Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Backup Lights

I have a 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible.

When putting the car in Reverse, I have been told that only one backup light goes on, the right side.

I vaguely remember reading that on this model, only 1 rear back up light turns on.

I cannot find this information in my owners manual starting at page 60 Section "Lighting"

Can anyone verify that only the 1 rear back-up lamp lights up on the right side.

Stuart S, perhaps you might know the answer to this question since we have the same vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Richzak - There is only one backup light on the 06-09 North American XK. When the 10s were introduced Jaguar changed to two backup light for NA. I used to get the same comment when I had my 2008.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Richzak - There is only one backup light on the 06-09 North American XK. When the 10s were introduced Jaguar changed to two backup light for NA. I used to get the same comment when I had my 2008.
Thanks for the reply. I had thought only one went on, but then I wasn't sure where I had originally read the info.

Thanks for the confirmation Ralph.

Greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Our cousins, across the pond, have the opposite setup, backup light on the left and rear fog on the right. The rule appears to be, if you are going to have a single rear fog light, it should be on the driver's side of the car. With the Jaguar design of filling in the opposite side with a backup light, we get a single backup light on the passenger side.
Had this 'annoyance' on my '07 XK, until this past Nov., when I replaced my tail lights with the newer LED ones from the later model XK/XKR. No more comments to be heard!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

It's very easy to replace left rear 'fog' light with a UK right backup light (used?) and splice into the hatch wiring................. no more parking lot comments and more backup light! makes the cat purr!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

[QUOTE=richzak;1374534 ... I cannot find this information in my owners manual starting at page 60 Section "Lighting" ... Stuart S, perhaps you might know the answer to this question since we have the same vehicles. ... [/QUOTE]

Hi Richard,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I haven't checked the Forum until now. The replies you already received from ralphwg, kj07xj, and brittania are all correct. All 4.2L X150 models were equipped with 1 backup light and 1 fog light. That changed with the 5.0L models with LED taillights; they have 2 backup lights.

As kj07xkk pointed out, the fog light is on the driver's side; right rear on RHD cars and left rear on LHD cars. But why? The reason is because you're more visible to drivers behind you when that fog light is nearest the center line of the roadway. Also, since that rear fog light is as bright as a brake light, it's less likely that a driver behind you will confuse a single bright tail light with your brake lights. European drivers are more tuned into this feature than we are because I think that's the law on the other side of the pond.

If you must have 2 backup lights, go to ebay.co.uk and search for a used inner right rear tail light for a 4.2L XK/XKR and then replace your existing OEM inner right tail light with the European one. You'll have to run a jumper wire from the OEM left side backup light to power the new one on the right side and get it to work because the existing wiring harness does not include wiring for a backup light. Or you can replace the original tail lights with the new LED design tail lights that have 2 backup lights, but that's not as easy to do and is much more expensive. A discussion of that conversion is beyond the scope of this thread, but anyone who's interested can search and find lots of threads on how to do it.

Richard, you're right - there's nothing in the Owner's Handbook about backup lights. Rear fog lights are discussed on page 63 of the 2009 Owner's Handbook. Here's the online link: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...6&groupId=1655

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
richzak (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Hi Richard,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I haven't checked the Forum until now. The replies you already received from ralphwg, kj07xj, and brittania are all correct. All 4.2L X150 models were equipped with 1 backup light and 1 fog light. That changed with the 5.0L models with LED taillights; they have 2 backup lights.

As kj07xkk pointed out, the fog light is on the driver's side; right rear on RHD cars and left rear on LHD cars. But why? The reason is because you're more visible to drivers behind you when that fog light is nearest the center line of the roadway. Also, since that rear fog light is as bright as a brake light, it's less likely that a driver behind you will confuse a single bright tail light with your brake lights. European drivers are more tuned into this feature than we are because I think that's the law on the other side of the pond.

If you must have 2 backup lights, go to ebay.co.uk and search for a used inner right rear tail light for a 4.2L XK/XKR and then replace your existing OEM inner right tail light with the European one. You'll have to run a jumper wire from the OEM left side backup light to power the new one on the right side and get it to work because the existing wiring harness does not include wiring for a backup light. Or you can replace the original tail lights with the new LED design tail lights that have 2 backup lights, but that's not as easy to do and is much more expensive. A discussion of that conversion is beyond the scope of this thread, but anyone who's interested can search and find lots of threads on how to do it.

Richard, you're right - there's nothing in the Owner's Handbook about backup lights. Rear fog lights are discussed on page 63 of the 2009 Owner's Handbook. Here's the online link: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...6&groupId=1655

Stuart
Stuart S:

I am keeping the XKR just as is. No changes. I am being approached many times from people who see the XKR, love it, but always tell me, you have a light burned out!

Love this car. Up to 17,400 miles. Still looks like new. It is such a luxury and powerful ride.