Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2007 XK Reverse lights (inner) Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2007-xk-reverse-lights-inner-help-219023/)

Flynnstone 06-11-2019 11:20 PM

2007 XK Reverse lights (inner) Help

As I have found there is only one reverse light on my 2007 XK convertible.
But ...
I'm trying to import my car into Canada or Alberta to be more specific.
It failed the out of province inspection!
My right (passenger) side reverse light is red. Its supposed to be white.
The unit is a "sealed" unit not a bulb.
And oddly both lights ( left & right) have the word "FOG" on the label!
So I've got myself a bit confused.
In Canada, with left hand drive, the right or passenger inside rear light is the reverse light, correct?
So, I should be able to just buy a replacement light for that side, correct?
Am I missing anything?

kj07xk 06-11-2019 11:53 PM

If the trunk/boot lid wiring loom supports both circuits to both sides (which would make sense from a manufacturing position), then yes, replace the lamp housing with the one you need.
So you currently have no lamps lit when you go into reverse, and you have both rear fogs active when you press the rear fog button?

Cee Jay 06-11-2019 11:57 PM

I would do the exact opposite of that if I had a 4.2; make them both reverse lights since I never in my life used any rear 'fog' lights.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2083700)
If the trunk/boot lid wiring loom supports both circuits to both sides (which would make sense from a manufacturing position), then yes, replace the lamp housing with the one you need.
So you currently have no lamps lit when you go into reverse, and you have both rear fogs active when you press the rear fog button?

The passenger side reverse lamp works in reverse , but its red, not white.

I don't think it supports both circuits to both side.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2083703)
I would do the exact opposite of that if I had a 4.2; make them both reverse lights since I never in my life used any rear 'fog' lights.

I don't think having both as reverse lights is a simple thing. Could do it with splicing.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 12:25 AM

Can I get you to confirm that your cars, that the reverse light is white and the fog is red?

forrestgk 06-12-2019 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Flynnstone (Post 2083711)
Can I get you to confirm that your cars, that the reverse light is white and the fog is red?

Yes, you are correct. My XK is right rear white reverse lamp. Left is red fog.
Replacement from the right rear from an LH drive car should be white. Since your circuit appears correctly wired for right reverse lamp, it will work fine if replaced with one from a LH drive car.
Strange yours has two red - Maybe someone replaced it with UK version not knowing this in the past.

peterv8 06-12-2019 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Flynnstone (Post 2083711)

YES!:-)

kj07xk 06-12-2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flynnstone (Post 2083709)
The passenger side reverse lamp works in reverse , but its red, not white.

Ah, ok. Then you just need the right hand inner lamp from a LHD car (‘07 - ‘09).
You can find them on ebay and from auto salvage dealers.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 09:00 AM

It appears the part number , for what I have, is C2P3564.
A google of this, show that it is a Fog light for a Right Hand drive.
Anyone know what the part number is for a reverse light for a Left hand drive?

Ranchero50 06-12-2019 09:01 AM

You'll need one from a UK car, not the US spec. UK does the same thing, only opposite sides. So get the UK reverse light and replace your red unit with that one. Should be plug and play since your red lamp lights in reverse. Normally it only lights when you hit the rear fog lamp button (by the fuel door release).

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2083871)
You'll need one from a UK car, not the US spec. UK does the same thing, only opposite sides. So get the UK reverse light and replace your red unit with that one. Should be plug and play since your red lamp lights in reverse. Normally it only lights when you hit the rear fog lamp button (by the fuel door release).

It appears I have one from a UK car. I need one from a US or LHD. I need the white one.

sov211 06-12-2019 12:34 PM

Hold on a minute...did the car fail the Alberta inspection because it had only one reverse lamp? If so, go back to the inspection people and inform them (with the owner's manual in your hand for proof) that this car correctly, properly, and adequately has just ONE reverse lamp and that the other unit is, correctly, properly and adequately a rear fog guard. There is no requirement that a Canadian-market car must have two reverse lamps. If that were so, Jaguar would have provided the car for this market with two reverse lamps. The cars were sold new in every province of Canada equipped as yours is equipped. You need do NOTHING about its current configuration. And yes, I have owned a 2007 XK (great car!)

110reef 06-12-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2083947)
Hold on a minute...did the car fail the Alberta inspection because it had only one reverse lamp? If so, go back to the inspection people and inform them (with the owner's manual in your hand for proof) that this car correctly, properly, and adequately has just ONE reverse lamp and that the other unit is, correctly, properly and adequately a rear fog guard. There is no requirement that a Canadian-market car must have two reverse lamps. If that were so, Jaguar would have provided the car for this market with two reverse lamps. The cars were sold new in every province of Canada equipped as yours is equipped. You need do NOTHING about its current configuration. And yes, I have owned a 2007 XK (great car!)

I believe his problem is that the reverse light is red, not white.

Ranchero50 06-12-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flynnstone (Post 2083872)
It appears I have one from a UK car. I need one from a US or LHD. I need the white one.

That's weird.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 110reef (Post 2083955)
I believe his problem is that the reverse light is red, not white.

Correct.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2084015)
That's weird.

Yup.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 03:27 PM

I’ve order the correct one from the local jag dealer. Not cheap, but I’m in a tight time line to get car approved.

kj07xk 06-12-2019 05:52 PM

Wow, ebay only has new ones, around $250. Used to seeing used ones on there for much less.

Flynnstone 06-12-2019 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2084102)
Wow, ebay only has new ones, around $250. Used to seeing used ones on there for much less.

They all appear to be left inners. Not the prized right inner. ☹️