Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   07-09 XKR Dynamic Mode Engaged (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/07-09-xkr-dynamic-mode-engaged-99363/)

Mike V 07-25-2013 03:13 AM

07-09 XKR Dynamic Mode Engaged

i.e. I unplugged the Adaptive Dampening Control Module (CATS)

Hailers 07-25-2013 05:24 AM

So? And?

Donzi 07-25-2013 05:32 AM

Ummmm. What am I missing?

Lothar52 07-25-2013 09:00 AM

SwAmP FeVeR!!!!!!

amcdonal86 07-25-2013 09:16 AM

What happens!? Does it make the car stiffer and more sporty?! Any warning lights?

Mike V 07-25-2013 12:02 PM

It's the equivalent of hitting the checkered flag button on the 10+ models. Noticeably stiffer on the highway and much more predictable.

I understand that a lot of the 10+ XKR and XFR owners hit the flag button right when they start driving anyway.

You can just unplug the shock top connector but by unplugging the ADCM no fault codes show up in the dash.

amcdonal86 07-25-2013 02:52 PM

I am fascinated. How do you unplug CATS? Is it a fuse?

That's awfully ironic. I assumed the CATS module was supposed to improve handling. Now I come to find out it's really more for providing a cushy Buick-like ride quality when you aren't driving hard!

agentorange 07-25-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 779425)
That's awfully ironic. I assumed the CATS module was supposed to improve handling. Now I come to find out it's really more for providing a cushy Buick-like ride quality when you aren't driving hard!

Given the state of the roads around here that may not be a bad thing.

Marko 07-25-2013 07:53 PM

I'd be interested to learn more about what exactly needs to be done too, any pointers?

Mike V 07-26-2013 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 779425)
Now I come to find out it's really more for providing a cushy Buick-like ride quality when you aren't driving hard!

That's exactly what the cats is doing. I got the chance to drive it on some twisty roads that I drive all the time and disabling the ADCM (Adaptive Dampener Control Module) has reduced about 70% of body roll, it really feel like sports car handling now more than ever. These results of course are from my SOTP dyno.

The ADCM is what commands the CATS suspension, when active additional solenoids in the shocks are opened, increasing the flow of oils in the shock creating a softer ride. I was on the highway gunning it a couple weeks ago and my front end felt very floaty which made me feel like I didn't have high speed control.

HOW TO: Now to the important part, the ADCM is located behind the passenger side (USA) rear seat, seat back. To get to it you have to first remove the seat cushion (bottom part) by pulling the front edge straight up (two clips will release very easily). Next you have to unscrew a torx bolt you'll find at the bottom of the seat back. Note you'll have to do both sides of the back seats as the seat backs are adjoined with cross support bars. Once you have removed the torx from both seat back sides you can lift them as one, like a bench, just up 2 inches then towards you and their off. Now you will see the fuse box in the center ( the middle back cushion is actually attached to the seat backs cross bars). looking at the fuse box to the left you will see the ADCM. Their are 2 connectors, one for power (small clip), the other for input/output signals (Long clip). They both have push clips in the middle facing you, simply push with one hand and wiggle out to the side (right) with the other.

Once they are disconnected you have basically cut off all communication, the CATS won't activate plus no fault codes b/c the ADCM won't communicate with the CAN Bus.

To some it may sound crazy but on Jaguar Models across the board this is the step everyone takes when installing a non-CATS suspension. It's just a plus that you can make the OEM suspension stiffer this way too.

If you thought removing fuse 19 was a rise, this will really give you a rush.

hawaii 07-26-2013 02:45 AM

Does my 2007 XK have that system or only the xkr?

Mike V 07-26-2013 03:08 AM

X150

The easy way to tell is to pop the hood. If the top of the strut (shock) mount has an electrical wire going to the middle of it then yes it does.

I think all X150 2007-2009 have the CATS suspension system as standard but checking the top of the strut mount in the engine bay will tell you for sure.

2 negatives to unplugging the electrical connector at the stru mount are

1. To disconnect the rear strut connectors you have to remove the entire trunk lining and
2. You will get a suspension fault message in the dash as the ADCM will still be communicating with the CAN Bus.

For me, due to the lack of a dynamic button in the 07-09 models this was the only way to transform our "GT Cruisers" to "GT Sports Cars".

I'm sure an auto electronics guy could run and off/on switch maybe from the ADCM Fuse and have control of this from the drivers seat with a mounted switch if desired. Just food for thought, some guys did this with the active exhaust to fuse 19, e.g. installed a switch rather than just remove it.

rscultho 07-26-2013 05:53 AM

Following Mike V's line of thought:

So it would be *very* easy to use an appropriate chip to create an electronic "switch" to turn the power and ADCM I/O off.

amcdonal86 07-26-2013 06:34 AM

Agh. I was hoping it would just be a fuse removal!

Mike V 07-26-2013 06:53 AM

Fuse 14

It's listed as fuse 14 in the "Passenger Compartment" fuse box. I guess that's the one in the footwell. I hadn't thought to try it and I'm not sure if it would throw a code or not.

Mike V 08-08-2013 12:17 AM

Nose lift

One other attribute of disarming the CATS that has really improved the driving characteristics for me at least is now while going 50-90 on the highway there is NO more floaty feel at the front end.

hawaii 08-08-2013 02:09 AM

Anybody try pulling the fuse yet?

amcdonal86 08-08-2013 09:26 PM

I'm too chicken. :p

Mike V 08-09-2013 12:36 AM

in the fall

I'm going to leave it like this for now but when I start doing some other things in the fall I'll try the fuse route. If it does disengage the ADCM in the same way (off with no warnings lights in the dash) then I'll have my car electrician install a switch so I can maintain the softer ride around town and switch it off once the roads are smooth.

jagxk2008 08-09-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mike V (Post 788257)
I'm going to leave it like this for now but when I start doing some other things in the fall I'll try the fuse route. If it does disengage the ADCM in the same way (off with no warnings lights in the dash) then I'll have my car electrician install a switch so I can maintain the softer ride around town and switch it off once the roads are smooth.

it be cool for 06-09 xkr owners to know if the fuse route works.