XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XKR - Fuel Pump / Fuel Tank Problems

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2007 XKR - Fuel Pump / Fuel Tank Problems

Hey guys,

I’m hoping someone out there can help me out with what I have been told is a fuel pump / fuel tank issue. My car has from time to time over the past few months has lost power for a few seconds with dropping the accelerator having no effect. It still drove but with very limited power and then eventually the power coming back to normal again.

Last week this problem started again but ended up chugging to a sudden and complete stop. The engine would only start briefly, heavily chug for a couple of seconds and then die again. I brought it to a Jag garage and they told me the fuel pump needed replacing. After replacing the 1 and only fuel pump (I am told there is only 1) they found the problem was still not fixed and they are now saying it’s a problem with an element within the tank itself and they need to replace the entire tank (USD2,200). They are saying the tank is sealed and there is no way to fix the issue without replacing the tank.

Has anyone come across this issue or know if this sounds right to you.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Kev,

This "Jag Garage" you took the car to, is it a dealer service operation?

How many miles on your car and has the fuel filter ever been changed?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tarheal,

It is an authorised Jag service centre that is part of a dealership. I just don’t trust them to actually fix anything, rather replace complete parts unnecessarily.

Miles - approx 45,000 and not sure if the the fuel filter was replaced to date, will have to check.

Kev

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Kev,

Just for grins, why not replace the fuel filter before dropping that fuel tank.

Beyond that I have no insight on the car or the service situation in UAE. One presumes there is some sort of screen on the input to the fuel pump and that the serv tech knows what he's talking about.

Perhaps we can get a knowledge someone else to tune in. For sure, if they can't fix it after dropping the tank you should get some money back. Yeah right!

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 04-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2009 XK until recently and I remember a recall about a year or so ago for a software update related to the fuel pump cutting out after travelling a short distance

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe there was a TSB for that issue...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

First off, I have never heard of an "element" inside your tank. It should be just a tank like all other cars.
From the documentation I have, there looks to be three openings, two of which are vents located to the rear of the tank (which would feed a charcoal canister or "evap" system). Fuel starvation can occur if these vents are plugged, or the tubing to the canister kinked. Easy to test as you will hear suction into the tank when you loosen the fuel filler cap.

The fuel pump, fuel level sender, and fuel pick-up tube are mounted as a single removable assembly located on top the tank itself.

I'm not comfortable with their diagnosis from what I know of cars...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-17-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Kev,

Don't fail to let us know how this turns out. It's very interesting.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Same here

Hi Kevin, hi all,

I know this thread is about 5 years old but I'm having the very same issue on on almost the model (XK 2007) in the same country...

The engine in my XK 2007 stopped while driving. Computer said it was the fuel pressure so the garage changed the fuel pump ($850). 2 weeks later same issue while on the road, after investigation they said that the pipe that connects both sides of the saddle tank is broken so car runs out of fuel when the tank is only half-full... As this is within the tank itself and the part is not sold alone, the whole fuel tank has to be replaced. $2700 to be spent on a 10 years old car which I'm not sure I'm ready to spend despite my love for this car.

Does this sound about right? Also curious to know how Kevin proceeded if he's still around.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Anything can be done if a person is at least semi-capable and has some good tools. Remove tank(s), cut them open, fix tank(s), weld closed, install tank(s).
I don't know the specifics (OR generalities) of X150 fuel tanks, but pretty much it's a vessel and vessels can be fixed.

The following users liked this post:
jbadet (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks Cee Jay. The specifics lie with part 14 of the tank which brings the fuel from the other side of the saddle tank to the pump. They say it can't be accessed and can't be ordered as spare. Not sure about the $2700 cost for the replacement of the whole tank...

Old 11-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Probably a plastic tank also and not steel or aluminum.
Me, I'd cut that sucker open and dig around until I found the problem, then fix it and glue-weld-epoxy it back together. Even if I mucked it up or (unlikely) it WASN'T fixable by-hook-or-by-crook, it's not any worse (other than a big hole in it) than it was.
Regardless, now I know a lot more about the X150 fuel tank, so I thank you for enlightening me about that.
I have NO clue about the current value of a 2007 XK in Dubai, what is the Repair-Cost to Car Value ratio???
Sell it as it is, then buy a newer one?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM

The tank is all steel actually, looks like 2 shells sealed together. It would need to be cut open at the right place for the issue to be investigated, then welded back if/when fixed. I believe the garage is not comfortable going for unorthodox repairs, and I don't have the right tools with me in the country. I'm still puzzled by the fact that a single faulty pipe (assuming that's the issue!) means changing the whole tank.

