XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Restricted performance mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restricted performance mode

This just came on a few days ago , I have issues with my electrical so I never know if it's real or electrical , but I noticed the power seems sluggish , I had some stuff done to the care while I was in Florida recently , oh and ps if your car is in the humidity the dashboard starts to come undone .. that's a whole other story and the battery that dies after 4 days , for now I just charge it and it's fine or when the dash goes out I reboot the battery and it all back to normal . But the restricted performance icon now that worries me , any suggestions is it something that easy to fix ? Any suggestions , Thx

Last edited by GGG; 01-06-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Can you post a picture of the dash coming apart? I had my STR for about 7 years in very humid Houston and never had one problem?
Now if you have an XF THAT is a known problem so be sure and put your car details in your new thread.
Plus without codes we don't have any clues to what is going on?

Last edited by GGG; 01-06-2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Remove reference to starting a new thread
Old 12-29-2017, 01:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Candyrock
This just came on a few days ago .....
Welcome to the forum Candyrock,

I've moved your question and two replies to a new thread.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

This just came on a few days ago , I have issues with my electrical so I never know if it's real or electrical , but I noticed the power seems sluggish , I had some stuff done to the care while I was in Florida recently , oh and ps if your car is in the humidity the dashboard starts to come undone .. that's a whole other story and the battery that dies after 4 days , for now I just charge it and it's fine or when the dash goes out I reboot the battery and it all back to normal . But the restricted performance icon now that worries me , any suggestions is it something that easy to fix ? Any suggestions , Thx
you need to read the codes .

Old 12-31-2017, 04:05 AM

2010 XKR. I'm new in here and I'm writing this on my I phone , so it's a bit hard to see , if I get a chance I'll take a photo of the dashboard board , my car was in Vegas then to Florida , then when it arrived I went to Jaguar to get the AC fixed , soon after the dash bubbled up and came undone , I took the car back and they said they didn't go through that area to fix the AC , so I called Jaguar they were willing to pay for half , half of 4000 to fix it , I'm like hell no you should fixed the whole thing , I'm like it shouldn't have come undone ever , who cares if there is 75000 miles on it , anyway very disappointed , I take good care of this car and it looks almost new , but now it's devalued because of that dashboard ,and yes I do look at the codes and read the manual , but i see everyone talking about how to fix stuff on here, Thx

Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

OK that helps.

If you read here you can fix the leather dash several ways depending on the level of the problem.

Can you DIY any of the repairs?
Several people have pulled the dash and re-glued/stapled it back down. Others have had a shop replace the leather completely but at any rate it seems that adding staples around the edge is a big improvement over just glue alone.

You read the codes but what were they? Be sure and erase whatever comes up and let the car reset any codes. You want them to repeat to make sure they are real.

Last edited by GGG; 01-06-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Thread moved - remove references to moving
Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Default Engine light / restrictive performance light 2010 XKR 76,000 miles

P2601 is the code I got , could it also be the fuel filter that’s due for replacement also? Apparently it’s a inverter coolant pump .. . Is it easy to fix , could I do it my self

Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Did you fit a new battery??????

Old 01-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Candyrock,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Just a bit of housekeeping first: I have moved your previous thread from the forum for the X200/S-Type to the forum for the X150, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 2010 XKR. I have also moved your recent post from the forum for the X350/XJ to this thread so all your posts will be together so others can consider all the facts in one place.

Secondly, as Graham previously instructed, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Thirdly, please add to your signature line the year, model and engine details of your Jag so others do not have to scroll back through this thread in order to learn the vehicle to which your questions pertain.

Fourthly, please do not post questions related to this same issue in multiple threads or in forums other than this one for the X150.

Alright, with that out of the way, I don't have the 2010 XK Diagnostic Trouble Codes Summaries manual, but according to the latest Jaguar DTC Summaries I have, here is the listing for P2601:

This is refers to the coolant pump for the supercharger and has nothing to do with the fuel filter. It is part 6 in the diagram below.

If you are a confident and reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer, there's no reason you can't diagnose the issue, beginning with the electrical tests to rule out the relay, fuse and ground circuit, and if you determine the pump has failed, you can certainly replace it yourself. However, a significant amount of disassembly may be required for access. I believe there are several threads in the forum pertaining to this pump, so use the Advanced Search function in the drop down menu under the Search button above.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-06-2018 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Candyrock (01-07-2018), winstonsalemncxk (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Now this is in the correct forum, I've tidied up the thread to remove all references to starting a new one or moving it to X150 forum.

Graham

Don B (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ah, the Hell of moderation.

OP, get a battery first and foremost. Since you are here because we talk about fixing stuff, read as much of this subforum as you can. Go back 30-40 pages of threads reading each one. Subscribe to the relevant threads and follow up on each. This is what I did and it jump started my ability to repair the car myself. It worked.

