Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Tell me if I'm just being cheap... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/tell-me-if-im-just-being-cheap-214943/)

J_C_R 03-12-2019 03:19 PM

Tell me if I'm just being cheap...

So in mid December I put 0W20 in the car since it was going to spend the winter outdoors, and at times the temperature never made it above zero (F) for days. Anyway, something resembling spring seems to be arriving, so in the next several weeks I'll put something of a more suitable weight in it.

Given that the 0W20 has been in the car about 90 days, and with less than 500 miles on it, does it make sense to drain it and use it again next winter? I always change filters with every oil change, and I would do that too. Granted oil isn't that expensive, but it isn't cheap either, and even though I would take it to a reputable recycler, it seems a bit of a waste unless it's a really bad idea.

This question clearly illustrates that I'm not a mechanic :-)

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
70,000 miles

Vee 03-12-2019 04:18 PM

Explain to me the point of 0w20 again? They make a 0w40....wouldn’t that get you what you wanted....all year round?

i suppose you could put back the 500 mile oil, but gosh darn it.....just seems like a waste of time. I’d suggest finding a suitable weight you can use all year round.

I daily drive my car, through the Washington DC winters and 0w40 serves me well all year round.

icsamerica 03-12-2019 05:29 PM

You certainly can drain, store in a sealed container and reuse. No sense in wasting the oil or the money. I'd run it through a screen to catch any sediment that came out of the sump though. If you're going to do this often and perhaps with more than 1 car, consider an oil extractor that pulls the oil up through the dip stick tube using a proboscis like device. Some of them are electric and will make it quick and easy.

I would not use a 0W40 in a V12 in any climate. The V12 runs hot, warms up quickly and has looser tolerances than modern engines. Save the 0w-40 for modern clean engines, with tight tollerances and roller cam followers. Newer engine keep the oil cleaner which preservers the viscosity improvers.

0W-40 might be 40 weight a 100c in a lab under ideal conditions but 0w-40 weight oil uses viscosity improvers to get to the 40 rating at 100C and those "improvers" wear out and viscosity falls off the cliff at hotter temps over 100C. Also viscosity improvers are not good for older engines that have flat tappet cams. Newer engine with roller style cam followers dont need the shear load strength the viscosity improved oils lack.

Vee 03-12-2019 08:30 PM

So basically, toss the 0w20....you won’t want to put that back in there.

J_C_R 03-13-2019 05:11 PM

I'll be doing it just once a year, and since I'm retired I have the time to drain and filter it. Only one car.

My hesitation about 0-40 is that Jaguar doesn't recommend it. My ambient temperature range is -15F to +90 F. Sure, oil technology has changed in the last 32 years, but it is, after all, a 32 year old engine, and I'd rather err on the conservative side. And...marketing being marketing, 0W40 may not really be the catch-all that it's presented to be. Old age makes one think that way :-)

BTW, mine is a daily driver too.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses!

John