XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XKR ASL Orange Won't Go Away

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 XKR ASL Orange Won't Go Away

Hi all, I just bought this car and mechanically and exterior is pretty nice but I was just wondering about this ASL light on my dash. It's orange, I know what it does, but should it always be up? As soon as I turn on the car it pops up and stays on. Of course cruise don't work while that's on so it's getting annoying.

Also, the previous owner must of lived in this damn thing, while it's nice, its also filthy inside. I was going to pull all of the interior out deep clean it and put it back together. Seats, console, everything but the dash. You think it's a good idea? How would you go about this? I was thinking air hose cleaning and then roll up the sleeves and hard clean.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 AM

bah put this in the wrong forum, could someone please move it to XKR Forum? Thanks!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Welcome to the forum dagarair,

I've moved your question from X300 to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Pressing the black ASL button on the console doesn't extinguish it?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Nope

Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Could it be related to the speed settings established in the NAV screen? This is assuming your car has the touchscreen.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM

I'll check the nav settings. Is that really an option? If so do you know how its reset?

Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The ASL has nothing to do with the touchscreen. It is controlled by the black button on the console. When you push the button to activate the system a GREEN ASL (not amber) light illuminates in the bottom right hand corner of the speedometer. When you push the button again you cancel the ASL and the light goes out. There is no other warning light for the Automatic Speed Limiter.
If you have an amber light on, that is for a different system - the Forward Alert system, for example - that warning light is also in the bottom of the speedometer on the right side, but not the extreme right. The button for this system is on the front of the dash pad, down low, to the left of the steering wheel - where the fuel door button is. OR if your car has the optional Adaptive Cruise Control System - which keeps your car at a set djstance from the car in front - there is an amber light just below and to the right of the speedometer needle pivot. The other amber lights are for rear fog lamps, air bag, engine malfunction and active front lighting if your car has this. But the ASL lamp is GREEN.
So which lamp is on?

Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 PM

sov221 thanks so much for that lesson. its this then:
Adaptive Cruise Control System - which keeps your car at a set distance from the car in front - there is an amber light just below and to the right of the speedometer needle pivot

It is amber and don't go away ever. Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Well, , the Adaptive Cruise Control is activated by the wheel on the steering wheel, right side.. If the light is on it means the ACC is active. It is supposed to clear when the ignition is turned off. Assuming that you do not inadvertently move the cruise control wheel, then there is a malfunction. But try simply pushing the CANCEL button on the steering wheel beneath the cruise controls.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Sorry to sound dumb, but: what is the actual icon that's lit up?:

ACC: converging dotted lines with a car icon and a double-headed arrow
Forward Alert: a triangle with a car icon in it

Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM

It says ASL on it. Here is a picture

Old 03-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

OK, that's definitely the Automatic Speed Limiter. It looks like the earlier cars used amber rather than green (the user's manual I have is for the 09MY).

Here's what the workshop manual says:

The ASL is controlled by the ECM. An ASL switch is located in the floor console, adjacent to the gear selector lever. When the ASL switch is pressed, this is sensed by the ECM which issues a high speed CAN message to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster illuminates the ASL warning indicator in an amber color to show the driver that ASL is active. The driver sets the required speed using the speed control SET +/- switches on the steering wheel. The selected speed is shown by the message 'LIMITER SET XXX MPH / K/MH' in the message center. The indicator is illuminated in an amber color for a 3 second indicator check when the ignition is switched on.

ASL can be deselected by pressing the ASL switch, by depressing the throttle pedal initiating kick- down or by pressing the 'cancel' switch on the steering wheel. The ASL indicator will go off and the message center will display the message 'limiter cancelled' for 4 seconds.

If a fault occurs in the ASL system, the ECM will send a message to the instrument cluster to illuminate the ASL indicator and display the message 'LIMITER NOT AVAILABLE'.
It's possible the ASL switch might be faulty and keeping ASL active. However, there's no "LIMITER SET" message in your message centre - perhaps that's because no limit has been set. Try rolling the 'Set +/-' switch on the steering wheel and see if the "LIMITER SET" message appears; that would confirm that ASL is actually active, and it's not just a faulty indicator.