As said above, get a new AGM battery. Everyone has had similar problems so replace it first. Then gather the relevant codes. The coolant pump is a mother to get to. Read Cambo's pulley upgrade thread. I don't think he's done the pump yet but the car is torn down far enough to deal with it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...50-xkr-194448/

Per the dash pulling, bad luck. Your headliner will fall down eventually too. There are many threads about dealing with both. Again, read and then ask questions. If you keep your build / repair questions in one thread it will help responder's understand the history of work done and you will get better, more relevant, answers.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Hi thanks , I have a funny car when I had it about 4 years the battery had died so I went to Jaguar and had it changed , soon after nothing but electrical issues , if the car sat more then 4 days the battery would die,then I would tow it to jag and they replaced the battery and it did it again , then they put on some device that was sopposed to read where the drain is coming from , they never could figured it out , well I have a system that I figured out and seems to work , if something electrical happens in the car like the control panel goes out or emergency brake almost anything , I just unplug the battery and reboot it , and it always fixes it , lol one time Jag wanted to charge me to fix something and I was like hell no I know ! they will do the same and reboot it and charge me 150 dollars , They tried to figure it out before and never did , anyway the control panel computer went out the other night and along with it the engine light , turned the car in in the morning and it was gone ? I'm thinking to get the codes checked tomorrow again just to see , I'm sure the engine filter is due to be change soon too , anyway I'll keep an eye on it , don't want to ruin my engine make things worse , but it could just be the computer / Battery like you said , sorry hard to type on this thing with a Iphone ,

Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Thumbs up Coolant pump ; burnt rubber smell now on right side .

So the check engine light went on right after I got a oil change then that icon restrictive performance went on and off too for a little while then now both are back on hmmm , the battery isn’t that old but thought maybe it’s the electrical again cuz its always something that comes on because of it , that had all started when jag changed my battery for the first time after buying my car new , I also just changed my two front tires last week ,I smell burnt rubber on front right tire , wtf is it the engine or the tires that are making that smell . Omg always some nonsence

Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Even though you bought a brand new battery from a Jaguar dealer, odds are that it wasn't fully charged when it was installed. Who knows how long it was sitting on the shelf, without being maintenance charged? If you drive only short distances, leave your XKR unlocked when garaged, leave your Smartkey in the car, or don't use a CTEK or similar battery maintainer, your battery is being discharged and may never reach a full charge. A low battery can cause a myriad of glitches. If you don't already have a battery maintainer, get a CTEK. See: www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/ctek-3300-battery-charger-installation-107738/

You need to better identify the source of that rubber smell: inside or outside the engine compartment? Do you hear anything rubbing or squealing ehen driving? It could be a belt, hose, or tire and the car might need to be up on a lift to find it.

Get the diagnostic codes yourself. Buy an inexpensive ELM327 Bluetooth code reader and use it with the Torque app. Then look up the codes on the internet and search this Forum. See: ://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/recommendations-obd-ii-readers-159541/

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb What did you say?

So the check engine light went on right after I got a oil change then that icon restrictive performance went on and off too for a little while then now both are back on hmmm , the battery isn’t that old but thought maybe it’s the electrical again cuz its always something that comes on because of it , that had all started when jag changed my battery for the first time after buying my car new , I also just changed my two front tires last week ,I smell burnt rubber on front right tire , wtf is it the engine or the tires that are making that smell . Omg always some nonsence
Do you proof read what you type? Rambling run on sentences make it difficult to follow the theme of your post and dang near impossible to help troubleshoot your problems. My suggestion, as I give my apprentices, is to always ask yourself the questions you are going to ask us (the forum) and try to answer them yourself or at least quantify the question with supporting evidence. We are more than willing to help given something to work off of.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
pwpacp (01-23-2018), ralphwg (01-21-2018), Stuart S (01-21-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

The supercharger/intercooler coolant pumps do fail - mine did. I was driving home from a forum meet last June and my car showed Restricted Performance and slowed down. I had the same code you have. The code flags up and trips the Restricted Performance mode once the intake air temps get above a certain level; when the pump fails it stops the flow of coolant round the charge coolers which cool the compressed air from the supercharger. Even if you drive for, say, half an hour but don't see the code and restricted performance warning, your charge coolers will be far too hot to touch.

It has its' own fuse, in the fuse box in the engine bay (on my 2008 4.2 car at least) it's F24 which is a 15A ATO type. I found mine was blown so I changed it first, it blew again almost immediately. Changed again, blew again, decided the pump was probably shot so changed that and no problem since.

Changing the pump is a PITA but can be done on the drive. Access is easier if you remove the bumper. The pump is behind the front crash member, pretty much mounted on the end tank of the radiator. Remove the fan cover under the front edge of the bonnet first. You'll need to drop the coolant to get it out. Once the coolant is out there are two hoses connected to the top of the radiator above the pump, you'll need to remove those. Next are two hoses connected to the lower side of the pump, access is from underneath. Next, an electrical cable from the top runs between some bits and pieces into a cavity behind where the pump is located. I had a job getting that free, you'll need to wiggle the cable at the pump end around while feeling up in there for where it connects and undo it there, pull it back through and then feed the new cable in. If I remember right, the sole bolt that secures the pump in place is accessed from the top.

EDIT to add - you'll probably need to remove the cold air feed pipe into the right-hand side air filter box to get access to the hose clamps underneath too.

Once that's out, everything goes back into place in reverse order pretty much. Get the service manual for the car from jagrepair.com, the procedure for changing the pump starts on page 1616 and the procedures for draining and refilling the coolant start on page 1516.

dcmackintosh (01-23-2018)