XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Shipping Companies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Shipping Companies?

Howdy folks...

...looking into shipping companies, have any of you had a car shipped? If you did, what was the name of the company you used and how was the service?

I think I've found myself an XKR, but I need to get it to Seattle.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Rahtok,

You are now in the Twilight Zone, blindfolded and walking through a minefield! You are surrounded by traps for the unwary, and horror stories abound:
Buying a used car online. - Clark Howard's Message Boards - Get Help & Advice Here=

If you found this XKR on the internet and the seller is not an authorized new car dealer, BEWARE of scammers! Don't put down a deposit until after you see the car in person, review the title, and have it inspected by a mechanic (preferably a Jaguar dealer) of your chosing (with a detailed written report). Don't rely on a so-called "clean" CarFax - get a Jag dealer to inspect it and print the service history.

If the car meets your expectations and you now want to buy it and have it shipped to Seattle, I suggest you talk to your local Seattle Jag dealers and ask them to refer an auto transporter (carrier). Note that many auto transport companies on the internet are brokers, and not actual carriers, and they will "shotgun" your request over their network to get quotes from carriers (of various reputation), which they will then submit to you.

Educate yourself. See this website:
Understanding Car Shipping - Car Shipping tips & What you need to know about auto car moving @ Mover MAX : FREE auto shipping move quotes

Search for "auto transporter from ___ to Seattle"

Good Luck, and keep us informed of your progress.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cadillac (09-20-2011), shelmark (02-02-2012)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Intercity and Passport (FedEx) to ship my Porsche on two separate occasions. I had such a good experience with Intercity (California to Missouri) I wanted to use them for a North to South shipping, but they could not give me a shipping window smaller than 3 weeks! Apparently they do much more coast-to-coast shipping and a Missouri to Texas would have had to be very indirect. Passport was also excellent.
When I bought my Jaguar in Chicago and needed it shipped to Texas, the dealer arranged for an independent driver. Good job was done but delayed as the driver developed a kidney stone as soon as he picked up my car.
My key suggestion, beyond the advice above regarding buying a car remotely, is to insist on a covered/ closed shipping method.

The following 2 users liked this post by doctock993:
Rahtok (09-21-2011), shelmark (02-02-2012)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks all for the advice so far. The car is on a genuinely big used car lot in San Antonio. They've sent it to the local Jag dealer for a diagnostic and some sort of power steering hose recall campaign. It's still got 2 years on its factory warranty, and at 2.8k miles I'm feeling pretty comfy about that.

I've got enclosed quotes from a couple of different companies, but it looks to be right around 1900 to go from San Antonio to Seattle. I'm awaiting the results and a physical copy of the paperwork from the Jag service department prior to signing paperwork on the car itself.

I think I'm covering my bases here, but would still appreciate any input if any of you think I'm overlooking anything.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

A number of years ago I used DeMoise Trk-Ing to move a Lexus LX470 and a Saab 9-3 from New York to California and couldn't have been happier with the service. DeMoise Trk-ing, Inc. - Home