Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! About to purchase 2010 XK, service records have me worried

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! About to purchase 2010 XK, service records have me worried

Hi everyone,

As my post states, I'm about to purchase a 2010 XK Coupe with just under 30K miles on the odometer. The dealer I'm buying it from just sent me over the "major" repair bill he had (car was always serviced at the Jag dealer), and I am a little worried on the amount of work done. By the looks of things they did the Water pump, Front & Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe Links, Sway bar link ends, etc. Bill ended up being just shy of $7K. I linked the bill below. Are these common issues for these cars @ 25K miles? Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm supposed to send the $ for the car tomorrow!!!

I'm really excited to become a Jag owner!

Link to repair bill:

repair bill

Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

A quick search would provide more answers for you, but to answer your question, YES these are normal components that need to be addressed because of bad design on first generation water pumps and due to age of anything rubber on the suspension... So I would say this 2010 is in better shape than most because these items have been done already... Buy it and enjoy it if all other things check out... IMO

The following users liked this post:
buffaloJag (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding! Yeah, I saw pretty fast that the water pump was a common issue - the suspension components are really what worried me. It looks like it was all covered by a 3rd party "Easy Care" warranty. I may be wrong, however I would imagine that the Jag dealer gets paid direct by them, and I would assume would replace anything they could "get away" with.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by buffaloJag
Thank you for responding! Yeah, I saw pretty fast that the water pump was a common issue - the suspension components are really what worried me. It looks like it was all covered by a 3rd party "Easy Care" warranty. I may be wrong, however I would imagine that the Jag dealer gets paid direct by them, and I would assume would replace anything they could "get away" with.
I think you are correct... I would have loved for those items to be replaced when I bought my 2010 last year, My water pump was replaced but not the suspension parts. I have started replacing some of those suspension parts as I get the time... Another item that you may have to address is the AC drain "Duckbill" then vin # on your potential buy is later than mine but I can't remember what the cut-off is on the older duckbill, that the early 2010's still got... But even that can be addressed by a dealer for a cost or if your inclined DIY with a little perseverance...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 11-29-2018 at 04:29 PM.
buffaloJag (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto pretty much everything TT said. The rubber dust covers on the tie rods etc. were cast from a really poor rubberish material that breaks down over time (not mileage) and allows dirt to get into the teflon joints. It'll wear them out faster than expected.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone,

As my post states, I'm about to purchase a 2010 XK Coupe with just under 30K miles on the odometer. The dealer I'm buying it from just sent me over the "major" repair bill he had (car was always serviced at the Jag dealer), and I am a little worried on the amount of work done. By the looks of things they did the Water pump, Front & Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe Links, Sway bar link ends, etc. Bill ended up being just shy of $7K. I linked the bill below. Are these common issues for these cars @ 25K miles? Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm supposed to send the $ for the car tomorrow!!!

I'm really excited to become a Jag owner!

Link to repair bill:

repair bill

Don't buy it without a warranty. More things will break with age.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I just purchased my XKR two weeks ago. My history was the same plus a couple of batteries. Last owner didn’t keep it on a trickle charger. Buy a extended warranty and sleep at night. Trust me you won’t regret it

Old 11-29-2018, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Meh. I've gotten Free extended warranties when I've bought different cars. Never used a one of 'em.

If a person goes into a situation Expecting to need insurance, is it really a situation to get INTO in the first place???

Old 11-30-2018, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

How do I get into the warranty business, there seems to be lots of folks buying them.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

..... Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? .....
Welcome to the forum buffaloJag,

The bills show a careful owner who has had necessary maintenance and repairs done. It adds up to a significant amount of money but there's nothing out of the ordinary in the work listed. I'd be happy rather than concerned with that kind of provenance.

That being said, buying a used Jaguar is a lottery. If you can and will do your own repairs then don't worry. If you intend to use a dealer or an independent for maintenance and repairs - get a warranty.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

MarkyUK (11-30-2018)