwise it might not get done before rainy season.

Interestingly, the original factory starter was a Marelli unit with a 'rebuilt' sticker on it. I have to get used to the different noise that the Bosch gear reduction starter makes when you turn the key, but the beast is running beautifully.

olivermarks 09-22-2020 05:56 PM

Thanks for this thread, I just had the same issue on my xj12, your mp3 file sound is identical to mine!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-file-237788/
I'll spring for the Bosch unit, don't want the nightmare of thinking I've repaired the starter, putting it back then it fails again. Been there done that, triggers expletives and sour face.