Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

If its green, Im buying

Old 12-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Just to clarify - because my original post reads like I personally had a 0-60 in 4.2 sec. I did not. While I've driven 100+mph many times in the Super V8, I never had it on the track. I was referring to stats to make a point but could have added additional info from the start to be clear. Just didn't want anyone thinking I was bullshitting. I save all of my BS for my wife.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ralphwg (12-29-2018), Sean W (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Totally makes sense these cars were tested with a independent device not on a dragstrip

Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm currently the owner of both a '07 XK, and a 2010 XKR, and I have to admit my XK is the more pleasurable of the two to drive. (both are coupes BTW, and I am just north of you near Seattle, so I agree with the coupe vs drop top thanks to our normal weather in the Pacific Northwest.)

While the XKR can spoil you with power, it is a handful to control even on the most lax of days.

The XK, with the sound of its 4.2 will simply purr its way into your heart and the far more supple ride lets you really enjoy distance road trips with a big smile. As for flaws, the thermostat and AC drain tube are by far the most common. I have easily accepted the antenna by disabling it, and don't even think twice about it now. because I listen to Mixed CDs instead.
If I wished anything for my XK, it would be bigger brakes and a limited slip diff. Well, and I guess maybe aux audio interface, that was not included (but can be added).

I would love to try a 1st gen XKR, but I think that it is because 300hp is about 50 shy of ideal. That said, if the early XKR has as harsh a ride as the 2nd gen XKR, I'm not sure if I would care for it like a base XK.

Vince

Old 12-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
You're looking for a summer blaster in the wintertime, wait a couple months for the summer for sale'rs to show up before pulling the trigger.
Perhaps different stateside than here in the UK, here if I want a 4x4 I buy in the Summer, if I want a sports coupe or vert I buy in the winter, this has stood me in good stead in my last 4 purchases (inc my latest XKR) and typically saves me around 15% which more than makes up for the extra year of depreciation..

A result for me really as on Xmas day in my part of the UK it was 13C and today on NYE it got up to 12C, so for me no reason to fit the Winter wheels/rubber and and can still drive mine anywhere at full speed

Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Yes, best time to buy a fancy car is in winter, especially a convertible. Best time to buy anything 4WD is in the spring.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, you live too far away otherwise I would sell you mine. Info is at https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Jaguar...4:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Old 01-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094
Unfortunately, you live too far away otherwise I would sell you mine. Info is at https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Jaguar...4:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Selling already, you've had the car for a month or 2?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Yes. selling it...most likely. I love the car. Its like an old married man (me) dumping his old reliable wife (the Nissan 370Z) for a hot beautiful woman The Jaguar) he barely knew.

What really happened is that I just fell in love and bought it without thinking it through. I had long term (before retirement plans) to some day visit every place I ever lived in the USA in the order I did. I was waiting for my son to become old enough (I was 54 when he was born). Until now, my responsibility was to take him to each morning to his high school, pick him up in the afternoon, take him to any extra curricular activities and so on. He is 16 and has a drivers permit now. I bought him a Honda Fit and he will soon not need my services. I will be free to attack my bucket list in the last decade of my life.

The plan is to drive this Spring from St. Louis to Edwardsville, IL to Riverside Ca, to Fresno, Ca to Dayton, OH to Ann Arbor, MI to Rapid City, SD, to Los Alamos, NM to Oneonta, NY and Back (places I have lived for 1+ years) and through scenic stopovers. Maybe a 45-day trip. I have been planning it for some time.

First, I am scared of driving the Jaguar all over the place (cost of fuel and maintenance). Second, on a similar cross country trip, my then car (a Honda Prelude) developed a problem near ELY, NV and I had to start walking (no cell phones then) by the highway till a man picked me up and dropped me in town. I had to find a tow truck, had the car towed into town, check into a motel. Next day, the repair shop said the parts department of the Honda dealership was closed and I had to wait overnight and got my car fixed. A Jaguar might take a few days longer and may cost a whole lot more if it breaks down.

I just think the Jaguar is a great city car simply not suited to someone who drives 25k milles a year regularly.

However, the best trade in value I could get was $17,5 and I have held out to get atleast $20k.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Trade-in value is a bad way to look at the deal. You need to evaluate it in terms of total costs. For example, you want $50K trade-in for your car? Buy this Honda Civic for $100K. Use Kelly Blue Book to determine market value for both trade-in and purchase and based on that negotiate a deal.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Trade-in value is a bad way to look at the deal. You need to evaluate it in terms of total costs. For example, you want $50K trade-in for your car? Buy this Honda Civic for $100K. Use Kelly Blue Book to determine market value for both trade-in and purchase and based on that negotiate a deal.
Been doing it, KBB, Carfax, Car Guru etc. Trade in is around $17k, history based car value for my Jaguar on Carfax is $22290, private party sale is a bit lower and so on. I will not sell for under $20k. I have time to find a buyer.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Been doing it, KBB, Carfax, Car Guru etc. Trade in is around $17k, history based car value for my Jaguar on Carfax is $22290, private party sale is a bit lower and so on. I will not sell for under $20k. I have time to find a buyer.
Unfortunately you are not in a good selling position. As you mentioned you have time to find a buyer but time is not on your side for price. I assume you have read posts on the difficulty in selling these cars so you may have a long wait . Another question from a perspective buyer would be the short ownership as no matter what you say they will be specious as to your motives for selling. You will be testing what the market will bare and depending where you are winter will also play into the sale. I wish you luck but I would take the first bite even if it were under $20K. You may have to swallow hard . Good luck.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I dunno, you’re looking at doing an epic trip, do you really want to do it in a pedestrian car?
Take the Jag to a good mechanic, have it thoroughly checked, maybe have some preventative work done (thermostat and housing, any coolant hoses showing age, new battery, change the fluids), and then clear your mind and go on that memorable trip.
Might be your last chance to do it, so why not do it in style?