The car is worth about $15k here, so still not sure about the $3k repair for a 10 yrs old beauty. Heartbreaking really...

Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Mustangs have a similar setup. The right side has the electrical pump and there's a venturi 'pump' on the left side. It uses pressurized fuel through a venturi to suck the fuel out of the left side and deposit it on the right side. It's kind of dumb because if the venturi (pump) breaks, you're stuck running out of fuel at somewhere less than 1/2 tank. refer the X150 Service Manual start at page 2380 for their description.

#8 (pink) is the pressurized line from the electrical pump
#1 (yellow) is the transfer line heading from the left to right side that transfers the fuel
#7 (green) is the return from the engine. So any unused fuel goes to the left side first and is then transferred to the right.
#4 (blue) is the pump itself.

OP should be OK if he keeps the tank over 1/2 full. Tank is metal and I'd at least have them pull the pump back out and have a look at the far side with a scope or mirror. PITA because the exhaust, prop shaft and heat shield need dropped to access the tank.

Last edited by Ranchero50; 11-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
jbadet (11-11-2017), Patrick Wong (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:24 PM

According to the garage, it's #1 above (yellow - transfer line) that's faulty but can't be replaced alone. I did see the dismantled tank and had a look with a mirror through the main hatch, but there isn't much to see since the narrow part of the saddle obstructs the view to the other side. Garage had indeed removed the exhaust and prop shaft for that so it looks like they seriously investigated it.

Shame that this lame pipe can't be changed alone, it might as well be only disconnected on the other side but that's impossible to tell.

Because of that small plastic hose I have 3 options:
1. let the car go / sell it with the issue
2. accept the idea of driving with no less than the tank half-fuel and a spare container in the boot just in case
3. Re-invest 1/5 of the car value waiting for the next repair

Ask the audience?

Old 11-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.ebay.com/i/282442006960?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Maybe reach out the Pacific and see what killed the car this tank came from. Might be able to get it cleaned, purged, packed and shipped for less than you'd think. It's a gamble for how long it would work but it's also a gamble I'd take first if your shop isn't comfortable opening up the tank.

https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...omponents-scat

JLM21903 Looks like the tank is Xk specific which is a bummer.

Personally I would not condemn the car because the fuel tank had a line or venturi pump fail. Lots of work around's. Shouldn't be a huge deal opening the top and welding it back shut. I've done it a bunch of times. You just need to fill the tank with water and have the weld repair at the very top. Fuel doesn't burn, the vapor does. The bummer is getting it apart and finding what broke isn't replaceable and needs fabricated. Still, not all is lost unless you lose hope. This beautiful car is well worth the time and effort to keep on the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
jbadet (11-12-2017), Patrick Wong (11-12-2017), ralphwg (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I find it interesting that JLR shows all of the individual parts that make up the fuel tank and then sells only the complete unit and not the parts. Somehow that doesn't make sense to me. Please explain why the drawing is shown this way.

jbadet (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I find it interesting that JLR shows all of the individual parts that make up the fuel tank and then sells only the complete unit and not the parts. Somehow that doesn't make sense to me. Please explain why the drawing is shown this way.
The left side parts are mounted inside the bottom of the tank before the top and bottom halves are welded together. Look at the pictures on the Pacific eBay listing.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jbadet

Because of that small plastic hose I have 3 options:
1. let the car go / sell it with the issue
2. accept the idea of driving with no less than the tank half-fuel and a spare container in the boot just in case
3. Re-invest 1/5 of the car value waiting for the next repair
So what is wrong with #2? That is an excellent workaround which allows you time to explore a more permanent solution, or decide you can live with an eight US gallon fuel tank capacity.

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 11-12-2017 at 06:28 AM.
jbadet (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

160 mile fuel reserve in the desert may not be optimal. I also don't think I would want a sealed fuel container in the back of the car on a 120 + degree day. Just too much bad potential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 XKR - Fuel Pump / Fuel Tank Problems