Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   303 or RaggTopp - which do you use ? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/303-raggtopp-do-you-use-183374/)

myexcursion 06-05-2017 06:23 PM

303 or RaggTopp - which do you use ?

Looking to treat my top for the summer and trying to choose between 303 or RaggTopp. Which have you used and how do they compare in terms of -

Ease of application
Ease of cleanup surrounding paint/glass
End Result of being water repellent
How much UV Protection to fading
Lasts months or a few washes
Does it run and create marks on paint/glass after getting wet

My XK is really only a sunny day weekender and so far only came out in the rain the day I brought her home :)

Cee Jay 06-05-2017 06:40 PM

I use 303, and while it CAN be messy to apply, I choose to use a lint-free cloth and really saturate it. That way I can control edges and such better. No clean-up.
I don't have streaks anywhere and it leaves a nice color and uniformity.
It does last months on my XKR, but then again I park in a garage. Water beads off six months later, but I reapply every six months regardless.
I've never tried RaggTopp.

GBCat 06-05-2017 07:21 PM

Just cleaned and applied protectant using the RaggTopp system. Worked well although you need to cover the car to keep the protectant off the paint work as it sprays out as a very fine mist. Recommend the product.
2005 XKR (triple black)
1974 MGB (sold)
1959 MGA TWIN CAM (sold)

pwpacp 06-05-2017 09:29 PM

GBCat,
I too just applied RaggTopp today. Seemed to go on very easily though, yes, I did mask and cover the paint & glass areas. I don't think this car has ever had top treatment and am hoping it will now bead water rather than soaking into the fabric.

At some point a previous owner appears to have (mis) used a power washer on the top and did some cosmetic damage. RaggTopp won't improve the looks but I'm hopeful it will make the top shed water again.

If this product doesn't do the job I'll move on to 303.

Fingers crossed.

kj07xk 06-06-2017 12:59 AM

Been using 303, applied with a 1.5 inch paint brush. Looks great when dried, beads nicely in the rain. I do it annually, and its currently overdue for a new application.
Member richzak was a strong promoter of it, and he wasn't wrong.

mosesbotbol 06-06-2017 07:51 AM

I like RaggTopp. Easy to apply and used it twice a season. Cover the the windows and windshield with a towel when applying and apply in the sun so it bakes in.

I like 303 for exterior vinyl/rubber protector. Easy to apply, no soak time and lasts pretty well.

themorningman 06-06-2017 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1698310)
Been using 303, applied with a 1.5 inch paint brush. Looks great when dried, beads nicely in the rain. I do it annually, and its currently overdue for a new application.

Totally agree with kj07xk on 303 and the process of using a brush to apply. I followed richzak's instructions and wasnt disappointed. No need to mask anything. If there is an accidental run, just wipe it off with a dry rag. I just applied 303 this past weekend in preparation for the hot summer days ahead. Also, 303 is recommended by Sunbrella.

tnt10 06-06-2017 06:09 PM

+1

jehart49 06-06-2017 06:09 PM

My top shop recommended and uses RaggTop. I tried it but water didn't bead on it. A year later, I used 303 and the water still beads 6 months later.

I just sprayed it on after masking everything and it came out fine. I imagine that brushing it on may give a heavier and more even coverage.

tampamark 06-06-2017 06:20 PM

The Raggtop versus 303 is going to be subjective answers. I used Raggtop on my previous porsche and it worked well. I have been using 303 on the Jag with success.

I find the brush method much to wasteful of the product. I simply partially open the top and lay an old sheet over the windshield and through the cockpit. With the rear of the top in open position I move the sheet over the rear. This so that I don't get any overspray, plus I can brush in spots that are difficult to cover. I use a random cardboard piece that I make close to size for rear windshield. Because of Amazon I always have plenty of corrugate to pick from. Don't spray outside as any wind messes up the coverage.

Only takes 10 minutes and I get much more usage out of the bottle.

jagtoes 06-06-2017 08:05 PM

So what are the benefits of doing this if you don't drive in the rain and you garage the car at night. Just wondering the need if you are just a cruiser where the top is down from start to finish of the drive.

LoudHogRider 06-06-2017 08:09 PM

+2

tampamark 06-06-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1698816)
So what are the benefits of doing this if you don't drive in the rain and you garage the car at night. Just wondering the need if you are just a cruiser where the top is down from start to finish of the drive.

Simple answer, none. To take it further I question the general necessity.

I have a friend that has never treated his top and it looks fine after 10 years. Doesn't leak, has normal fade. Daily driver in Florida with full exposure to elements.

ralphwg 06-06-2017 11:54 PM

I am a brush guy with the 303 too. I tried the spray the first time around and found it to be messy even after shielding the glass and body. The brush took about 15 minutes and worked well.

Firecat17 06-07-2017 12:51 AM

Two words... Ragg Topp

davchr 06-07-2017 10:07 AM

I have used 303 for about 20 years on various cars. DON'T get it on the paint or rubber. Comes off glass fine.

Works great.

Zooliu 06-07-2017 10:17 AM

I'm curious, if you're supposed to be careful with the paint do you all roll the windows down and even start the convertible top retraction slightly to get it away from the edges or do you just do it as is and keep it simple? I'll be doing this this weekend. Thx

mosesbotbol 06-07-2017 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zooliu (Post 1699156)
I'm curious, if you're supposed to be careful with the paint do you all roll the windows down and even start the convertible top retraction slightly to get it away from the edges or do you just do it as is and keep it simple? I'll be doing this this weekend. Thx

I put a towel folded between the fabric roof and window. Garbage bag works too. Crude cover of the glass and touching paint is all that's needed.

flyc2c 06-07-2017 12:00 PM

Neither.

tampamark 06-07-2017 12:03 PM

That is what I do, crack the top and just pull an old sheet over the windshield and through cabin. I hold pull it up close to edges when by the sides so spray doesn't get in cabin, your windows will be down with top unlatched.

Do what makes you comfortable, if you try one way and don't like it scrap that method.