Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2008 XK convertible top issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2008-xk-convertible-top-issue-64066/)

Stillwaters 11-27-2011 03:27 PM

2008 XK convertible top issue

Okay,
So I just finished conducting an amp check on the battery of my 08 XK (I was looking for parasitical drain). I put away my amp meter and after reconnecting the ground cable, I decided to make sure all the systems were okay. Everything checked out (radio, AC, wipers, nav, etc), until I decided to open the convertible top.
The top popped open, pulled back about a foot from the windshield and stopped dead. It refused to open any further, nor (of course) would it close. I broke out the owner's manual, and carefully following the directions, I went through the whole painful process of manually opening the top (geez, whoever designed this goat rope should be boiled in 10W-40) .
Well, I got the top all the way open and then discovered the door that closes over the closed top would not latch. I pushed and pushed to no avail.
So, once again, carefully following the directions, I went through the process to manually CLOSE the top. I finally got the top closed and using the supplied Allen key firmly latched the top to the windshield frame. Of course the rear quarter windows are still open (since there is no button to close them).
Now I can't reopen the top (won't work at all) and the message center says the top is not latched (even though I know it is).
I have about a month left on the warranty, so the car is going to the dealer this week. Geez, maybe I really SHOULD buy one of those extended warrantees.
Anyway, anybody else run into this "little" problem?:mad:

Stillwaters 11-30-2011 04:58 PM

Update

Got the car back yesterday. Service writer says the roof was electronically "reset" and that now the top was functioning normally. I tested the work by lowering and raising the roof myself. Did seem to function w/o problem.

I asked the service writer how I can "reset" the roof myself in the event the roof stalls again. The writer said he did not know the answer to that question, but that he does know it takes about "an hour" for the mechanics to "reset" the roof. He added that if the process is not in the owner's manual, then it is not for the owner to do and further added that it is possible the mechanics have to actually "hook the car to the computer" to reset the top.

Hmmm, seems a bit vague to me. Anybody here know how the "reset" the top on the newer XKs? This car will be out of warranty soon and I would hate to have to pay to "reset" a stalled convertible top..:confused:

Del Boy 11-30-2011 10:11 PM

The reset procedure is covered in the manual (page 148-150 in the version I have):

Jaguar USA - OWNERS MANUALS

Stuart S 11-30-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Del Boy (Post 434976)
The reset procedure is covered in the manual (page 148-150 in the version I have):

Jaguar USA - OWNERS MANUALS

I clicked on the above link but couldn't find the manuals.

Try this link instead:

TOPIx - TOPIx

or this one:

TOPIx - TOPIx

and follow the prompts.

-