Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Is there a way to empty the gas tank on a AJ16 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/there-way-empty-gas-tank-aj16-155216/)

Spikepaga 12-27-2015 01:11 PM

Is there a way to empty the gas tank on a AJ16

Hello guys;

I haven't been paying too much attention to my cars lately because they where just consuming all my time and not allowing me to spend time on any other interests. Oddly enough, ever since I decided to take a step back they have decided to be totally problem free....don't get me wrong, I still double park and wax regularly, but I have now decided to just let others take care of "most" of the maintenance and to stop cruising eBay for parts I really don't need.

Anyway, the one thing my XJS needs is a new fuel sender. Which seems like a very easy thing to change on a convertible. no it's not the module, I tried a new one and it's still going up and down like crazy.... I might give it a go and change it myself, but I think the tank should be empty. How can I drain it? Has anybody changed their sender in their convertible?

Thanks!

lonejag 03-08-2016 09:38 PM

Unsure if you are still needing to do this. Siphon the fuel from the tank.

orangeblossom 03-09-2016 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga (Post 1371510)
Hello guys;

I haven't been paying too much attention to my cars lately because they where just consuming all my time and not allowing me to spend time on any other interests. Oddly enough, ever since I decided to take a step back they have decided to be totally problem free....don't get me wrong, I still double park and wax regularly, but I have now decided to just let others take care of "most" of the maintenance and to stop cruising eBay for parts I really don't need.

Anyway, the one thing my XJS needs is a new fuel sender. Which seems like a very easy thing to change on a convertible. no it's not the module, I tried a new one and it's still going up and down like crazy.... I might give it a go and change it myself, but I think the tank should be empty. How can I drain it? Has anybody changed their sender in their convertible?

Thanks!

Hi Spike

I've changed both the Sender and the Fuel Pump on my 1995 Celebration Convertible, where the Fuel Tank was located behind a Steel Baffle plate and while changing the sender is easy.

I found it a bit of a PIA to get to.

Steve M 03-09-2016 04:43 PM

Drive it 'till it stops?

catterwaller 03-10-2016 12:23 PM

Assuming it is like my 92. The sender access is from the trunk/boot behind the spare tire. It can be changed out without much trouble with 1/2 tank or less. I've done it a coupe times as I put it in upside down the first time. Pay attention to how the arm is bent as it comes out.

Spikepaga 03-20-2016 04:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was a 20 minute job, took the spare, and the carpeting out. Took the battery out two just to avoid a hazardous situation, thankfully the gas level was just bellow the opening when I removed the sender. Seems to have solved my problem