Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Undercoating questions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/undercoating-questions-214737/)

JigJag 03-07-2019 12:55 PM

Undercoating questions

Does anyone here know what type of undercoating was used on my 1986 coupe?

Also, any clues as to why the undercoating in the rear goes four inches up onto the paint job? I thought it was just an overzealous employee until I saw it consistently on several cars.

icsamerica 03-07-2019 01:50 PM

The product Jag used was most likely 3M Body Shutz. I sprayed it and it seems very similiar in texture and the very dark gray color seem to match. The texture of undercoating is very dependent on the tool you are spaying it with.

That under coating on the rockers is a common rocker panel coating. Many names for it..."rock guard" rock chip spray" "chip guard "rocker guard"
Its thinner than undercoating and goes on with a more consistent orange peel texture. My 928 has it too.

VancouverXJ6 03-07-2019 02:01 PM

I'm glad you asked, I was just fixing the coating on my car with abit of truck bedliner spray and wondered what was originally sprayed on the undersides.

Is your coating some kind of textured colour matched stuff or is it that hard oil wax spray? Would be great if the original stuff is still available.

Daim 03-08-2019 04:28 AM

The Jaguar stuff isn't really very good. Easpeically on the X308... It stops rust happening due to stone chips, but it will suck and absorb water and let the metal behind rust quietly and unseen for years until you can just put your finger through it... :(

JigJag 03-08-2019 05:36 AM

My coating is dark gray, with a broad bump to it. Rocker coating is the same color and a nicer orange-peel texture. The coating appears to have protected my undercarriage quite nicely, but is coming off cleanly in large sheets 6” or so from inside the wheel wells. The rear had a 3” patch missing when I acquired it, and I thought it was damage. Gentle probing and half the rear panel is exposed the other half holding tight. Looks bad. This is the only body panel coated on my car. All the other rockers are uncoated. And the rear rocker seem least likely of all to take a piece of gravel or road debris. I plan to remove the remaining coating here.

With the the wheel wells fully exposed now, I’m considering body color plasti-dip coating in there.

Vee 03-08-2019 06:14 AM

I've used POR15 to patch bare areas on the underside of the car.

katar83 03-08-2019 08:13 AM

Why would anyone want to use original XJS undercoat, that stuff is dreadful and there are much better products now anyway. Undercoat going into paint is to protect sills, even my x300 had it from factory and its 1997.

Daim 03-08-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by katar83 (Post 2036834)
Why would anyone want to use original XJS undercoat, that stuff is dreadful and there are much better products now anyway. Undercoat going into paint is to protect sills, even my x300 had it from factory and its 1997.

I would do the best undercoating ever: oil. When draining the oil from the engine, collect it, spray it on the underside and done. It will NEVER rust again.

Steve M 03-08-2019 10:57 AM

Doesn't used oil contain lots of sulphides and other nasties?
Wouldn't clean oil be better?

Daim 03-08-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 2036919)
Doesn't used oil contain lots of sulphides and other nasties?
Wouldn't clean oil be better?

I would say yes but then again, my car's undercarriage is full of old oil and has so much gunk, that the combination of oil and dust makes it perfectly seal off water and air from accessing the metal...

Some used oils have more sulphur containing molecules and additives than used oil (due to thermal break down).