Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Took Delivery and got her home (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/took-delivery-got-her-home-130507/)

93blkcat 11-06-2014 08:00 AM

Took Delivery and got her home

So I finally was able to pick up my 93 XJS last night and drove it home. Runs as well as I had hoped, soooo much fun to drive ! That being said did find a few items that need attention

Parking Brake light stays illuminated and the hand shifter has no effect on the vehicle. Assuming broken cable? Know the x types have this issue commonly, also a common problem with the xjs?

Check Engine light came on and stayed on. It's pretty much sat for the last 10 years I'm hoping a fluid change, rotor wires plugs and driving will remedy.

Both fog lights are out not sure if it's bulbs or something more serious

Cruise is inop....again more investigation needed.

passenger heated seat doesn't work.

headliner is beginning to sag over driver's seat

So as I said in my hello post looks like I'll be spending quite a bit of time here !

Any thoughts suggestions etc are as always welcomed, despite the "quirks" I'm still happier then a kid in F A O Schwartz when I'm behind the wheel of this beautiful piece of English craftsmanship !

Doug 11-06-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 93blkcat (Post 1095116)
Parking Brake light stays illuminated

Might be that the switch is gunked-up and stuck in the 'on' position.

and the hand shifter has no effect on the vehicle. Assuming broken cable? Know the x types have this issue commonly, also a common problem with the xjs?

Being a '93 you should have the inboard rear brakes. With that set-up the parking brakes are separate calipers.....and 9 times out of 10 they've seized up from lack of use. The fix is to remove, disassemble, clean, lubricate, reinstall. It's no picnic.

Cheers
DD

93blkcat 11-06-2014 09:25 AM

Ah fun stuff!

ptjs1 11-06-2014 09:59 AM

93blkcat,

Apols if this sounds naive, but you do know that the XJS has a fly-off handbrake, don't you? So when it's on, the lever sits flat on the floor and you will feel no tension up to the point where it has been applied. Are you sure you haven't been driving with the brake on?

The first thing you must do is go and buy the official Jaguar Parts and Service Manual on DVD from Jaguar here: Jaguar Heritage. Technical Publications although they seem to be out of XJS ones right now. Don't even think about running this car without the proper service manual.

Good luck with resolving all the little probs.

Paul

Doug 11-06-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 1095196)
93blkcat,

Apols if this sounds naive, but you do know that the XJS has a fly-off handbrake, don't you? So when it's on, the lever sits flat on the floor and you will feel no tension up to the point where it has been applied. Are you sure you haven't been driving with the brake on?

Ahhh....Good point on the operation (and possible mis-operation) but, just FTR, the XJS handbrake is not the 'fly off' type.

A fly-off hand brake does not have a ratchet-pawl system as seen on normal handbrakes, including the XJS. With a fly-off you yank the lever and push the button to lock it. And then press the against button to release it. That's it.

The fold-flat feature on the XJS handbrake does not make it a 'fly off' handbrake

Cheers
DD

ptjs1 11-06-2014 12:14 PM

Doug,

you're absolutely right, it's not a true fly-off handbrake. I was just using the term to try and indicate that it's a "fold-flat" handbrake which confuses some people who think it's off just because it's lying flat on the floor, unlike atypical ratchet handbrake.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, you don't press the button to release a true fly-off handbrake, you pull the lever up and release it without touching the button. If you press the button, it just locks it.

Cheers

Paul

93blkcat 11-06-2014 01:01 PM

well brake fixed... took me a bit to figure out what you folks meant but I got it...now hopefully I didn't screw up to much driving it 70 miles home with it on.

Jonathan-W 11-06-2014 03:50 PM

use the trip computer and get the fault code...
if the trip computer has the words Check Engine you are in luck

turn off the ignition and wait 5 seconds then turn the ignition switch to the II position
(do not start the engine) the relevant Failure code will be displayed.

the codes should be on page 308 of your owner hand book
if you do not have it I have listed them here on another thread...

93blkcat 11-06-2014 04:39 PM

it does good info thanks !!!

Doug 11-06-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 1095274)
At the risk of sounding pedantic, you don't press the button to release a true fly-off handbrake, you pull the lever up and release it without touching the button. If you press the button, it just locks it.

Duly noted, duly noted :)

Cheers
DD

Doug 11-06-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 93blkcat (Post 1095309)
well brake fixed... took me a bit to figure out what you folks meant but I got it...now hopefully I didn't screw up to much driving it 70 miles home with it on.

Probably not...because it probably doesn't work. They usually don't !

Did you smell anything hot/burning back there?

Cheers
DD

malc4d 11-06-2014 07:25 PM

Welcome to Jag ownership. Its a lot of fun.....

:icon_dance-twist:

Stargazer XJS 11-06-2014 08:28 PM

I'm just ending my second week of Jag ownership. No regrets so far.

I've got an '88. We've about the same amount of problems, but it seems the fog lamp issue is the only one we share. I've heard they sometimes aren't even wired up right from the factory, but either way I'll be checking the fuse and bulbs this weekend. I just happen to have a pair of H2 bulbs just laying around waiting to be used.

I digress, welcome to the party!

93blkcat 11-06-2014 11:07 PM

Thanks all

So checked the code says ff22 not listed in my manual ? Can you link your list please ?

EcbJag 11-06-2014 11:24 PM

FF22= Fuel pump drive. Looks for ECM o/p to fuel pump relay

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...79184187,d.aWw

It should open as an Excel Spreadsheet

93blkcat 11-07-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1095449)
Probably not...because it probably doesn't work. They usually don't !

Did you smell anything hot/burning back there?

Cheers
DD

nope nothing hot, but they seem to function ( now that I know how ) , my guess is they were on just enough to trip the light but not enough to engage..

Also this weekend going to try and do wires/plugs and an oil change... Anyone running Amsoil? That's all I run in my Harley and other vehicles and have been very happy with it.

Doug 11-07-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 93blkcat (Post 1095946)
nope nothing hot, but they seem to function ( now that I know how ) , my guess is they were on just enough to trip the light but not enough to engage..

OK, good.

Also this weekend going to try and do wires/plugs and an oil change... Anyone running Amsoil? That's all I run in my Harley and other vehicles and have been very happy with it.
Your Jag isn't fussy. If you're happy with Amsoil your Jag will be happy with Amsoil, too !

Cheers
DD