Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Temporary rear end swap (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/temporary-rear-end-swap-219079/)

marke 06-12-2019 11:22 PM

Temporary rear end swap

Hi, Unfortunately I have to do a temporary rear end swap from a S2 XJ6 into my XJS. Does anyone foresee any problems in getting it to go in?

My XJS diff is the Salisbury 4HU, I'm thinking the only issue I may have stopping me is if there is a different companion flange on the S2 XJ6 diff that doesn't mate to my XJS tailshaft.

My XJS doesn't run ABS brakes so no issues there although I may have to do some slight tinkering with the handbrake cable and potentially the brake hose thread will be different. The diff companion flange might be the main show stopper, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me before I get under both cars and work it out for myself. Thanks

Crackerbuzz 06-13-2019 12:50 AM

Its a pretty major task. Why would you do this temporarily?

marke 06-13-2019 06:41 AM

I know it sounds like a lot of wasted time. But a few months back I had my XJS rear end rebuilt and in the process had the suspension guy replace the pinion seal and output bearings on the diff. Now 3 months later it's developed a horrible whine and the diff oil tells a sad story.

So to keep the XJS daily driver on the road while I track down a 2.88 gear set for my XJS I have the option of switching in a complete rear end from a Series 2 car that has other issues and isn't being used. Figured I should be able to get it done over a weekend assuming nothing too major turns out to be incompatible!

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can track down some 2.88 gears for a Salisbury? I've spoken to Ward Engineering in the UK but they are out of stock

Jagboi64 06-13-2019 12:00 PM

I'd be tempted to do a complete IRS swap and use the convention Salilsbury diff. It's probably cheaper to find a good used rear end than to rebuild the differential. The IRS from the S2 should drop right in, although it's probably a different ratio than the XJS.

Only thing I can think of is some XJS have a diff mounted pickup for the speedometer, the S2 won't. I don't know when the changeover was on the XJS.

Fla Steve 06-13-2019 12:18 PM

The stub axle carriers/hubs may indeed have a different bolt pattern for the rear calipers. Early stub axles had a splined hub that bolted on. Later one were one piece. You would just have to use the earlier calipers that come with the SII diff. Too bad you're in AUZZIE Land, cause I have a spare complete 89 XJS rear 2.88 assembly from my parts car.

Crackerbuzz 06-13-2019 02:46 PM

Ive just removed a 2.88 LSD from my 1984

warrjon 06-13-2019 03:55 PM

Your profile does not say where you are in Oz.

These are the 2 places I get my parts from I got a set of 4.09 gears from JagDaim.
Cathouse Spares in Sydney 9898 1700

JagDaim in Melbourne 9553 0333

marke 06-25-2019 05:11 AM

Problem solved...thanks to Tony at AJG Spares in QLD. He was able to supply me with a 2.88 diff so no need for any temporary rear end swaps now