If you do get the "LIMITER SET" message, try pressing the 'Cancel' button on the wheel. If the message goes away but the indicator stays lit, I'd definitely start suspecting the ASL switch.

The following users liked this post:
dagarair (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Ok it must be the switch. I can set the limit actually but I can never clear ASL. It stays on. I tried it on the road today set it to 80, got to 80 then started to drop it by 5 and the car responded. So I am assuming it works but the switch is stuck or something.

Thanks so much!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dagarair
Hi all, I just bought this car and mechanically and exterior is pretty nice but I was just wondering about this ASL light on my dash. It's orange, I know what it does, but should it always be up? As soon as I turn on the car it pops up and stays on. Of course cruise don't work while that's on so it's getting annoying.

Also, the previous owner must of lived in this damn thing, while it's nice, its also filthy inside. I was going to pull all of the interior out deep clean it and put it back together. Seats, console, everything but the dash. You think it's a good idea? How would you go about this? I was thinking air hose cleaning and then roll up the sleeves and hard clean.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
This is the automatic speed limiter in newer Jaguars. It is a feature used by the driver to prevent exceeding a set speed. Once the feature is turned on using the ASL button, the actual speed at which the feature will limit you and prevent any further acceleration is set using the cruise control rockers.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...odd. My 07 Owner's Manual (Canadian model) says this in the section on the ASL (p.180): "When ASL is selected, the instrument panel telltale status light will illuminate."and further "If ASL is not available due to a fault, the message centre will display an appropriate message along with an AMBER warning light."
- BUT on p. 18 ("Quick Start") it gives the ASL icon and says: "Automatic Speed Limiter [ASL] active (Green)" and on p.115 under "INSTRUMENTS" it gives the icon again and says: "Automatic speed limiter (Green): illuminates when automatic speed limiter is active."
Now, perhaps GREEN indicates that all is well with the system and AMBER indicates that there is a problem, OR at some point Jaguar obviously decided that the icon light should be a warning in amber, not a running system indicator in green (as the lighting system icons are, for example) - but they neglected to do a correct proofreading of the (probably already prepared) manual! The light will obviously be amber unless the car is running at a speed of at least 30 kmph (18 mph) - at which point the light should be green.

In any case, a cancelling of the system using the cancel button *should* extinguish the light; if this does not work, and if the light does not go to green when the ASL is set above 18 MPH, then there is some defect...but given the description of the car in question it sounds as though it has been poorly treated if not abused. It might take a bit of TLC to bring it back to proper condition.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I see a few other hints in the service manual. ASL can be amber if it is set, and you are driving 15mph over the set limit. I note that a chime should sound as well.

In case of an ASL error, the indicator will be amber and the message center should display "Limiter Not Available".

Vince

Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Again, ASL Works, well appears to work because I can set limit and feel when I go over it BUT I can't disable it. Also it says something to the effect of cruise control not available. Makes sence since everything I have read is that while ASL is active, Cruise will not work. I think the button? What do you all think?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

The button - quite possibly. These cars have so few faults that something like this is very strange. Now, given what you have said about the interior of the car I am wondering if there might have been some liquid spilled on the console (which might have seeped down into the switch)...any sign of that? the only true check is to remove the walnut console finisher (it pulls straight up; there are several clips that hold it in place at the edges). That will allow you to remove the switch to check but it also may reveal sticky dirtydown there which is proof enough of coffee or a Coke or...having been spilled (not uncommon)....
Clearly the ASL is engaged and cannot be turned off - and that could indeed be down to a dirty or malfunctioning switch.

The following users liked this post:
sony2000 (01-13-2024)
Old 03-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Be careful levering the console trim up; preferably, use something broad & plastic to avoid damaging the edge of the trim or the rest of the console. Start at the rear - once you've raised the back far enough, you'll be able to inspect the switch. I'd suggest you just disconnect the electrical connector from the switch, tip the trim back down enough so you can access the Start button, and see if the ASL light stays out when you power the car up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 XKR ASL Orange Won't Go Away