XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2012 xk with 22,000 miles

 
  #1  
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 xk with 22,000 miles

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm going to look at a 2012 xk with 22,000 miles on it. What are some important things to look for and Important questions to ask?
 
  #2  
Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Stuart S's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 5,262
Received 2,215 Likes on 1,439 Posts
Default

Rule #1: BUYER BEWARE! Never trust the seller (unless it's a CPO from a Jaguar dealer) or rely on CarFax.

You are responsible for doing your own due diligence. You're looking at a 5.0L XK, and the water pump is a known defect. If it hasn't already been replaced, pay attention to any coolant smell as pump failure happens fast and can cause catastrophic engine damage. Has the battery been replaced recently? Get all the service records and see how it drives. Visually inspect everything. If it passes your eyeball test, I recommend that you pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection using the CPO checklist, including estimates of needed repairs. There are lots of threads on this Forum about what to look for when buying a used XK. Good luck with your search!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dilema-213016/
 

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-23-2019 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-23-2019)
  #3  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 37
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stuart S View Post
You're looking at a 5.0L XK, and the water pump is a known defect. If it hasn't already been replaced, pay attention to any coolant smell as pump failure happens fast and can cause catastrophic engine damage.
Just so I know, is this also something to watch for in the 5.0L XKR's? I would assume so, but just not sure if there is a different coolant setup for the supercharged version vs standard 5.0L?
 

Last edited by GGG; 04-25-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Insert QUOTE codes
  #4  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Stuart S's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 5,262
Received 2,215 Likes on 1,439 Posts
Default

Absolutely. All 5.0L JLR engines produced before (someone help me out, here - 2015?) are vulnerable. You're looking at a 2012 XKR, so you're definitely at risk, even if the pump has already been replaced because there have been so many different pumps. I had the water pump in my 2013 XJ 5.0L SC replaced under warranty at 30K miles, and it will probably fail again. I'm always paying attention for the telltale aroma of coolant. Just a minor inconvenience.

P.S. See this thread from the XJ Forum for the history of the 5.0L water pump, including all the part numbers. The latest version is made in Italy.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/
 

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-24-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
  #5  
Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 198
Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

The water pump costs about a $1k at the dealer to replace, less at an indie. You are buying a car that cost around 90-100k when new. Repairs will be expensive. My water pump failed at around 30k miles also. If you worry about having to spend a thousand bucks every few years, you should look at other cars. Check the dash pad leather, rear LED's in tail lights, TPMS warnings, Make sure AC blows cold instantly, if not you have sticking DPSV that the dealer will want to change out the compressor for $2500.00. Tires will last about 8-10k miles. Brakes about 25-30k. Supercharger rattling noise at idle caused by worn coupling / snout / shaft / Spring. $1400.00 to fix at dealer.
You get the idea, just be prepared for what you are getting into.
 
  #6  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 37
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stuart S View Post
Absolutely. All 5.0L JLR engines produced before (someone help me out, here - 2015?) are vulnerable. You're looking at a 2012 XKR, so you're definitely at risk, even if the pump has already been replaced because there have been so many different pumps. I had the water pump in my 2013 XJ 5.0L SC replaced under warranty at 30K miles, and it will probably fail again. I'm always paying attention for the telltale aroma of coolant. Just a minor inconvenience.

P.S. See this thread from the XJ Forum for the history of the 5.0L water pump, including all the part numbers. The latest version is made in Italy.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/
Hey Stuart S - Thanks for the post and info. Actually, it was the OP that is looking for a 2012 and originally asked the question. I just purchased a 2010 and was just inquiring about the water pumps on those. What you said is good for me to note. I have just a "very slight" tale tell scent of antifreeze on mine "occasionally". For the life of me I have not been able to pinpoint the [email protected] leak if there is any. There is nothing dripping on the lower frame covers. Also, I have marked the reservoir tank and have not noticed an drop in coolant in 350 miles since I have owned it. If it has leaked any, it would definitely be < 10mm or less that has dropped in the reservoir tank. I have snooped around the entire motor with my inspection scope and can't really find anything significant in ways of any leak. Only thing I can't really get a visual on is the weep hole on the water pump.

I stopped in at the Jag dealership and they told me I was at least "on top" of things. They said they certainly could bring the vehicle in and look it over if I wanted. Might cost $100 or so. They recommended for me to just keep and eye on things. So, I guess for the time being I will just hold tight and monitor as I go.
 
  #7  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,647
Received 1,293 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jeffu View Post
Hey Stuart S - Thanks for the post and info. Actually, it was the OP that is looking for a 2012 and originally asked the question. I just purchased a 2010 and was just inquiring about the water pumps on those. What you said is good for me to note. I have just a "very slight" tale tell scent of antifreeze on mine "occasionally". For the life of me I have not been able to pinpoint the [email protected] leak if there is any. There is nothing dripping on the lower frame covers. Also, I have marked the reservoir tank and have not noticed an drop in coolant in 350 miles since I have owned it. If it has leaked any, it would definitely be < 10mm or less that has dropped in the reservoir tank. I have snooped around the entire motor with my inspection scope and can't really find anything significant in ways of any leak. Only thing I can't really get a visual on is the weep hole on the water pump.

