Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   what a good shock for 1989 XJS 5.3 convert.? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/what-good-shock-1989-xjs-5-3-convert-131221/)

mtpckts 11-15-2014 06:14 PM

what a good shock for 1989 XJS 5.3 convert.?

she a low mile cat ,want to change the shocks which brands doo people like and to keep it looking right. should i paint the shocks and springs flat black or gloss black?

Grant Francis 11-15-2014 06:25 PM

Ones that work is a good start, SORRY, could not resist that after reading the header.

I have used Gabriel and KYB, with good results over many years. I lean towards the KYB.

Monroe (Australian) NO.

Daughter put GAZ on the '40, so so.

sidescrollin 11-15-2014 11:05 PM

The KYBs are super cheap, but I can't really comment on their quality because my car had them all the way around when I got it and they are toast, but they sat for 13 years and were used for who knows how long before that.

If you have the money for around 120 a shock, go with bilstein or Koni. If you can't afford it I would get the gas adjust KYBs.

I am low on funds, so I am going to try Konis up front and KYB in the back since I need four of the damn things

EcbJag 11-15-2014 11:58 PM

I'll swear by my bilsteins. They're really the way to go and if not bilsteins, then Koni's. Only problem with bilsteins is they are super crazy expensive. thedrivenman.com sells 'em.

Bottom line is do it right, do it once. Don't go for the cheap stuff.

AL NZ 11-16-2014 02:06 AM

KYBs on my X300 saloon/sedan were HORRIBLE - crash, bash every bump in the road.
I therefore retrieved my original Bilsteins from the mechanic's skip (luckily not emptied) and had them rebuilt by a guy in NZ who was trained at Bilstein factory in Germany. As good as a new one, plus new Jaguar soft bushes, no urethane. Got my Waft back...

sidescrollin 11-16-2014 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by EcbJag (Post 1102233)
I'll swear by my bilsteins. They're really the way to go and if not bilsteins, then Koni's. Only problem with bilsteins is they are super crazy expensive. thedrivenman.com sells 'em.

Bottom line is do it right, do it once. Don't go for the cheap stuff.

I have heard the Konis are about a responsive as the bilsteins, but not quite a harsh, so it depends on what you are looking for.

Either one is right around $120 a shock.

I have heard some great things about the bilsteins, but I like that the konis are adjustable. Both are monotube gas

mtpckts 11-16-2014 01:47 PM

thanks for all the replys i think i will save up for a set of bilsteins. had set of them on a jeep wow what a difference . i think auto zone had a sale buy 3 get one free. but to the last question ? flat black or gloss black . to give it the factory look for shows?

sidescrollin 11-16-2014 02:23 PM

huh? Aren't they yellow?