The following 3 users liked this post by kj07xk:
ralphwg (01-02-2019), scm (01-02-2019), SinF (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Yes. selling it...most likely. I love the car. Its like an old married man (me) dumping his old reliable wife (the Nissan 370Z) for a hot beautiful woman The Jaguar) he barely knew.

What really happened is that I just fell in love and bought it without thinking it through. I had long term (before retirement plans) to some day visit every place I ever lived in the USA in the order I did. I was waiting for my son to become old enough (I was 54 when he was born). Until now, my responsibility was to take him to each morning to his high school, pick him up in the afternoon, take him to any extra curricular activities and so on. He is 16 and has a drivers permit now. I bought him a Honda Fit and he will soon not need my services. I will be free to attack my bucket list in the last decade of my life.

The plan is to drive this Spring from St. Louis to Edwardsville, IL to Riverside Ca, to Fresno, Ca to Dayton, OH to Ann Arbor, MI to Rapid City, SD, to Los Alamos, NM to Oneonta, NY and Back (places I have lived for 1+ years) and through scenic stopovers. Maybe a 45-day trip. I have been planning it for some time.

First, I am scared of driving the Jaguar all over the place (cost of fuel and maintenance). Second, on a similar cross country trip, my then car (a Honda Prelude) developed a problem near ELY, NV and I had to start walking (no cell phones then) by the highway till a man picked me up and dropped me in town. I had to find a tow truck, had the car towed into town, check into a motel. Next day, the repair shop said the parts department of the Honda dealership was closed and I had to wait overnight and got my car fixed. A Jaguar might take a few days longer and may cost a whole lot more if it breaks down.

I just think the Jaguar is a great city car simply not suited to someone who drives 25k milles a year regularly.

However, the best trade in value I could get was $17,5 and I have held out to get atleast $20k.
I have a 07 XK which me and the wife made a trip through Europe last summer, drove down to Vienna Austria, through Austria to France and up to The netherlands to see my cousins and then back home to Sweden. Car drove(3500km) like a dream and average fuel consumption was 0,86L/10km!:-)
But each to their own, if you expect it to break/fail it's not fun owning it.
Good luck with the sale.:-)

Queen and Country (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Unfortunately you are not in a good selling position. As you mentioned you have time to find a buyer but time is not on your side for price. I assume you have read posts on the difficulty in selling these cars so you may have a long wait .
Getting 20K is going to be quite the task. Unfortunately, everyone thinks their car is worth more than it is. Me included. 17.5K and you don't have to worry about lemon law if trade in and in my state the trade in value is knocked of the sales tax value of the next car. I wouldn't be so quick to dimiss the 17.5K and be done with it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I honestly would take the 17.5k. When you factor in sales tax on the next car, you're not far off. The car simply isn't going to bring 20k except to an extremely uneducated buyer. It's not that it's a bad car, it's that it suffers from compression in pricing from the 5.0 XK, 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XKR. They all are worth more and all are low priced.

If it were me car, I'd run the wheels off of it. That's what I'm doing with my 2000 XKR Convertible because even with new leather, excellent repaint, perfectly redone wheels, redone windshield, outstanding service history filling 3 2" binders, and not a single issue except it could use a new headliner due to a half inch moth hole, it has 108k and is worth maybe 8k to the right buyer. It's fun. I'm not going to find more fun for 8k. I've had a fun 40k so far, and I'm enjoying the ride and not worrying about the miles. Use it up and have stories!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Realize something important: and dont make an even bigger blunder.

Doing a cross-country trip in a XK vs 370z...
Is like comparing flying first class vs taking the Greyhound Bus.

If you were to actually do the 25k miles of x-country a year in a 370z at the age of 70, be prepared to spend $100k with a chiropractor and possibly hip replacement surgery.

I have done 40k miles a year and the most important factor is- comfort. Its a bargain to pay $3 a day more in fuel to save fatigue, and actually be able to enjoy the thing you want to do. In in a 370z you will pay way more for hotels and massage, as you will need them sooner. So its way more expensive in the toll it takes.

If you are at the end of your life and you want to make driving your last wish- invest in your dream. Dont invest like a teenager, you dont have the time nor the back. This car will work. Or trade for suv. Forget how much you will loose. Its so immaterial in your position.

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
mosesbotbol (01-02-2019), ralphwg (01-02-2019), Sean W (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Zahmed,

I feel sorry for you. Worrying about something that might never happen is a sad way to live the rest of your life. You said that you fell in love with the XK, so stop worrying and just do it! First reactions are usually spot-on.

Every mechanical and electrical device can fail unexpectedly, including brand new cars. There are no guarantees against breakdowns.

Follow kj07xk's advice in Post #54, above. You'll have the best time of your life!

And take off those silly suspenders. You don't need to wear them with a belt. Courage!

Stuart

ralphwg (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
you’re looking at doing an epic trip, do you really want to do it in a pedestrian car?
Its really a metaphor for life itself, isn't it.

Its an IQ test. Its a quintessential Jaguar owner test.

scm (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: '07 XK Coupe yes or no?