I stopped in at the Jag dealership and they told me I was at least "on top" of things. They said they certainly could bring the vehicle in and look it over if I wanted. Might cost $100 or so. They recommended for me to just keep and eye on things. So, I guess for the time being I will just hold tight and monitor as I go.
Take it slow as you are new to the car and getting a little paranoid reading some of these posts. As for the water pump it's a wait and see so all you need to do is a weekly check of the fluids. If you want to check the weep hole in the WP then remove the plastic belly pan and look up at the pump. Move the pulley around and watch it while it's running. Also take a coolant system pressure test and let it sit over night. You will be hearing all kinds of new noises to you and almost all of them will be normal. Oil changes are good for 7500-10,000 miles or once a year. Get yourself one of the methods being used by form members to live monitor water temp and battery voltage. It will give you a little more comfort while driving. Enjoy the ride.
 
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-26-2019)
  #8  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Wales, PA. USA
Posts: 102
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

So all of this info is great and very informative. But if you read the forums and opinions of a few you will become paranoid !!!
I will share my experience as limited as it is with my 2010 XKR. I purchased it at a jaguar dealer in a very rich part of town. The used car manager was a true used car salesman telling me everything I wanted to hear about how he personally knows the last owner and they serviced the car impeccable blah blah blah. The car fax told a complete different story, in fact the car wasnít even from the area. But the carfax did show good maintenance history and no reported accidents. So I purchased it,.41k miles on her... and I bought a 3 year 36k mile extended warranty for 3,400 bucks. I also negotiated in the sale price two new front tires and an oil change dealer asking price 30k, purchase price 26.5k + warranty

i then fixed most of the little things wrong with her over the winter. Powder coated the wheels added new rear tires, paint correction and paint chip repair. New decals on brake Calipers, painted rotor hats black, fixed glove box dropping and added a Movee IPod blue tooth to stream music (must have)

Since October of last year, Iíve put 1000 miles on her and had her at the dealer 4 times.
1. Oil leak front main seal, which included coolant flush. While in had them replace both belts my cost 50 bucks, rest covered under warranty
2. Found intake tube bands loose when I got home, took back to dealer
3.Coolant leak. Lower coolant hose coolant flush again. Free
4. Coolant leak again, water pump ( second pump) free again all covered under extended warrant

I've almost got my moneyís worth on the ext warranty ! Best peace of mind Iíve ever bought and still 2.5 years left. Woot woot
 
  #9  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 37
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
Get yourself one of the methods being used by form members to live monitor water temp and battery voltage. It will give you a little more comfort while driving. Enjoy the ride.
Yes, I need to take a breath and just relax. I know I am doing what I should be doing by monitoring the coolant level. I might take the car over to a buddy of mine and put it on the lift and pull the belly pan so I can have a visual of the weep hole. In reality what is the worst that can happen the damn pump gives out and I have to replace it. Not the end of the world! Yes, these cars might be a bit more expensive to operate and maintain but I knew that before purchasing it. Such is Life.

I did install a battery monitor. I use these little gizmos for our work vans to monitor the AUX battery hooked up to the inverter. I had to get creative in mounting it. I choose a GoPro box....Ha,Ha. I think it turned out pretty nice. Easy enough to remove at any time if I need to.

 
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-27-2019)
  #10  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,647
Received 1,293 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=jeffu;2061605]Yes, I need to take a breath and just relax. I know I am doing what I should be doing by monitoring the coolant level. I might take the car over to a buddy of mine and put it on the lift and pull the belly pan so I can have a visual of the weep hole. In reality what is the worst that can happen the damn pump gives out and I have to replace it. Not the end of the world! Yes, these cars might be a bit more expensive to operate and maintain but I knew that before purchasing it. Such is Life.

I did install a battery monitor. I use these little gizmos for our work vans to monitor the AUX battery hooked up to the inverter. I had to get creative in mounting it. I choose a GoPro box....Ha,Ha. I think it turned out pretty nice. Easy enough to remove at any time if I need to.

OK cool. I use this .


 
  #11  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Cee Jay's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kaysville, Utah, US
Posts: 5,412
Received 1,142 Likes on 852 Posts
Default

Novel mounting spot in the back like that, but out of the way and still accessible. I like it.

Me though, I chose a different route:
 
  #12  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 PM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,647
Received 1,293 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
Novel mounting spot in the back like that, but out of the way and still accessible. I like it.

Me though, I chose a different route:
I was considering but I run with the nav. screen up all of the time so it wouldn't work for me. Good show.
 
  #13  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 37
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
Novel mounting spot in the back like that, but out of the way and still accessible. I like it.

Me though, I chose a different route:
Right on! UMMM....I'm very intrigued now. How? Are you interfacing with another tablet?
 
  #14  
Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Cee Jay's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kaysville, Utah, US
Posts: 5,412
Received 1,142 Likes on 852 Posts
Default

It's a thread started by Sean W. Not a long read, and was actually pretty easy to accomplish;

Replacement of HKS Camp2
 
  #15  
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 37
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Very cool, thanks for that! I figured it was probably posted before and I appreciate you supplying the link!
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
XxSlowpokexX
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
2
02-01-2016 05:54 PM
o2manyfish
XK / XKR ( X150 )
0
03-22-2012 11:21 PM
Martigre
PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds
0
11-30-2010 05:32 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 xk with 22,000 miles


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: