Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   AC blower fan help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/ac-blower-fan-help-218444/)

badicedog 05-29-2019 04:37 PM

AC blower fan help

Hi guys, so my blower fan started making a slight chirping noise from time to time. I’m guessing it’s time to replace.... How difficult is it to do? Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!

Reverend Sam 05-29-2019 04:40 PM

It's literally a 5 minute job. It's easier than changing a tire. I took mine out and put it back in earlier today. It's held in with three screws.

Reverend Sam 05-29-2019 05:04 PM

I made my last post 20 minutes ago. In that time I found my camera, found the SD card, grabbed my tools, and made a video of removing and reinstalling the blower motor. I'll upload it to YouTube after I edit it. It might not be any good, it's really dark down there and I didn't have a light handy.

badicedog 05-29-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2077647)
I made my last post 20 minutes ago. In that time I found my camera, found the SD card, grabbed my tools, and made a video of removing and reinstalling the blower motor. I'll upload it to YouTube after I edit it. It might not be any good, it's really dark down there and I didn't have a light handy.

Thanks a million Sam! I really appreciate it.

Reverend Sam 05-29-2019 05:44 PM

Here's the video:

Reverend Sam 05-29-2019 05:48 PM

And yeah... I've got some water dripping. It's an issue I'm working on. That's why I had the blower motor out earlier today.

badicedog 05-29-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2077669)
And yeah... I've got some water dripping. It's an issue I'm working on. That's why I had the blower motor out earlier today.

Just watched the video. Thank you so much. Now I’m wondering if I got the same duck bill problem and if that is the root cause of my blower motor making intermittent creaking noises

Reverend Sam 05-29-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by badicedog (Post 2077697)
Just watched the video. Thank you so much. Now I’m wondering if I got the same duck bill problem and if that is the root cause of my blower motor making intermittent creaking noises

I was literally going to make a video today showing how to replace the blower control module and another showing how to remove and repair the blower. My blower stopped working a few days ago. I was thinking about buying one, but they are $110 for a cheap one. So I decided to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. The only thing wrong with it was that water had gotten into the motor and the motor brushes weren't making good contact with the rotor. I sprayed it out with WD-40, reinstalled it, and now it runs like a champ.

Anyway... I didn't make the video because each time I started to record the camera would stop. I eventually realized that the SD card I was using was too slow to record 1080P video.

Later this week (Friday maybe?) I'll make those videos. The blower video might save you $110. Or... you could take it apart sans video. Its really simple. The fan comes off by squeezing the little spring clip and removing it. Then you can slide the fan off of the shaft. Then there are two Phillips screws on the bottom side. Remove those and the whole motor comes free of the plastic. Lube that bad boy up and dare it to make any noise.

badicedog 05-29-2019 08:46 PM

Thank you, I will lube that puppy up tomorrow.

gkubrak 11-12-2019 03:14 PM

Nice.

I'm getting this squeeky noise also, sounds like blower motor. Was looking at replacements but too much $. Good to know i can just fix it instead.

badicedog 11-12-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by gkubrak (Post 2153277)
Nice.

I'm getting this squeeky noise also, sounds like blower motor. Was looking at replacements but too much $. Good to know i can just fix it instead.

seriously the easiest quick fix ever. Just be careful removing the fabric cover underneath the glove box. I ripped mine and had a shoe repair shop sew a Velcro strip for easy removal/securement.

Cee Jay 11-12-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by badicedog (Post 2153291)
seriously the easiest quick fix ever. Just be careful removing the fabric cover underneath the glove box. I ripped mine and had a shoe repair shop sew a Velcro strip for easy removal/securement.

OK, but for ME, I hope you can tell me how to do it on a '13 F150.... ???

badicedog 11-12-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2153304)
OK, but for ME, I hope you can tell me how to do it on a '13 F150.... ???

I also have a 2014 Lincoln MKX, blower fix is the same. 3 screws and blower motor drops out.

Cee Jay 11-12-2019 04:16 PM

Seriously? Man, I was just messin' with ya. But hey, thanks! Now I can get rid of that stupid sound!

gkubrak 11-12-2019 08:33 PM

I spoke too soon... now it has died completely. I have it out now, plugged it to a 12v power source and it spun. Squeeky and rough, but it ran. Checked the fuse and relay and they seemed good. Next I will turn the car on to see if there is any power at the connector.

Is there anything else I should look at? I'm hoping its just the motor and not a module.

Cee Jay 11-12-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by gkubrak (Post 2153421)
I spoke too soon... now it has died completely. I have it out now, plugged it to a 12v power source and it spun. Squeeky and rough, but it ran. Checked the fuse and relay and they seemed good. Next I will turn the car on to see if there is any power at the connector.

Is there anything else I should look at? I'm hoping its just the motor and not a module.

Did maybe the Duckbill not let your heater box get dry, therefore corroding your fan motor? Since you say it ran Squeeky and Ruff, that's your main problem. A person CAN completely disassemble most motors, clean them up and reassemble them, as long as they are not potted. You may have to drill rivets or bend brackets, but they are VERY simple things.

badicedog 11-12-2019 10:43 PM

Now that you mentioned it, mine was very rusty. I had to scrub it with steel wool before lubricating it. How would I know if I have this dreaded duckbill problem? 2009 XK

Cee Jay 11-12-2019 10:46 PM

You have a 2009, therefore your duckbill will either stick close eventually, or it already has.
Lots of threads on it, search Duckbill.
The drain for the condensation in the heater/AC box either clogs or gets baked rigid, making normal AC condensation water stay in the heater AC box. Sometimes it drips onto the pax floorboard, other times people can hear sloshing sounds from that area.

gkubrak 11-12-2019 11:35 PM

I doubt its the duck bill. There was no moister or water traces around the motor. After I took it out, cleaned it, and lubed it.... it spun just fine with 12V. So now I ruled out the motor.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4f231cd851.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...99022689e7.jpg

The voltage at the connector, with the climate ON, was only 10.4V. It did not vary as I changed the fan speed. When I installed the fan, every time I turned the climate on/off it would run for a second then stop.

I'm at a loss here, do I have a bad module? Not sure how to further diagnose this.

peterv8 11-13-2019 04:28 AM

If I remember correct there was some else on here who had the same problem. Do a search on this forum and see if you can find it. 😊